DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
tony10000
KVRist
259 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 am

v1o wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:41 am
Dune 3 has been in development for a very long time I'm sure. Possibly more than a year? If I remember correctly they started after they finished The Legend. A huge amount of effort has gone into this and it is definitely worth every penny.

To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Yep, why mess with success?

tony10000
KVRist
259 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:13 am

Caine123 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 am
tony10000 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:59 am
I am thinking if you don't like it or think it is worth the price, you can wait a few years for 3.5 or get something else. That said, many of us really like it and think it *is* worth the price. I believe in supporting developers who provide great products and Synapse is in my top 5. YMMV. Just my .02.
it is with everything, is it worth to get the new jeans, the new car etc. in the end these things are just products for consumers. but it is THE WAY, the treatment, the presentation, the weakness in features. nothing else.
I think the new features justify the price:

-dual filters
-dual arps
-improved oscs
-new effect algorithms (including GEQ)
-wt editor
-500 new patches

Maybe not enough for some but enough for me.

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9926 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:21 am

Pyrotek45 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:37 am
wagtunes wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 am
Pyrotek45 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 am
wagtunes wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 am
Pyrotek45 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:18 am
wagtunes wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 am
Here are some reasons why Richard would not want to either sell or give away Dune 1.

1. Too costly to maintain. Code will probably stop working on new computer systems and Richard has no intention of making any updates to it.

2. Lack of sales. Customer service headaches outweigh income.

3. Giving away alienates customers who paid for software. By removing it, it gives the software a sense of exclusivity for those who did buy it. It becomes kind of a collectors item.

And that's just off the top of my head.

But whatever the reason, it's Richard's company and he can do what he wants. I certainly wouldn't want people telling me how to run my company. Most likely I'd ignore them anyway.

You wanted Dune 1? You should have bought it when it was available.
Thats why he should make it open source.
And then the customers who paid for it feel cheated because now, as open source, you can get it for free.
Thats a fallacy as i have explained in this thread already. If someone purchased it then that means they bought it because they figured it was worth it. So no loss for them. They got a good deal, paid a price they agreed to. Making it open source doesn't make it any less of a product.

I paid full price for veber audio surge and when it went open source i was super happy. Now the code can be updated and kept alive. I paid for it at the time it was for salw and i thought it was a good price so i dont feel ripped off or anything.

If someone feels cheated because someyhing they have is being sold less or given away then oh well. They paid a pruce they agreed to at the time. Fair is fair.
Well, that's you. Some people may not feel that way. And as a developer, I don't want to take the chance that I'm going to alienate any of my customers by giving away something that I used to sell.

Imagine if one day I decide to get out of the library creation business and give away every library I ever made. How do you think my loyal customers, some who have bought all of my libraries, would feel?

Sorry, you just don't do that. And I'm sure Richard will not be giving Dune 1 away for free or making it open source.

So as Jim Croce used to say, you can spit in the wind all you want. All you're gonna get is a wet face.
Your library and softwares are two completely different things. Software can be updated by the community to future proof it. Not your library. And if one day you decided to close shop, i dont see any reason why you wouldnt want as many people to have your sounds as possible and not give them away.
If my little shop closes one day (and it probably will at some point in the -very far- future), I'll never give the libraries for free. With a few good reasons -imho-

1/ I highly respect my customers : They paid for it, and that would be betraying them to give for free what they have purchased with their hard earned money.
2/ I highly respect my peers ( Well, a lot of them at least). And that would be a bad thing to give alternatives for free while they still struggle to sell their own sounds. Nature hates emptyness, when I'll no longer want to sell my libs, some other will appear, and some others will already be there.
3/ I also respect myself : I'm very fortunate to have many people liking my work and willing to pay the price of a pizza for patches I've sweated during long months to create. Like most of you who read me, I don't work for nothing, and my hours and experience have a certain price.
Then, I'm not the least interested by the idea to have my sounds in every home. It's already the case for the homes I deserve, and I'm tbh only interested in new ones that are really connected to my real work.

Short story : You don't like my sounds, just buy something else or strictly make your own sounds, or keep your money for better things -4 cheese pizza is as a good buy as a soundbank-. You like them ? Just honor my work and dedication and buy them. In any case, you'll never get them for nothing, at least in a legal manner.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

AdvancedFollower
KVRist
215 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 am

tony10000 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 am
v1o wrote:
Dune 3 has been in development for a very long time I'm sure. Possibly more than a year? If I remember correctly they started after they finished The Legend. A huge amount of effort has gone into this and it is definitely worth every penny.

To be honest if you didn't like the workflow in D2 there is little point in expecting major changes. There are many paying customers who are fans of this workflow and would get riled up if things drastically changed too far. There's a reason why Dune 2 became a hit synth - people like the workflow.
Yeah, it's tricky. If you mess too much with the workflow, some of the old fans get upset and refuse to upgrade. If you don't change it, people will complain that there aren't enough changes to justify the upgrade. You could try to keep the old workflow while implementing something new on top, but this might make the plugin a cluttered mess...

