SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

dandezebra wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:31 pm Can anyone here browse through more than 5 or 6 presets without a crash?
Yes, if I stick to instruments with a smaller memory resource use.

But if I go messing with the big guitar samples and pianos, boom when I start switching around.

IK Peter has added a related issue to the known issues list "Resource usage and additional crash reports", so it should be addressed in an upcoming update to ST4. https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... 12&t=20719
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:56 pm
dandezebra wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:31 pm Can anyone here browse through more than 5 or 6 presets without a crash?
Yes, if I stick to instruments with a smaller memory resource use.

But if I go messing with the big guitar samples and pianos, boom when I start switching around.

IK Peter has added a related issue to the known issues list "Resource usage and additional crash reports", so it should be addressed in an upcoming update to ST4. https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... 12&t=20719
Only one crash before version 4.02 was released. No crashes since then. But because of the resource usage, I’ve been using ST3 for any non-ST4 sounds for real work. I’ve loaded the C7 piano (not the light SE version) and the Black LP Full at the same time in the same instance. I have really high hopes for some resource usage improvements for 4.03 - hoping that will solve a lot of the issues we see in this thread.

I can only get through 2 - 9 max small patches before a frozen keyboard note and then task manager daw shutdown.

Standalone will not open still.

dandezebra wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:10 pm I can only get through 2 - 9 max small patches before a frozen keyboard note and then task manager daw shutdown.

Standalone will not open still.
What are your system specs?

zzz00m wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:26 pm
bill45 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:08 am May just get a new video card.
Not quite sure what issue you are addressing with that?

But in any case, if your computer has integrated on-board graphics, you could just pull the video card and connect your monitor to that to test with temporarily. That would rule out any possibility of your video card causing issues.

I am running ST4, as well as various DAWs and virtual instruments, with only the integrated Intel HD graphics on my PC (dual monitors).

I have not yet found a need for a discrete GPU card to run audio applications with. Most of the integrated graphics products available today can handle multiple monitors, HDMI, and HD resolutions up to 4K.

I understand that some folks also use their computer for video rendering or gaming, where GPU acceleration is a necessity, so this is only a troubleshooting suggestion, before spending on a new card.
Thanks, IK teck thinks it is an issue with my video. A very old Radeon HD 4650
They have updayed the drivers since 2009. Stopped hearing from him at 7:00 last night.
No integrated graphics.

Ryzen 7 2700x
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64bit
nVidia 1060
SSD Drive for OS

Need more? My specs shouldn't be a problem at all...

dandezebra wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:23 pm Ryzen 7 2700x
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64bit
nVidia 1060
SSD Drive for OS

Dell 7559 laptop
i7 6700HQ
16 gb Ram
NVidia 960mx and Intel HD 620
Windows 10 64-bit
SSD for OS and for Samples

Yours would seem to exceed mine slightly, and it exceeds the suggested requirements ST4.

I will say I was having performance issues with mine when I got it a few months ago - before ST4. Crashes with other instruments, lots of stuttering audio intermittently without explanation. It still had the factory windows install so I broke down, wiped it and reinstalled from scratch and it has been rock-solid ever since and ST4 does not seem to have destabilized it. Not blaming your machine - just relaying my personal experience. In my case it could have been a driver or some piece of Dell installed software - who knows.

Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:56 pm
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64bit
nVidia 1060
SSD Drive for OS

Dell 7559 laptop
i7 6700HQ
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64-bit

Yours would seem to exceed mine slightly, and it exceeds the suggested requirements ST4.

I will say I was having performance issues with mine when I got it a few months ago - before ST4. Crashes with other instruments, lots of stuttering audio intermittently without explanation. It still had the factory windows install so I broke down, wiped it and reinstalled from scratch and it has been rock-solid ever since and ST4 does not seem to have destabilized it. Not blaming your machine - just relaying my personal experience. In my case it could have been a driver or some piece of Dell installed software - who knows.
What audio interfaces are you two using.?

Focusrite 2i4

I rarely have had issues besides sometimes things screwing up in FL Studio...

I am also on a relatively fresh OS install (November 2018).

