DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

fmr wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:55 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 pm
sacer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am A converter from Dune1 presets into Dune3 would be realy cool feature.
Thank you very much for this update, I love the filters.
That's probably not possible when they are different synths inside. It's like asking for a converter for turning Charlatan into Omnisphere patches. Well, maybe slightly exaggerated :hihi:
In the case of DUNE I think it could be possible. I have a Yamaha TG77 (and SY99). Both are completely different from DX7, yet, the software editors I had/have for them could load DX7 banks and convert therm into SY/TG banks. The sound isn't 100% matching, but the basics were there, and fromthen on we could fine tune to our like.
it may be possible as D2/3 do contain some legacy elements, but would prob need a bit of tweaking. Also depends on parameter naming/numbering

I have the computer music version of Dune (and Antidote for Reason), so thought I'd check out it... My initial thoughts were that, it certainly sounds great and has a wide sonic capability and cool creative options. The GUI has had a nice facelift, although the main screen looks and feels very dated (the bevelled edge isn't realistic at all as a real LCD screen representation), like it's something you would have seen 10 years ago, and feels pretty clunky in operation. It's like it's replicating the limitations of real hardware when it really shouldn't be, for example.. you can only see 8 steps at any one time of a 32 step sequence in the Arp programmer.

About 25% of the screen border is padding of empty space which 20% could have otherwise been used to use provide an overview of at least 16 steps on two rows, and moving the 'Synapse Dune 3' name to the top edge of the device on a flat section. It's probably the most important section of the whole device, and it looks to have been completely ignored. I'm tempted to reskin the LCD screen aspect of it,.. Infact I just did, and resaved the .png file. Now when I eventually found the option on the screen to switch skins which are provided in different sizes, choosing them and getting them to work is like rolling a dice, in being visually corrupt or not.

Earlier I was testing it out, and then closed it, started comparing it to UHE's Hive, attempted to open up Dune 3 again and it crashed Studio One 4, just from opening it up. (It's almost as if Dune 3 went into a sulk and didn't want to play any more lol)

So yeah... it's not really trust worthy in stability with it's current release version at least on my Core I7 920 PC system.

My general view is that it sounds great, but generally feels un-finshed, rather dated in some ways and with that aspects of workflow that feels inferior to competing products of a similar focus, Hive being one example.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Bla bla bla....in the meantime i enjoy Dune 3 :D
It‘s lightyears ahead Spire and Sylenth1 even the latest iPad synths like Obsidian runs circles over them for me. But best filters and best envelopes are still in P900....oh that is just my useless opinion and not a fact.
The synth is out, the price is set. Love it or leave it.
But maybe tomorrow we can complain about the new Arturia synth and in February about Massive X etc.
It‘s the internet, we all love complaining because of our bored lifes :wink:
Last edited by Cinebient on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fmr wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:55 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 pm
sacer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am A converter from Dune1 presets into Dune3 would be realy cool feature.
Thank you very much for this update, I love the filters.
That's probably not possible when they are different synths inside. It's like asking for a converter for turning Charlatan into Omnisphere patches. Well, maybe slightly exaggerated :hihi:
In the case of DUNE I think it could be possible. I have a Yamaha TG77 (and SY99). Both are completely different from DX7, yet, the software editors I had/have for them could load DX7 banks and convert therm into SY/TG banks. The sound isn't 100% matching, but the basics were there, and fromthen on we could fine tune to our like.
They would have already converted Dune 1 presets to Dune 2 if it was possible since there was some dissatisfaction that the patches were not compatible..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:01 pm you can only see 8 steps at any one time of a 32 step sequence in the Arp programmer.
The problem is for every person who says "I want to see more" there is someone who will say "The GUI is Too Big" or "There are too many tabs or pages".

GUI design a tightrope walk between visibility, function, size, etc. To me the Dune 3 GUI is highly functional and looks great although I always welcome third party skins. It's always nice to have a choice.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Kelvin92 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:21 pm Im trying to install the demo, but its not showing up in Bitwig 2.3.4 :(
Try moving the dune.dll to new folder,works sometimes for me with Bitwig

Kelvin92 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:31 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm
Kelvin92 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:21 pm Im trying to install the demo, but its not showing up in Bitwig 2.3.4 :(

mac, pc? details are crucial if you need help...
PC, Windows 10. Installed the demo with no problems, but not showing up in my DAW. I can see the files installed in the destinated folders.
Reindex is the thing you have to do:

viewtopic.php?t=414353
The average bored guy

Comparing dune 3 to the other synths mentioned in this thread ...no dice ..
Dune 3 can do audio rate modulations ,iow modulations are processed per sample..
Modulate osc 1 --->osc 3 etcc ( settings mod.ratte = audio rate )
It has been there since dune 2

Few vstis do that , and the ones that do are mostly (semi) modular synths .

