Can anyone help me decide between Dune 3 and Serum for creating Wavetables etc? (yes I have the demos of both)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vertion wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:16 am I have the filter ready to go (4.0), I can demo here. I am debating about what to do with the filter. It's the only script in FForge that exports WAV (I wrote it). I could sell it, or use it to make high quality unique wavetables and sell them for any wavetable synth. Soundsets. I'll make a sound demo tonight and place it here via Soundcloud and I'll try to include an actual wavetable here.. which anyone can open in D3, Serum, Icarus, etc. Also, screenshots of rhe filter n FF. You can also go the png route to import until serum.. the ideal image size being 2048x256 due to how Serum imports png images.
Seems interesting. One doesn't exclude the other, I imagine the people interested in the script may be mostly a diffetrent crowd from the people wanting premade wavetables. Both products could in theory market each other, and the sounddemos could be used for both products. I for one could be interested in the script if there's a straight forward step by step instruction for getting everything up and running (I haven't used scripts with FF, ever) and the price is reasonable.

Why 20148x256? I've got some 1024x1024 intended for use with 2CAudio Kaleidoscope, anything that's being left out or strangely warped in ways I'm not aware with those in Serum?

Serum works with 2048 samples per wavetable, and 256 wavetables/slices. If you used a 2048x2048 in Serum, it will interpolate the extta vertical pixels and create unintended waveforms. 2048x256 is the exact size of a Serum png with my experience. I will look into 2CAudio.

I will put the info up here for the filter/script soon and kvr can name what is fair. Shall we consider it an instrument since it generates waveforms? Long shot.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:10 am Serum works with 2048 samples per wavetable, and 256 wavetables/slices. If you used a 2048x2048 in Serum, it will interpolate the extta vertical pixels and create unintended waveforms. 2048x256 is the exact size of a Serum png with my experience. I will look into 2CAudio.

I will put the info up here for the filter/script soon and kvr can name what is fair. Shall we consider it an instrument since it generates waveforms? Long shot.
Kaleidsoscope as I understand it is a resonatorbank that reads pictures of 1024x1024 pixels as "instructions" for litterarily hundreds of resonators interpreted in some chosen scale and read in either temposynced or freerunning tempo. And an extra one on the output that I think is kind of like a 512 or 1024 band stereotremolo controlled by another 1024x1024 png image, also making various sort of polyrhythms possible by setting a different tempo for this. It has its own white noise generator so you can run it without external input if you wish, or add some noise amplitudemodulated by the external signal or various inbetweens.
https://www.2caudio.com/products/kaleidoscope#_overview

For the plugindatabase at least there's the categories Utility, Tools, Waveform Generator and possibly Sample Creator that may fit. But you should probably get some advice from someone more experienced in these matters than me on that. :wink:

whats stopping you from getting both? surly if you will fork out cash for one, you can fork out more cash for another. its just like being in the grocery store and asking yourself - should i get peanut butter or jelly? :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Gone soft wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:06 pm So, as per the Subject I've allready tried out the demos and yet can't decide between those two for creating wavetables for use in other synths (and perhaps modular environments, just saying in hope to avoid unescessary semantic discussions but probably there'll be some anyway). I also wish to consider which will be the most usefull synth to me in itself.

Both have ways of getting interesting results fairly quick when creating my own wavetables.

As synths they're so different I can't decide which one will work best for me. Dune 3 has more modulation madness and double filters plus the polyphonic FX, Serum may give results faster but I long for so much more in the modulation department. But then with the way the modulation matrix of D3 works it can be a bit of a hassle to set up, i really wish I could just rightclick and then drag somewhere to adjust amount as in Serum.

I mostly make textures and noises from scratch (sometimes semi-harmonic) so presets are of little importance.

They both sound great to me and have some filters with interesting character, though D3 perhaps should get bonuspoints here for having two filters where some are also more flexible (multifilters etc).

I have few other Wt synths, I love my Vember Audio Surge but feel I want to upgrade to something with more characterful filters. Modulationwise and in other respects Serum will actually be a step down, but Serum sounds great and I can get interesting results lightning fast. Serum seesm to have more options when importing soundfiles to turn them into wavetables. D3 seems relatively fast to work with now, but I may tire of that darn cumbersome oldschool modmatrix. And somehow Serum just has this character I find I can't get with D3, this nice brightness without crazy nasty aliasing and to much unwanted artifacts. But then again there easily arises some strange artifacts in the wavetables in Serum which I haven't found the time to fix within the 20 minutes I can run the demo before it silences.

I wish I could just get both and be done with it, but I wish to legally purchase them and it's quite a bit of money when I'm not doing this professionally. And with all the bundles I've acummulated over the years I've got so many plugins allready which makes it hard to justify spending more now...

Sorry if I was a bit unorganized here. Hope someone can help me decide here. :wink:

if all you want to do is create wavetables for use in other synths, the rest of the synths features are not important as these do not affect the exported wavetable. they only affect the sound if you play the wavetable in that synth

Made this very quickly, one wavetable in Serum for pads, some in Harmor for bass waveforms with BP.
https://soundcloud.com/brite1000/additive-example

Attached is a quick screenshot. Back to dinner.

Here is an example waveform I've created via my FilterForge Filter.

I call it the W wave, or Whitesaw. It's great for basses and pads alike, and it has timbral properties of both saw and square. Please make something awesome with it!

W-Wave.zip

Hive 1.2 seems to be quite a relevant option too when it comes to WT. It sounds much smoother to my ears than Serum (which I don’t like, has an harshness to its sounds no matter how set).
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:54 am Hive 1.2...It sounds much smoother to my ears than Serum (which I don’t like, has an harshness to its sounds no matter how set).
Wholeheartedly in agreement. Gave the new version a whirl w current projects and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Very well thought out implementatation of WT synthesis. Turning her to switch between frames is the kind of rough i like though—when I want it ruff or wave sequenc-y. But she can purr or sing as well depending on the scanning behavior(s) one chooses. In the end, as you hinted, itcis the same for me. I need the right ’sounding’ results. Of course anything can be put through the white lie of effects to hide the raw wavefotms, but it is nice with a good source OSC or two to whittle away from.

Edit: One thing I need to mention is that in Traditional WT synthesis resolution and scanning was a ’rough’ affair at the time and this was part of the ’sound’ or brilliant quality in early popular patches. As it concerns Hives new implementation, one should not forget the new modifiers in the mod matrix which help Quantize or scale modulation output in various useful ways, when one is modulating the WT OSC from the sources. As a note to myself, I wonder if folks really understand the useful ways of modulating parts of WT or why certain popular WT are built the way they are. It is not always intended that the entire WT should be used as a traditionsl OSC waveform. This is why the envelopes often have multiple segments.
Last edited by snigelx on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

You should take new Hive version in consideration...

HcDoom wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:34 am You should take new Hive version in consideration...
I didn't think Hive 1.2 had a wavetable editor? The OIP seems to be after wavetable 'creator rather than a 'player'- plenty of FREE options, try this

http://www.synthtech.com/waveedit/
https://waveeditonline.com/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”