One Synth Challenge #119: Waverazor 2 by Tracktion (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

Even after you've found out about the "second" page (within which are countless more "pages" so to say), you still can't even hope to intuitively figure out to do the first thing other than changing the cutoff frequency of your filter, haha... proud achievment. I tried hooking up performance features, managed to hook up lowpass on a matrix vector and then decided it absolutely is not worth it, I don't care what magic may be hidden in there and how to avoid it sounding like a coarse first attempt at DSP... not my speed.

Taron - I normally would never suggest this but it’s with a read thru of the manual. It’s very capable and interesting, just inconveniently deep with long lists of esoteric marginally useful parameters. Even for very experienced synth guys it’s a counter-intuitive beast in some ways. In other words, don’t give up!

Ah yes, I only looked at the quick guide, then jumped on youtube, but never thought about looking for a full manual. Good call, tahnks, OT! :tu: ...still, just maybe. Somehow get a shearing vibe from it.

Hi all, I just found out about this! We are certainly honored! To all the questions about us putting up a license, we can certainly do something I think. I will chat with Taiho and ontrackp and one of us will get back with details.

To the questions about percussion and doing a one-synth track with Waverazor, check out Taiho's tracks with Waverazor here:

https://www.kvraudio.com/video/mok-wave ... amada-9661

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqekXIBO1g8

Thanks. Please talk to our admins — BJ Porter or Richard Semper. Very interesting synth!

ontrackp wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:48 am Thanks. Please talk to our admins — BJ Porter or Richard Semper. Very interesting synth!
We are in touch now. Cheers!

I've made a quick start video.
I had some problems with my gfx card and soundcard but I hope it's still useful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Lr62PEkzY

Hey Rob, video appears blank, I'm afraid...nothing to see, nothing to hear. :shrug:

Hey r_mok, thanks for popping in! I'm glad you found out about this and are ready to talk about offering a price license. With commercial synths here it's always a bit of an odd situation, because we're used to putting considerable effort into pulling the best out of free synths, ideally even having enormous sympathy with their creators (haha, "ideally"!), but once sympathy is established, you can see the level of love rising that goes into the work, actually on both sides, musicians and creators. Knowing that the creators feel gratitude does a great deal to the process and willingness to dive into a synth, no matter how challenging it may be.

You will get invaluable feedback and likely (hopefully) invaluable assets to showoff what can be done with your creation from a much broader pool of users going straight into power mode! I can't wait to one day create a commercial synth and run it through the OSC gauntlet! :lol: :scared:

Knowing that you're hear and will let Taiho know about it greatly increases my readiness to go explore for sure! :tu:
Happy New Year, by the way! In my experience, a rocky start to a new day or even a new year only means great things. 8)

Deleted
Last edited by Eauson on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Erm you can get a fully working trial for 30 days

rghvdberg wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:18 pm Erm you can get a fully working trial for 30 days
Nah, I've tried to do it, unless you have to download again, get new offline code, delete previous install. There is no way once you have gone LE route to try the full 30 day.
So....... ?
You may ask, y not full in 1st place, its a challenge, well it was once upon an OsC.:)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Waverazor, WaverazorLE, and the 30-Day are all the same download (no need to re-download), it is just whatever is in your Tracktion account that decides what mode it runs in.

For anyone participating in OSC, and wish to get the 30-day trial enabled on their Tracktion account, PM me and I'll put in the request with Tracktion. Once the 30-day trial period completes, Waverazor will drop back to LE mode. At least that is how it is supposed to work ;)

- Rob

Phewww...honestly. I hope, you all don't mind, if I vent here a tiny bit more every now and then. I mean, it's probably save to say that I am rather an expert synth programmer, yes?! I mean, I'm having literally over 30 years of experience and have dealt with some of the most esoteric synths out there. Even after about half an hour, I could not find a way to assign an envelope to the filter cutoff. This may be a ridiculously easy thing to do once you know, but I swear with all my might and heart, it's impossible to find out on your own and I still haven't found out how to. I don't think this has ever happened to me, so... it's 100% save to say: this ain't good! ...this is, unless there is only 1 envelope, of course, and it cannot be assigned to anything aside from amp?! I don't know, but there's more weirdness in there that at first, second, third and forth glance and then a daring stare even doesn't seem to ring a bell or turn a light on as to what this is supposed to mean. :shrug:
I'm not saying it was impossible to get some really fascinating sounds out of this (eventually), but that's the steepest learning curve, yet!
IF by some chance I figure out how to do some standard sound designing with it, I will try to make a tutorial. Until then I am seriously hoping to actually find a tutorial myself, hahaha.
Mission: Simple sound, one oscillator, one filter, envelope on oscillator (figured that out regarding AMP), envelope on cutoff for filter.

You know it took me a good felt 20 minutes to find out how to get the oscillator direct output to be on 0% with only the filter working!? Yes, I'm not kidding. Call me dumb, I'm fine with that, but dang... I think, the world would've never gotten into synthesizers, if the first ones would've been that inaccessible, haha...jeez. Not sure, if it helps or whether there's even a chance, to make some reasonable suggestions to Taiho, trying to clean up the logic and access a wee bit. It's also the sense that much of the gui sections feel hidden and you can only hope to stumble across any particular gui section. Quite exhausting.

BUT I'm not giving up, just yet! :pray:
Last edited by Taron on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As a New Year gift for everyone I assembled a Wave Shape Reference image for Waverazor!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Taron wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:26 pm Mission: Simple sound, one oscillator, one filter, envelope on oscillator (figured that out regarding AMP), envelope on cutoff for filter.
I've attached a screenshot with a clue for adding an envelope.
The most helpful thing I've found so far to learn Waverazor is to take one of the presets and try to re-create it from Init by having 2 instances open.
One preset that does what you're trying to do is Templates / Synth 8-Pole

Btw I think Eauson has gotten the furthest by limiting himself to the LE version. The Editor is an absolute time sink!

It doesn't help that there's lots of little gotchas, for instance if you assign a different filter then all the modulation connections get lost - so probably best to chose a filter before wiring up the modulation/macros.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”