So will reFX sue me if I use someone elses Vanguard serial?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Ploki
KVRist
302 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 pm

funky lime wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:26 pm

It's also effective at driving away potential customers. I'll never use anything related to Pace again, personally. And I know I'm not alone there.

They don't want me stealing it? That's fine, obviously. But they also don't want me buying it either, from my perspective anyway.
Me neither.
Two i passed up lately solely because they use pace (i dont care if its only in the manager)
- NeuralDSP darkglass plugins
- oek soothe (bought gullfoss instead, soothe was out of the question because of pace by default)

I have a separate external SSD with a separate system just for protools because I'm not letting that POS that is pace anywhere near my primary system

funky lime
KVRian
1229 posts since 17 Sep, 2002

Re: So will reFX sue me if I use someone elses Vanguard serial?

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Ploki wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:17 pm

It's also fun where effective DRM is also functioning properly, ironically melodyne (which i had obtained from non offical sources to test) worked better than the official copy i have now. figures
I've met at least one person who buys all his licenses and then uses the "unofficial" versions anyway, because of stability, convenience, and performance. He says some software "calls home" enough that it measurably affects performance. But this is purely anecdotal, so I take it with a grain of salt.

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2052 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait!

Everyone going in all directions without examining the OPs original post...

You said you "purchased" the serial from someone here. Right?

Fact: reFX honors re-sales of old and unused serials. I know because I bought Vanguard and Quadrasid from someone here, and reFX transferred them into my account. 100% legal with reFX and I jBridged them for use in Cubase. If someone SOLD you serials then they should have had them properly transferred from reFX, albeit unsupported with future releases.

So what is the worry?

Now if someone would sell me PlatiCZ.

commodore
KVRist
274 posts since 19 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm

thejonsolo wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:32 pm
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait!

Everyone going in all directions without examining the OPs original post...

You said you "purchased" the serial from someone here. Right?

Fact: reFX honors re-sales of old and unused serials. I know because I bought Vanguard and Quadrasid from someone here, and reFX transferred them into my account. 100% legal with reFX and I jBridged them for use in Cubase. If someone SOLD you serials then they should have had them properly transferred from reFX, albeit unsupported with future releases.

So what is the worry?

Woah, no way! Are you sure?! Everything I've read says they do not do that. If that is the case, I'm sure the guy I purchased from would be fine with transferring it to me. When did your's get transferred?

Teksonik
KVRAF
11942 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:56 pm

thejonsolo wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:32 pm

So what is the worry?

I tried to sell my Vanguard license and was told it is not possible. There was a time when transfers were allowed but then they changed the policy.

Not sure if that is legal to change the rules after a purchase is made but since I would have only gotten a few dollars for selling Vanguard I just dropped the issue.

All it did was cause me to never spend another penny with ReFx. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

CapnLockheed
KVRAF
2203 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 pm

All it did was cause me to never spend another penny with ReFx.
And therein lies the crux of the biscuit. And it's not just a software thing either.
There are several audio hardware makers that I will never do business again with
either after they bent me over and screwed me. I won't get into names or details
but the bottom line here is that companies NEED to find a middle ground. You
cannot hope to stay in business by screwing your customers....especially those that
have been loyal for years.

Oh....and f*ck Pace.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

http://www.fandalism.com/cristofe

izonin
KVRian
1174 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:48 pm

If you're using iLok on Windows, there's a neat trick I've found. Go to your Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and switch the PACE License Services to Manual. This way you can easily stop the service whenever you're not using one of the iLoked plugins.

Caine123
KVRAF
5497 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:06 am

How should they know u use it anyways?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

thejonsolo
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:28 am

I was unaware that their policy changed. This MUST only apply to discontinued products as Nexus is for sale all the time here at KVR second hand.

That would be ashamed if it is so. Of course you could always buy from Tone2 the spiritual successors of Vanguard.

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:41 am

Yes I think it only applies to older plugins but the thing is since they don't sell Vanguard any longer they wouldn't have lost one penny from me selling my license to someone who would actually use Vanguard.

But failing that opportunity to show a little good will to an old customer simply lost them a customer.

Oh and I've got PlastiCZ and I'd sell it to you in a heartbeat but I assume the same situation would apply. I'd love to see it go to someone who would use it........ :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chaosWyrM
KVRAF
1747 posts since 29 Apr, 2010 from NYC

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 am

Caine123 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:06 am

this is the real question for any such discussion. the answer is they can not ever know. no dev can ever know if someone used the software "illegally". its impossible to know that.
ImageImageImage

thejonsolo
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 am

Unless it appears in a video...ha ha ha

chk071
KVRAF
18153 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:53 am

chaosWyrM wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 am
Caine123 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:06 am

this is the real question for any such discussion. the answer is they can not ever know. no dev can ever know if someone used the software "illegally". its impossible to know that.
Yes. So, essentially, the choice is in the user's hand. Whether or not he wants to do something that he accepted not to do, when he agreed with the EULA.

Seriously, i'm usually not up to recommend not to use an old synth, if it is liked very much. But, there have been so many synths which surpassed Vanguard now, even by the same developer (Markus from Tone2 i think?), so, why not just use that, and forget about Vanguard? It's 32-bit, it's old, it's obsolete. Just my opinion, but, i think soft synth really have made quantum leaps in comparison to the stuff 15 years ago. And, especially worth considering if you need to jump through legal hoops to use it.

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 am

chaosWyrM wrote:
no dev can ever know if someone used the software "illegally". its impossible to know that.
Sure they can if the plugin phones home like Tone 2 software used to (may still but I won't do business with Markus any longer so wouldn't know about his newer plugins. For the back story just search for what happened when they set Firebird free).

chk071
KVRAF
18153 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 am
chaosWyrM wrote:
no dev can ever know if someone used the software "illegally". its impossible to know that.
Sure they can if the plugin phones home like Tone 2 software used to (may still but I won't do business with Markus any longer so wouldn't know about his newer plugins. For the back story just search for what happened when they set Firebird free).
I'm reading the respective thread right now. The one thing i heard was that their plugins scan for illegal keys of other Tone2 products, and deactivate those. I never heard that the "phone home", whatever that means in detail. And, there also seem to be controversial opinions whether or not Firebird even scans for other, illegal keys.

Really, i wouldn't worry so much about hearsay.

Return to “Instruments”