The amount and quality of filters far surpasses any softsynth mentioned here , zebra is a close second but you'll only find those in the dark zebra , xmf filters are nice ..but imho imferior to dune 3
And let's keep sylenth and spire out of this thread , seriously :tu:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm And let's keep sylenth and spire out of this thread , seriously :tu:
I'd suggest keeping any other synth out of this thread because it's Dune 3 thread :)

For the record, Spire also allows using its oscillators as modulation sources. I'm not sure if it actually runs at audio rate but it can sound very cool.
Last edited by recursive one on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 pm

PC, Windows 10. Installed the demo with no problems, but not showing up in my DAW. I can see the files installed in the destinated folders.
restart/rescan?
I had the same problem on Windows 10. Never happened with any other VSTs and I have a lot. Tried reinstalling, re-scanning, re-indexing, restarting, rebooting... nothing worked.

I had Dune 2 installed too. Renamed that DLL from DUNE2.dll to DUNE42.dll and then DUNE3.dll to DUNE2.dll. That worked and both showed up. Renamed both to their original names and its worked fine since then.

This was in Bitwig 2.4.3. The DLLs are located in the vst plugin location for x64. This is:
C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\
on my system.

HTH

HcDoom wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:54 pm Always the same people destroy threads with copy protection whining. Always the same ones, just check the threads for each popular synth and the same "intellectuals" have same agenda - they are never satisfied with any kind of protection. You know what, you are one out of the million who has a problem, 99% of people have no issue with protection whatsoever, so, basically that means you should adapt and not vice versa. Mods are very generous on this site, if I were on mods positions, someone would get banned easily. Its like they are trolling on purpose.
One of the stupidest opinions I read in a while. Hopefully you'll never become mod, whereever.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:01 pm My general view is that it sounds great, but generally feels un-finshed, rather dated in some ways and with that aspects of workflow that feels inferior to competing products of a similar focus, Hive being one example.
Yeah, the better filters and algo's are the strong features of this update.
It would be good if SA released some sound demo"s and videos to accentuate that.
The team behind Ana2 does this nicely. They have steadily been releasing sound design videos after their sale on BF.

RobertH2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:53 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 pm

restart/rescan?
I had the same problem on Windows 10. Never happened with any other VSTs and I have a lot. Tried reinstalling, re-scanning, re-indexing, restarting, rebooting... nothing worked.

I had Dune 2 installed too. Renamed that DLL from DUNE2.dll to DUNE42.dll and then DUNE3.dll to DUNE2.dll. That worked and both showed up. Renamed both to their original names and its worked fine since then.

This was in Bitwig 2.4.3. The DLLs are located in the vst plugin location for x64. This is:
C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\
on my system.

HTH
you def shouldnt need to do that, i'll pass on the info, see if there is a problem

are your other vsts in \Program Files?

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm The amount and quality of filters far surpasses any softsynth mentioned here , zebra is a close second but you'll only find those in the dark zebra , xmf filters are nice ..but imho imferior to dune 3
And let's keep sylenth and spire out of this thread , seriously :tu:
I don't think we have to argue about the technical side. As you say, Dune has audio rate modulation, ZDF self resonant filters and all that, so, of course, technically it is superior to the synths you mentioned. Which leaves the character, which is highly subjective. And more important than anything technical, at least for me.

Cinebient wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:02 pm Bla bla bla....in the meantime i enjoy Dune 3 :D
It‘s lightyears ahead Spire and Sylenth1 even the latest iPad synths like Obsidian runs circles over them for me. But best filters and best envelopes are still in P900....oh that is just my useless opinion and not a fact.
The synth is out, the price is set. Love it or leave it.
But maybe tomorrow we can complain about the new Arturia synth and in February about Massive X etc.
It‘s the internet, we all love complaining because of our bored lifes :wink:
Lightyears is a pretty strong exaggeration. The theoretical capabilities is probably higher in D3 due to having 8 layers and more on paper features than spire but a side by side comparison (which i did last night) I would say the difference is more subjective than anything. One of the main differences I noticed is that D3 patches seem to have more detailed tweaking for velocity impacting the sound. But that difference can be made up for pretty easily. Both synths like to drench their sounds in lots of reverb and delay which makes them sound impressive on their own. That said I'll probably end up getting D3 sometime in the future, I sold off D2 a while back and it was nice seing the interface again and it sounds really good.

Return to “Instruments”