SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

Peter,

I have just finished (?) installing Max. By my count, this required well over 250 manual steps. The chances I didn't skip one of them are next to zero. This whole process was a not-very-pleasant undertaking.

I hope that IKM developers working on an automated install capability will also include a diagnose/repair capability. Those of us who manually installed could definitely use an automated mechanism to check the correctness of the install.

On a totally different subject, I just wanted to report that instrument 14 Violins Detache Alt 3,5,u has a mis-assigned sample (A4 plays B4). Frankly I'm a little dismayed that something like this could make it past alpha testing. It would seem any instrument's final checklist would include a simple chromatic run through all the notes.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:21 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:55 pm
Bruceferraudi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 pm So doing a fresh ST4 Max USB install on a new computer and I haven't installed my prior copy of ST3 yet. How would I best going about doing this, what sequence should I follow from the USB version?
Just note that depending what you are updating from there are potentially a lot of files you will have to download, not just the piano (all the ST3 MAX packs for example if you are upgrading from just ST3...this was about 15 downloads for me, maybe 30-50 gigs in addition to the pianos and the USB stick
Note that SampleTank 3 MAX sound content is included on the SampleTank4 MAX USB. There's an installer for SampleTank 4 MAX Sound Content and another installer for SampleTank 3 MAX Sound Content as I described above.

The only additional downloads would be the ones I mention in my previous post.
Ok, thanks a bunch for the response and clarification :tu:

dmbaer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:45 pm Peter,

I have just finished (?) installing Max. By my count, this required well over 250 manual steps. The chances I didn't skip one of them are next to zero. This whole process was a not-very-pleasant undertaking.

I hope that IKM developers working on an automated install capability will also include a diagnose/repair capability. Those of us who manually installed could definitely use an automated mechanism to check the correctness of the install.

On a totally different subject, I just wanted to report that instrument 14 Violins Detache Alt 3,5,u has a mis-assigned sample (A4 plays B4). Frankly I'm a little dismayed that something like this could make it past alpha testing. It would seem any instrument's final checklist would include a simple chromatic run through all the notes.
Yes, there is work on further improvement to the download/installation process for such large products like SampleTank 4. I have also relayed your report to the team. Thank you.

Bruceferraudi wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:21 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:55 pm
Bruceferraudi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 pm So doing a fresh ST4 Max USB install on a new computer and I haven't installed my prior copy of ST3 yet. How would I best going about doing this, what sequence should I follow from the USB version?
Just note that depending what you are updating from there are potentially a lot of files you will have to download, not just the piano (all the ST3 MAX packs for example if you are upgrading from just ST3...this was about 15 downloads for me, maybe 30-50 gigs in addition to the pianos and the USB stick
Note that SampleTank 3 MAX sound content is included on the SampleTank4 MAX USB. There's an installer for SampleTank 4 MAX Sound Content and another installer for SampleTank 3 MAX Sound Content as I described above.

The only additional downloads would be the ones I mention in my previous post.
Ok, thanks a bunch for the response and clarification :tu:
No problem, glad to help/clarify.

Some questions regarding content.

First, I did not bother to download the eight ST3 install zip files, thinking I had that content on my DAW already. However, when I click on the ST3 library icon (just down from the top ST4 icon in the left hand column), the instrument list is empty. The program did find my other imported ST3 libraries without problem. I am now downloading the ST3 install files, but can somebody tell me what's going on here - that is, why I am not seeing ST3 content already?

Next, I am puzzled about the orchestral content. I am finding only Miroslav Phil 2 CE content (and maybe even earlier content) for strings. I thought there was supposed to be newly-recorded-for-ST4 orchestral content (I do have Max, by the way). Am I missing something? If so, what should I be looking for?

Finally, is there any way to specify "just show me ST4 content and nothing else"? I have lots of pre ST4 content, but I'd like to be able to just audition the new stuff. I don't think there's a way to do this, but it would be nice if I were missing some trick here.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

To highlight only ST4 material, check to the right of "Library" (upperleft).

If there is an "x" present, clear/click it.

Then just click ST4, and it (name) will turn red.

That will show only the ST4 library now.

You can highlight as many as you want at the same time, clear them by hitting the "x". "Categories" and "Filters" works the same way. You can also re-click each to clear them.

Your ST4 should have plenty of brass, chromatic, strings, voices, woodwinds, and percussion content separate of MP2 CE.

I have the ST4 Max, and already had ST3 Max and everything else available. I did not re-install anything related to that for ST4, and only had to make sure the ST4 and ST3 content paths were present and correct in the tools/options.
Last edited by ShawnMH on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmbaer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:46 pm Some questions regarding content.

First, I did not bother to download the eight ST3 install zip files, thinking I had that content on my DAW already. However, when I click on the ST3 library icon (just down from the top ST4 icon in the left hand column), the instrument list is empty. The program did find my other imported ST3 libraries without problem. I am now downloading the ST3 install files, but can somebody tell me what's going on here - that is, why I am not seeing ST3 content already?

Next, I am puzzled about the orchestral content. I am finding only Miroslav Phil 2 CE content (and maybe even earlier content) for strings. I thought there was supposed to be newly-recorded-for-ST4 orchestral content (I do have Max, by the way). Am I missing something? If so, what should I be looking for?

