So will reFX sue me if I use someone elses Vanguard serial?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Teksonik
KVRAF
11942 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 am

chk071 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 am
I never heard that the "phone home",
Just because you never heard of something doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have undeniable proof that Warmverb phoned home. No, I'm not going to open up this old can of worms. It's done and over with for me. I have nothing to "worry" about from Tone 2 since I'll never do business with them again. If you trust the most paranoid developer in the business please feel free to do so.

I used to beta test for ReFex right after their TBL was released and have dealt with both Mike and Markus behind the scenes. They are two of the worst arseholes I've ever worked with.

Ok I'm done with this thread. As you said Vanguard has been far surpassed by recent plugins from other developers. I own a paid license and haven't had it installed for years........ :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

chk071
KVRAF
18153 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: So will reFX sue me if I use someone elses Vanguard serial?

Post Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:48 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 am
chk071 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 am
I never heard that the "phone home",
Just because you never heard of something doesn't mean it didn't happen. I have undeniable proof that Warmverb phoned home. No, I'm not going to open up this old can of worms. It's done and over with for me.
Shame, because then it's just as much worth as me saying that i never heard that they do phone home.

Again, whatever "phoning home" means. Phoning home could already mean C/R, or transmission of user metrics. Or a ping on your router from your ISP. Or a software updater.

harryupbabble
KVRian
1281 posts since 20 Mar, 2012 from Babbleon

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am

CapnLockheed wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 pm
Oh....and f*ck Pace.
I could be wrong but in the movie The Jerk, Steve Martin's character had a dog whose name is f*ckpace.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

commodore
KVRist
274 posts since 19 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:15 pm

I think the question of using Vanguard or any other retired or lost products will always remain frustrating. Camel Audio, Steinberg Hypersonic, quadrasid, vanguard, Rob papen albino (although they still do license transfers!), and I'm sure there are more..

Bummer for consumers, or in this case "artists". It's like a painter that can't buy that special kind of paint, only they make the paint, but lock it up for no one to buy, you can't buy it from anyone that has it, and if you happen to find it and use it - you get in trouble.

Orbit-50
KVRAF
2194 posts since 29 Jun, 2005 from La La Land

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Now I feel like breaking those puppies out and taking a trip down memory lane. Vanguard and PlastiCZ were pretty cool back in the day. I might just pick up a copy of J-Bridge after all.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2052 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Oh it will be worth it! Ha.

Orbit-50
KVRAF
2194 posts since 29 Jun, 2005 from La La Land

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:57 pm

thejonsolo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm
Oh it will be worth it! Ha.
I'll take your word for it. :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23457 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:06 pm

harryupbabble wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am
CapnLockheed wrote:
Oh....and f*ck Pace.
I could be wrong but in the movie The Jerk, Steve Martin's character had a dog whose name is f*ckpace.
It was called shithead ...

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2052 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:47 pm

And in the TV edit...Stupid

chaosWyrM
KVRAF
1747 posts since 29 Apr, 2010 from NYC

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 am
chaosWyrM wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:59 am
no dev can ever know if someone used the software "illegally". its impossible to know that.
Sure they can if the plugin phones home like Tone 2 software used to (may still but I won't do business with Markus any longer so wouldn't know about his newer plugins. For the back story just search for what happened when they set Firebird free).
lol...nonsense. they werent tracking users. they were deleting files off peoples computers.
ImageImageImage

harryupbabble
KVRian
1281 posts since 20 Mar, 2012 from Babbleon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:12 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:06 pm
harryupbabble wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am
CapnLockheed wrote:
Oh....and f*ck Pace.
It was called shithead ...
You are right. It is Shithead and not f*ckpace. I Googled it. The word f*ckpace is not even in the list of synonyms of shithead.

Damn it. How could I mix up those two words?

If they ever summon me to do jury duty, I am thinking of stating "I am not fit to do jury duty. My memory can be super faulty. I once got the dog's name in the movie The Jerk mixed up. I thought the dog's name was something like f*ckpace but in reality it was Shithead".

I mean can you imagine me being on a trial like OJ impson's? Okay maybe not that one but a trial where memory is super important?

Maybe even David Letterman could have made a similar mistake and would have to admit that "Yes, Paul. The word "pinhead" is not exactly the same as the word "shithead".

And since Steve Martin was in that The Jerk movie, I really have to state... "Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!!!!!".

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

For info's sake (possibly bad info) and to see if KVR's "bad word gatekeeper" is still working, here is the list of synonyms of the word "shithead" from this site:

https://www.powerthesaurus.org/shithead/synonyms

dick sucker
wanker
asshat
bonehead
hooligan
empty headed
dingleberry
you knucklehead
loggerhead
dickasaurus
dogshit
dumb ass
blockhead
dunce
hammerhead
knucklehead
heel
jerk
stinker
creep
puke
head of cabbage
assmonkey
mother f**ker
sumbitch
dork
muttonhead
numskull
fuckhead
simpleton
ass
dolt
sod
prick
snake
toad
pill
shit
rat
skunk
snot
turd
louse
meanie
off one's rocker
braindead
doofus
jagoff
melt
prannock
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

chk071
KVRAF
18153 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 am

chaosWyrM wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 pm
lol...nonsense. they werent tracking users. they were deleting files off peoples computers.
Adding to that, those accusations, as far as i've read it, always came from a certain warez site. By very trustable members of some cracker groups. Who argued that what Tone2 did is immoral. Oh the irony.

SMH
KVRist
217 posts since 22 Feb, 2017

Post Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:42 pm

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 am
chaosWyrM wrote:
Adding to that, those accusations, as far as i've read it, always came from a certain warez site. By very trustable members of some cracker groups. Who argued that what Tone2 did is immoral. Oh the irony.
:dog:

layzer
KVRAF
5922 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:29 am

I would just forget about using Vanguard if you can't use it lawfully.
it just isn't worth going to jail.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

chaosWyrM
KVRAF
1747 posts since 29 Apr, 2010 from NYC

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:16 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 am
chaosWyrM wrote:
thats not irony and what they did was absolutely immoral.

they took the law into their own hands. there are legal procedures to follow if they believe someone violated their copyrights....(which is a civil matter btw...no ones ever going to jail for that (as per layzer there)), they should have gone through the proper channels. what they did was worse than piracy, as they wrote code to deliberately tamper with peoples computers...without any due process or any way of ensuring their malicious code wasnt doing things beyond what they had intended, which was already morally wrong.

but...this goes back to my initial statement. no dev can ever know if someone is using their sw "illegally". which is why tone2 resorted to their underhanded spray 'n pray tactics. they couldnt think of another way...because there is no other way. so....their malicious code was sent out into the wild and it eventually messed with legit users systems....which...well duh, of course it did.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Instruments”