I just got halfway through a song with two sessions of Kontakt (5 outs each maybe), Intensity, a bunch of Fab Filter, Diva, Zebra 2, Superior Drummer 3, loads of samples, Blackhole, Breeze 2, B2, and a bunch more instruments / effects I cannot be bothered to lookup. I had zero problems with the track at all...

bill45 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:19 pm
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64bit
nVidia 1060
SSD Drive for OS

Dell 7559 laptop
i7 6700HQ
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64-bit

Lol! Don’t laugh! An old Tascam US-144 Mkii USB 2 interface for tracking with mic’s - latency won’t go as low as I would like, but it works and sounds okay - Windows 7 64-bit drivers I believe. I had an old EMU Professional 0404 that I loved - mic pres were really great on that, but it died a few months back finally. I also use an old M-Audio Jam Lab guitar USB interface for tracking bass and electric guitar direct - I get latencies under 5ms with that and it sounds great. It only has a 1/4” hi-z in and a headphone jack, but I use it most times for monitoring when mixing - windows 7 drivers there too. I also have an IRig Pro Duo, but use that mostly with the iPhone for midi and amp sims live - although it seems to work fine with the Windows 10 laptop.

To sum up, I have nothing either particularity new or high end.

16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64bit
nVidia 1060
SSD Drive for OS

Not saying your specs are weak or anything. You have twice the computer that I do, LOL! Just wondering why your crashes are more frequent than mine with ST4.

I haven't observed any high CPU usage, but the memory footprint is huge at times. I have been watching this thing with Resource Monitor. ST4 appears to have issues on a computer with any amount of memory, so it doesn't seem to be a low memory issue causing the crashes.

Standalone ST4 is running here, but I can make either that or the plugin crash by frequent switches between instruments loaded into a part.

My computer is modest, but stable, and usually runs virtual instruments with relatively low latency and mostly without any issues.

Intel Core i3-3.4GHz (dual core), 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, SSD for OS and apps, and M-Audio FireWire 410 with ASIO for audio.

My standalone starts the GUI and then goes unresponsive. It flashes about every 5 seconds until I close it. I am waiting on support. They chose to only address one of my questions so now I have to wait for them to get back to me about the other problemos.

Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 pm
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64bit
nVidia 1060
SSD Drive for OS

Dell 7559 laptop
i7 6700HQ
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64-bit

Thanks guys

Lol! Don’t laugh! An old Tascam US-144 Mkii USB 2 interface for tracking with mic’s - latency won’t go as low as I would like, but it works and sounds okay - Windows 7 64-bit drivers I believe. I had an old EMU Professional 0404 that I loved - mic pres were really great on that, but it died a few months back finally. I also use an old M-Audio Jam Lab guitar USB interface for tracking bass and electric guitar direct - I get latencies under 5ms with that and it sounds great. It only has a 1/4” hi-z in and a headphone jack, but I use it most times for monitoring when mixing - windows 7 drivers there too. I also have an IRig Pro Duo, but use that mostly with the iPhone for midi and amp sims live - although it seems to work fine with the Windows 10 laptop.

bill45 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:12 pm
Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 pm
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64bit
nVidia 1060
SSD Drive for OS

Dell 7559 laptop
i7 6700HQ
16 gb Ram
Windows 10 64-bit

Thanks guys

thanks guys

Regarding the misc issues, a few things jump out at me.
(I'm no expert, these are just things that have proved helpful
over many years.)

MD5 or other checksums system should be used to verify
each download.
(this won't help if a corruption was on IK's actual archive,
or the small percentile of usbsticks that are flawed
in manufacturing, just proves that an archive
itself was downloaded without any errors.)
When a mismatch exists, the users results
can vary wildly. Linux distros come mainly on iso files
of 200 meg to 4 gig, and those who don't use checksums,
will have made their share of cd/dvd coasters, and ripped out
plenty of hair chasing 'bugs'. (Don't ask, please :dog: )

Contiguous formatted disk space. I'd want 500 gig free
for 250 gig of data. The installer should have a big bullseye
to aim for, and fragmentation on a hardisk that's frequently
loading huge samples isn't lucky. I'd also think the disk should be optimized for much larger files than any default.
I moved 100 gig of files off both the drives
where I installed the 58 gig of Syntronik.

When the U-he linux versions were first rolling out,
it was clear that those with well configured video cards,
in particular, using the official nvidia driver, had few issues
compared with anyone else. The newest intel motherboard
graphics have improved a lot, but gui's are the body for
a vst's mind, you want an Olympic body, not one from
a playground. There are system settings for motherboard chip
to share system ram, so it could be worth giving a lot more ram
to the graphics chip than the default.

Regarding SSD's, there have been many conflicting suggestions
about their initial setup. To play it safe, when the manufacturer
claims to have set aside 'workspace', I keep 20% of the remaining
space unallocated for 'lucky workspace', because manufacturers
all making the same claims that such a choice is not needed,
will all eventually benefit from earlier slowdowns or failures
that need replacements.
(well, both Catbert and Dogbert do that on their gear :wink: )

Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”