Updates will always be incremental by their nature. If you want something completely different, buy a completely different plug-in...

carrieres
KVRAF
1581 posts since 10 Apr, 2002 from Poissy, France

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 am

Pyrotek45 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 am
Open source would make sure people can update it as times change.
You can't make every software open source because some use licensed third party libraries.

you can still buy Dune1 for $49 if you want :
Richard wrote:Dune 1 is removed because there is really no point in having D1 and D3 in the shop (makes no sense). If someone still wants Dune 1 though, they can always email us, it's not a problem they can still have it for $49 if they wish :)

AnX
KVRAF
3830 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:45 am

carrieres wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:46 am
Pyrotek45 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 am
Open source would make sure people can update it as times change.
You can't make every software open source because some use licensed third party libraries.

you can still buy Dune1 for $49 if you want :
Richard wrote:Dune 1 is removed because there is really no point in having D1 and D3 in the shop (makes no sense). If someone still wants Dune 1 though, they can always email us, it's not a problem they can still have it for $49 if they wish :)
while that is a nice gesture, it wont stop the whining, cos it wont be "updated" (even tho it has been, to V3)

Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am

recursive one wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:54 pm
- AM filters sound really very good, all of them. They are notably different to other Dune's filters. I'm somehow dissapointed that they are only LP though, I hoped for some new BP filters. Dune has now massive selection of LPs but only two BPs which both sound a bit weak IMO.
The new filters do sound really good indeed where my favorites are the Polaris and Saturn lowpass filters that i used for most of my own patches.

During the end of the beta i made a feature request for a BP version of at least one of the analog models. Seems to be on the to do list and will maybe be included in a future update.

FWIW multiple features in the wavetable editor were added due to my requests, also based on my experiences with Icarus and Serum.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Stefken
KVRian
839 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 am

AdvancedFollower wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 am
tony10000 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 am
v1o wrote:

Yeah, it's tricky. If you mess too much with the workflow, some of the old fans get upset and refuse to upgrade. If you don't change it, people will complain that there aren't enough changes to justify the upgrade. You could try to keep the old workflow while implementing something new on top, but this might make the plugin a cluttered mess...

Updates will always be incremental by their nature. If you want something completely different, buy a completely different plug-in...
Yes and no. A modern preset browser with tagging and favorites will never upset old fans.

Whywhy
KVRist
253 posts since 11 Aug, 2018

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 am

Ingonator wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am
recursive one wrote:
- AM filters sound really very good, all of them. They are notably different to other Dune's filters. I'm somehow dissapointed that they are only LP though, I hoped for some new BP filters. Dune has now massive selection of LPs but only two BPs which both sound a bit weak IMO.

The new filters do sound really good indeed where my favorites are the Polaris and Saturn lowpass filters that i used for most of my own patches.

During the end of the beta i made a feature request for a BP version of at least one of the analog models. Seems to be on the to do list and will maybe be included in a future update.

FWIW multiple features in the wavetable editor were added due to my requests, also based on my experiences with Icarus and Serum.
Hi Ingo,

During the beta , nobody requests Mpe ?

AnX
KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:12 am

i hate modern browsers, they are cumbersome bloat imo, which counts for nothing, but i still have that opinion.

every man and his dog seems happy to spout their crappy opinions, so i thought I'd chime in.

i also couldnt give feck about the WT editor, but it was by far the biggest requested by users.

for me, the filters alone are worth the price

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 am

Ingonator wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am
recursive one wrote:

Thanks, that's good to know.
+1 on analog modelled BP filter! This could definitely make me more motivated to upgrade.
AnX wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:12 am
every man and his dog seems happy to spout their crappy opinions
These miserable assholes may happen to be Synapse customers or potential customers :shrug:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:18 am

Whywhy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 am
Hi Ingo,

To be honest i did not care much about it as i never had a MPE controller so far.

Anyway since more than 2 years i got a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 controller and DUNE 3 includes a NKS implementation. All factory presets including my own should be available as NKS presets. I had tseted most of them using my controller and both Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2 software.
Partly i also used the controller mapping for doing sound design.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

AnX
KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:22 am

recursive one wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 am

AnX wrote:
These miserable assholes may happen to be Synapse customers or potential customers :shrug:
maybe, does that mean they should act like whining bitches cos they didnt get what they hoped for, or that their opinion is more valid than anyone else's?

no.

AnX
KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:25 am

Whywhy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 am

Hi Ingo,

dont recall seeing anyone request it

what was request was the option to only install what you need, not everything (ie not vst3/aax/nks etc)

dunno if that happened, havent installed release version yet

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:31 am

AnX wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:22 am
recursive one wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 am

AnX wrote:
maybe, does that mean they should act like whining bitches cos they didnt get what they hoped for, or that their opinion is more valid than anyone else's?

no.
I don't think expressing some disappointment can make anyone a whinning bitch, nor do feature requests. It's a paid upgrade (and quite pricey) after all and the competition is tough, so listening to what potential customers are saying may be a good idea.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”