DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Pyrotek45 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 pm
Thats why he should make it open source.
There is no should about it. He may choose at some point to do that... or not. That is his business, and none of yours.

Thanks, Richard. Bought, downloaded, and installed as soon as I read the specs. Well worth the upgrade price. I now just need another 24 hours in the day...

Proken wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 pm So.... someone actually tested this And how is your experience?
Similar enough to Dune 2 that the learning curve is minimal.

Different enough that you can make sounds with this you literally couldn't make with Dune 2.

Biggest differences, IMO

Wavetable Editor
Additional ARP and functionality

Even without the new filters and FX, the above alone greatly expands the capabilities of the synth.

In addition to that, I think the overall sound quality has improved. Dune 2 had a more "plastic" almost Tone 2 kind of sound to it though not quite as pronounced. Dune 3 appears more neutral.

Also, so far anyway, it appears to be rock solid. I have yet to run into any bugs and I'm running it on a DAW version that isn't even supported anymore so I doubt they even tested for it.

All in all, I'm impressed and pleased.

Is it what I would call a "true" 3.0 as 2 was to 1? No. But it gives me enough in addition that, for me anyway, the upgrade price is acceptable. Please note I said "acceptable" and not "Holy cow, what a great deal" because it's not. Not considering updates made for other synths that were free or for a lot less money.

Still, I'm content. There's enough here that I never have to open Dune 2 ever again, which was, at the time, my favorite synth.

Dune 3 only improves on it.

Enough for you? Don't know. Only you can make that decision.

Maybe the programming was a lot more work than the results suggest at first glance. After all, with software one pays mostly for the effort of the programmers. If he was working on v3 for, say, half a year, the update price is justified. Especially if it is rock solid as you say.

Reading all the comments i have a feeling im one of few who actually loves Dune 3 updated GUI. Talking about its skin i noticed its not realy scalable in the sense of custom resizing like serum or uhe plugins or sylenth but its actual made skin version just bigger or smaller. That said Richard probably already couldve made this happen in Dune version 2 and could at least make bigger GUI update for those who dont want to update to version 3.

Look from this perspective. I like Dune 3 but new features arent interesting enough at this moment for me to upgrade but bigger GUI is because i have spent few hundreds on a 1440p monitor, that means Synapse is forcing me to upgrade to version 3 just to be able to make sense what im pressing even tho i already spend money on previous 2 versions.

So basicly you are cut off even from simple OS/technical compatibility support if you refuse to buy a numbered update.

I want to buy the update and i want to support the development, because i like the Synth alot. But now i have double thoughts and question myself why should i support Synapse if the company does not support me and other customers who use higher resolution screens? :-)

Im not ranting but i really find Synapse lacking a bit in loyalty for theyr customers.

Elektronisch wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm.... Im not ranting but i really find Synapse lacking a bit in loyalty for theyr customers.
When I feel someone isn't supporting me (as is the case here), I'll respond by not supporting them.

In a "new" version (sorry - and nothing synister - but I really still see DUNE 2) of this synth I'm not seeing several improved ADSR envelopes, non-idyosyncratic osc mixer and non-integer dials? Fine, Synapse Audio won't see more money from me.

I think that is fair.

Edit:

I wish they would just fix the CPU usage on Serum. It would be search over for that type of synth for me.

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:19 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 pm.... Im not ranting but i really find Synapse lacking a bit in loyalty for theyr customers.
When I feel someone isn't supporting me (as is the case here), I'll respond by not supporting them.

In a "new" version (sorry - and nothing synister - but I really still see DUNE 2) of this synth I'm not seeing several improved ADSR envelopes, non-idyosyncratic osc mixer and non-integer dials? Fine, Synapse Audio won't see more money from me.

I think that is fair.

Edit:

I wish they would just fix the CPU usage on Serum. It would be search over for that type of synth for me.
Funny you should mention that. When I wrote my suggestion for the envelopes pages ago, I was looking at the GUI and wondering if there were no ADSR's except filter and amp. Even Waves Element has a third ADSR. MSEG envelopes are not as intuitive and practical for normal usage in my view.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:29 pm Funny you should mention that. When I wrote my suggestion for the envelopes pages ago, I was looking at the GUI and wondering if there were no ADSR's except filter and amp. Even Waves Element has a third ADSR. MSEG envelopes are not as intuitive and practical for normal usage in my view.
Nothing wrong with MSEG ..... For MSEG type of usage.

Otherwise, at least one additional ADSR (not connected to amp or filter) is a must.

DUNE, as a powehouse, versatile, Swiss armY knife type of synth has none? That's just great.

In this regard, the synth is still at version 1.

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:40 pm Nothing wrong with MSEG ..... For MSEG type of usage.

Otherwise, at least one additional ADSR (not connected to amp or filter) is a must.
i thought i would miss the mod env from V1, but the msegs are much more versatile, and therefore much more useful.

Richard did an excellent job with this one. Great DSP programming. Great sound and I really like the improvements. I bought it last night. Very pleased.

That said, I would have liked to see some patches from Aiyn Zahev and more skins.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:49 pm Anyone else find the Synapse terminology confusing?
Shouldn't it be 520 waves rather than oscillators per note? I mean, the whole synth seems to be a 3-oscillator synth, right? 8)
One layer has three oscilators of which 2 of them can be set to 32 osc's
So that 32 times 2 = 64 + 1 subosc = 65
This is for one layer , there are 8 layers
SO 65*8=520
No go crazy in the mod matrix and control/modulate each layer independently :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Nice one Richard and all at Synapse, great update.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 pm Someone post some v3 audio examples to interrupt this v1 off-topic stuff, please. For instance a filter sweep of the new filters. Or the shimmer reverb.
No idea if these are new filters,I didn't have Dune 2

4 filter sweeps at 0,33,66 & 100 resonance

POLARIS 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/yom5rxnq?token=07cca9e9 ... 774517f7c8

SATURN 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/1duzehgd?token=4cbbce8d ... 01f2ad3a19

PRO 12db Sweep
https://clyp.it/krq23fgm?token=f9e2e222 ... ec5409bde6

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:49 pm Anyone else find the Synapse terminology confusing?
Shouldn't it be 520 waves rather than oscillators per note? I mean, the whole synth seems to be a 3-oscillator synth, right? 8)
One layer has three oscilators of which 2 of them can be set to 32 osc's
So that 32 times 2 = 64 + 1 subosc = 65
This is for one layer , there are 8 layers
SO 65*8=520
No go crazy in the mod matrix and control/modulate each layer independently :tu:
That's my problem, what is an oscillator? What do you mean by "setting an oscillator to 32 oscillators"? Does Sylenth1 have 32 oscillators according to Dune terminology (2 oscillators x 8 waves x 2 layers)?

ere2learn wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:23 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 pm Someone post some v3 audio examples to interrupt this v1 off-topic stuff, please. For instance a filter sweep of the new filters. Or the shimmer reverb.
No idea if these are new filters,I didn't have Dune 2

4 filter sweeps at 0,33,66 & 100 resonance

POLARIS 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/yom5rxnq?token=07cca9e9 ... 774517f7c8

SATURN 24db Sweep
https://clyp.it/1duzehgd?token=4cbbce8d ... 01f2ad3a19

PRO 12db Sweep
https://clyp.it/krq23fgm?token=f9e2e222 ... ec5409bde6
Yes... those are all new filters :D :D
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Return to “Instruments”