Why use emulations of classic analogue synths---is it just nostalgia?...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 am How well something is modelled is not a matter of opinion but can be very accurately analysed, quantified and evaluated, that's why i don't care what you think about it.
That is sweet, genius, but my post was not about how well it is modelled in some objective sense but whether it works as such to ME in my friggin headphones and the answer is NO. Non-debatable.

So you are still acting like a clown without a clue.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, as i said, if you have a LPF at 12000hz, a lot of things start to sound warmer, even Arturia's unbearably shrill undertone.

Also, maybe you should start debating things with a shred of objectivity... Why the hell do people think their opinion is so valued that it tramples fact? God complex?

hint: the topic is about hardware emulation

I wish people just did such things to get on my nerves but am afraid not. They simply cannot distingush statements like

1. DIVA sounds all VA to me in my headphones

friom

2. DIVA is not a great synth

or

3. DIVA is not a properly emulation

Yup. Beware of fanboyism, guys, it can seriously change your perception, reading skills and distort your abilties to make logical conclusions (hint: 3 and 2 do not follow from 1)

Ploki wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:43 am the topic is about hardware emulation
Yes, and I just gave a personal opnion on the topic, Einstein, while you per intuition twisted it into another question. The thread title and OP is not about whether DIVA is a great synth nor whether it is a proper emulation (whatever that is supposed to mean in an objective sense).

Ploki wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 am Also, if it's such a long life experience, your perception of high frequency response is probably shit, so i guess that's why Arturia sounds good to you.
Ah, there it was. A fanboi shouting insults from the doorstep hiding in his mother’s skirts: “Whaa whaa, your opinion of my beloved is not the same as mine and therefore you are stooopid.” :cry:

How pathetic, but no surprise really.

I use emulations of classic synths because they sound good. Those classics aren't classics for nothing.

If i could affort it, and had more enthusiasm for my hobby, i'd surely pick up the one or the other classics. Even though those are only available for absolutely ridiculous prices, so, emulations make even more sense.

To round up the discussion though: Almost all digital filters are inspired by analog filter XY, or oscillators from analog synth XY. So, it's not just a matter of using dedicated emulations, but, probably rather a matter of using VA synths in general.

Emulations of digital synths left aside. I think those more than often also mimic their analog counterparts.

N\M Lost hope. Nothing to do with the post above, though. I take that as a personal opinion and will leave reading generalisations into that one to those who just cannot help themselves doing so.

I'm not sure if you were responding to my posts, but, i was replying to this thread in general, not your posts specifically.

Ploki wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:43 am Why the hell do people think their opinion is so valued that it tramples fact? God complex?
You, everything you have written to me reveals such a undereducated level of thinking that it hurts, and I feel sorry for you. Do you really in your wildest imagination think that Urs has come so far as to solve the mind-body problem and now can stimulate all brains in the world such that they should not be able to hear differences between DIVA and analog synths in headphones and further they they should be unable to dislike it?

Here is what I consider a fact concerning all your sayings, from your entry with misreadings of statements concerning BONES, over your filter bla till your present twisting and shouting: None of if compute logically may that be your false premises, your non sequitur derivations or your invalid conclusions; it is but a mess.

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:46 pm I'm not sure if you were responding to my posts, but, i was replying to this thread in general, not your posts specifically.
I know. I would have used it for a point about my own reading of this as a personal opinion, but gave up. I am not targeting you. An error. Go ahead.

I think what we all need to understand is that different people use synths for different reasons. And based on the reason for using the synth, that will determine the importance or lack thereof of using an emulation and how accurate that emulation needs to be. And for some people, that might even change from situation to situation.

For example, in general, I could give a rat's ass about how good an emulation is or, for that matter, whether I even have one or not. However, when I was doing my 80s Squared CD and absolutely needed to recreate certain sounds as close to the originals as possible, then yes, for that particular CD I was looking for emulations as good as I could find.

This whole thread, IMO, is probably one of the least informative and relevant threads to making music that I've read since being here. The end result is everybody's different and person X couldn't care less what person Y thinks. I sure don't. I just want to make music. To that end, I'll use what I need to use to make that music.

That's the thing. About everything will get you reasonably close, but, nothing beats a synth which really catches the vibe of the real thing, when you're looking for that extra percentage. I don't think i even care about mimiccing everything in microscopic detail, as long as the vibe is there, the resonant behavior is right, the envelopes are done right, and the saturation is done correctly.

And if Urs for some unknown reason should still be reading:

In case that you actually have solved the mind-brain problem, I have a business proposal for you that will make your annual income from gear look like a couple of piss ants only.

It includes such thing as advanced brain surgery, implants, and a good deal of topics of interest to military industry.

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:20 pm And if Urs for some unknown reason should still be reading:

In case that you actually have solved the mind-brain problem, I have a business proposal for you that will make your annual income from gear look like a couple of piss ants only.

It includes such thing as advanced brain surgery, implants, and a good deal of topics of interest to military industry.
i surmise that at some point between your previous posts and the above, you hit the bong.

Wow. Now this is a proper emulation of a classic kvr thread.

It contains all of the usual members of long standing: BONES, vurt, jancivil, donkey tugger and whyterabbyt.

It has a promising selection of newer, up and coming members, and more supporting players than a Cecil B. Demille pucture.

It's multi-layered: driven by opposing opinions and hostile disagreements over just about everything, punctured by humor in unpredictable places, laced with inappropriate claims to scientific objectivity. And of course, it goes on much, much longer than any sane community would allow.

In a word: AWESOME!!!

Return to “Instruments”