DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
14904 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Proken wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:11 pm
So.... someone actually tested this And how is your experience?
Similar enough to Dune 2 that the learning curve is minimal.

Different enough that you can make sounds with this you literally couldn't make with Dune 2.

Biggest differences, IMO

Wavetable Editor
Additional ARP and functionality

Even without the new filters and FX, the above alone greatly expands the capabilities of the synth.

In addition to that, I think the overall sound quality has improved. Dune 2 had a more "plastic" almost Tone 2 kind of sound to it though not quite as pronounced. Dune 3 appears more neutral.

Also, so far anyway, it appears to be rock solid. I have yet to run into any bugs and I'm running it on a DAW version that isn't even supported anymore so I doubt they even tested for it.

All in all, I'm impressed and pleased.

Is it what I would call a "true" 3.0 as 2 was to 1? No. But it gives me enough in addition that, for me anyway, the upgrade price is acceptable. Please note I said "acceptable" and not "Holy cow, what a great deal" because it's not. Not considering updates made for other synths that were free or for a lot less money.

Still, I'm content. There's enough here that I never have to open Dune 2 ever again, which was, at the time, my favorite synth.

Dune 3 only improves on it.

Enough for you? Don't know. Only you can make that decision.

chk071
KVRAF
18933 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:52 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:32 pm
Pyrotek45 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:18 am

Thats why he should make it open source.
There is no should about it. He may choose at some point to do that... or not. That is his business, and none of yours.
Exactly. Stupid discussion.

Hink
Rad Grandad
28069 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Hink wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:33 am
AnX wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:24 am
Pyrotek45 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:14 am

The full version of dune1 is not free. The free versions lack the effects section iirc. If you know where you can find a free copy of dune1 legally, show me.
both versions have some limitations, fx and mm i think, but pretty much the full versions.

again, its not really your concern. why not email Rich and ask him instead of trashing a thread for a new product, about something that hasnt been updated for 8 years
this...and the subject is closed

____________________________________________________________________________________
apparently this being at the bottom of the last page got missed
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Maybe the programming was a lot more work than the results suggest at first glance. After all, with software one pays mostly for the effort of the programmers. If he was working on v3 for, say, half a year, the update price is justified. Especially if it is rock solid as you say.

wagtunes
KVRAF
14904 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Hink wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:53 pm
Hink wrote:
AnX wrote:
Pyrotek45 wrote:

The full version of dune1 is not free. The free versions lack the effects section iirc. If you know where you can find a free copy of dune1 legally, show me.
both versions have some limitations, fx and mm i think, but pretty much the full versions.

again, its not really your concern. why not email Rich and ask him instead of trashing a thread for a new product, about something that hasnt been updated for 8 years

____________________________________________________________________________________
Hey Hink, just start suspending people. They'll stop. :hihi:

Hink
Rad Grandad

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:03 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:56 pm
Hink wrote:
Hink wrote:
AnX wrote:
Pyrotek45 wrote:

well, it's a beautiful, balmy sunday afternoon here in Maine (actually made it to 28°f), I've been trying to take a dip in the lake through the woods but every time I get close I get another notification...now my hole froze over and I gotta redrill it :x :hihi:

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2855 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Reading all the comments i have a feeling im one of few who actually loves Dune 3 updated GUI. Talking about its skin i noticed its not realy scalable in the sense of custom resizing like serum or uhe plugins or sylenth but its actual made skin version just bigger or smaller. That said Richard probably already couldve made this happen in Dune version 2 and could at least make bigger GUI update for those who dont want to update to version 3.

Look from this perspective. I like Dune 3 but new features arent interesting enough at this moment for me to upgrade but bigger GUI is because i have spent few hundreds on a 1440p monitor, that means Synapse is forcing me to upgrade to version 3 just to be able to make sense what im pressing even tho i already spend money on previous 2 versions.

So basicly you are cut off even from simple OS/technical compatibility support if you refuse to buy a numbered update.

I want to buy the update and i want to support the development, because i like the Synth alot. But now i have double thoughts and question myself why should i support Synapse if the company does not support me and other customers who use higher resolution screens? :-)

Im not ranting but i really find Synapse lacking a bit in loyalty for theyr customers.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Hink wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:03 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Hink wrote:
Hink wrote:
AnX wrote:
Pyrotek45 wrote:

well, it's a beautiful, balmy sunday afternoon here in Maine (actually made it to 28°f), I've been trying to take a dip in the lake through the woods but every time I get close I get another notification...now my hole froze over and I gotta redrill it :x :hihi:
:D
Sounds like you are neighbors with orcas, polar bears and such beasts. Greetings to the Eskimos :hihi:
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt
addled muppet weed
41881 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Hink wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Hink wrote:
Hink wrote:
AnX wrote:
Pyrotek45 wrote:

well, that explains the bigfoot sighting alert text i just received.
ill cancel the plane.

Hink
Rad Grandad

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:15 pm

vurt wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:09 pm
Hink wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Hink wrote:
Hink wrote:
AnX wrote:

well, that explains the bigfoot sighting alert text i just received.
ill cancel the plane.
yet i is not bigfoot :shrug:

vurt
addled muppet weed
41881 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:17 pm

:smack:

Ghost Dog
KVRist
184 posts since 2 Jun, 2015 from Belgrade, Serbia

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:04 pm
.... Im not ranting but i really find Synapse lacking a bit in loyalty for theyr customers.
When I feel someone isn't supporting me (as is the case here), I'll respond by not supporting them.

In a "new" version (sorry - and nothing synister - but I really still see DUNE 2) of this synth I'm not seeing several improved ADSR envelopes, non-idyosyncratic osc mixer and non-integer dials? Fine, Synapse Audio won't see more money from me.

I think that is fair.

Edit:

I wish they would just fix the CPU usage on Serum. It would be search over for that type of synth for me.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:04 pm
.... Im not ranting but i really find Synapse lacking a bit in loyalty for theyr customers.
When I feel someone isn't supporting me (as is the case here), I'll respond by not supporting them.

In a "new" version (sorry - and nothing synister - but I really still see DUNE 2) of this synth I'm not seeing several improved ADSR envelopes, non-idyosyncratic osc mixer and non-integer dials? Fine, Synapse Audio won't see more money from me.

I think that is fair.

Edit:

I wish they would just fix the CPU usage on Serum. It would be search over for that type of synth for me.
Funny you should mention that. When I wrote my suggestion for the envelopes pages ago, I was looking at the GUI and wondering if there were no ADSR's except filter and amp. Even Waves Element has a third ADSR. MSEG envelopes are not as intuitive and practical for normal usage in my view.

Ghost Dog
KVRist
184 posts since 2 Jun, 2015 from Belgrade, Serbia

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 pm
Funny you should mention that. When I wrote my suggestion for the envelopes pages ago, I was looking at the GUI and wondering if there were no ADSR's except filter and amp. Even Waves Element has a third ADSR. MSEG envelopes are not as intuitive and practical for normal usage in my view.
Nothing wrong with MSEG ..... For MSEG type of usage.

Otherwise, at least one additional ADSR (not connected to amp or filter) is a must.

DUNE, as a powehouse, versatile, Swiss armY knife type of synth has none? That's just great.

In this regard, the synth is still at version 1.

AnX
KVRAF
3946 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Ghost Dog wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 pm
Nothing wrong with MSEG ..... For MSEG type of usage.

Otherwise, at least one additional ADSR (not connected to amp or filter) is a must.
i thought i would miss the mod env from V1, but the msegs are much more versatile, and therefore much more useful.

Return to “Instruments”