Finally, is there any way to specify "just show me ST4 content and nothing else"? I have lots of pre ST4 content, but I'd like to be able to just audition the new stuff. I don't think there's a way to do this, but it would be nice if I were missing some trick here.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
1. If you had installed all of your previous ST3 content to a root folder, such as "SampleTank 3", then by adding that path to your ST4 "Settings > Sound Content", the ST3 libraries will be available in ST4. So you shouldn't need to re-install any ST3 content if you already have it installed. I had ST3 standard, so with ST4 MAX including everything in ST3 MAX, I can pick and choose what to add from ST3 MAX.

2. I installed my Miro Phil 2 CE content, as well as my Syntronik, in my ST3 content folder, so I see all of that in ST4, per step 1 above. Refer to the available sound content lists for ST4. I don't see much added orchestral content in ST4, other than some brass instruments, some strings, and a flute.

3. If you click on the ST4 icon on the left side of the library browser, then click the small folder icon to the left of the word "Library", you will see just the categories for the selected library. This is covered in the manual. A recommended read! :D
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Found another bug using ST4.03 in standalone mode. I'm wondering if someone can verify using the patch Chromatic/Steel Drums/Steel Drums Studio. I can reproduce a consistent crash by just repeatedly playing the G#3 note from my MIDI keyboard

Spin Boyz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:05 am Found another bug using ST4.03 in standalone mode. I'm wondering if someone can verify using the patch Chromatic/Steel Drums/Steel Drums Studio. I can reproduce a consistent crash by just repeatedly playing the G#3 note from my MIDI keyboard
Yep that note does cause a crash in ST4. But that is a SampleTank 3 library instrument, and that note also crashes ST3. So it is not a new problem with ST4.

I hope there aren't more patches like that.

ShawnMH wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:06 am To highlight only ST4 material, check to the right of "Library" (upperleft).

If there is an "x" present, clear/click it.

Then just click ST4, and it (name) will turn red.

That will show only the ST4 library now.

You can highlight as many as you want at the same time, clear them by hitting the "x". "Categories" and "Filters" works the same way. You can also re-click each to clear them.

Your ST4 should have plenty of brass, chromatic, strings, voices, woodwinds, and percussion content separate of MP2 CE.

I have the ST4 Max, and already had ST3 Max and everything else available. I did not re-install anything related to that for ST4, and only had to make sure the ST4 and ST3 content paths were present and correct in the tools/options.
Thanks. First, when I click the ST4 icon, it takes me to a web page. I do not experience what you are saying should happen. Actually, it was the first thing I thought of trying since all the other icons in the left hand list work that way.

My content paths do point to both the old and the new content - all my Syntronik content shows up (that lives in the ST3 directory area). Also, all my old ST2 stuff imported into ST3 seems to be present as well. But I'm seeing only an empty list when clicking on the ST3 icon in the left hand list ... a mystery for the moment.

I did occur to me after I posted these questions that one way to insure I'm only looking at new content is to temporarily remove the ST3 content directory from ST4 configuration data and rebuild the data base. I will probably try that later today.

zzz00m wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:06 am 3. If you click on the ST4 icon on the left side of the library browser, then click the small folder icon to the left of the word "Library", you will see just the categories for the selected library. This is covered in the manual. A recommended read! :D
Thanks. I as said in the previous post, all that happens when I click the ST4 icon is that a web browser starts up. As to the manual, I'm actually in the process of reading for the third time cover to cover (more or less skipping the 80 or so FX pages). :)

dmbaer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:18 pm
zzz00m wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:06 am 3. If you click on the ST4 icon on the left side of the library browser, then click the small folder icon to the left of the word "Library", you will see just the categories for the selected library. This is covered in the manual. A recommended read! :D
Thanks. I as said in the previous post, all that happens when I click the ST4 icon is that a web browser starts up. As to the manual, I'm actually in the process of reading for the third time cover to cover (more or less skipping the 80 or so FX pages). :)
Only locked libraries should launch the website link.

If yours is unlocked, it should look like this:

zzz00m wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:05 pm Only locked libraries should launch the website link.

If yours is unlocked, it should look like this:

Yes, I think this is the cause of the problem, but it's a bug. I just read in the manual something I missed on the first couple of passes. An unauthorized library has an arrow symbol in the middle. My ST4 icon has that arrow. However, the content is clearly there and available. So, I'd call that a bug.

Is anyone else experiencing a problem getting MIDI input recognized in the standalone but seeing no problems when hosted? The UI virtual keyboard plays notes just fine, but MIDI data sent from my MIDI KB is not recognized.

I could swear this problem did not exist the first time I launched ST4, but it's been present ever since. The hosted version works just fine (in Cubase at least, but not apparently in Blue Cat Patchwork).

I also am seeing the same behavior in ST3. Although it's been ages since I ran that one standalone, this was never a problem before.

And, by the way, no other virtual instrument that has a standalone version is showing this behavior, so it's not due to a problem in my MIDI rig.

I will log an incident with IKM support, but I'm waiting for the next maintenance release to see if that by any chance fixes this.

Return to “Instruments”