So will reFX sue me if I use someone elses Vanguard serial?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
chk071
KVRAF
18865 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 am

chaosWyrM wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:16 am
thats not irony and what they did was absolutely immoral.
You don't consider it ironic that people take the honest work of other people, crack it, and distribute it for free, and then claim that the people they stole and distribute it from, are immoral?
chaosWyrM wrote:
they took the law into their own hands. there are legal procedures to follow if they believe someone violated their copyrights....(which is a civil matter btw...no ones ever going to jail for that (as per layzer there)), they should have gone through the proper channels. what they did was worse than piracy, as they wrote code to deliberately tamper with peoples computers...without any due process or any way of ensuring their malicious code wasnt doing things beyond what they had intended, which was already morally wrong.
Wow. Are you gonna tell me that you browsed through the source code of their plugins, or that you know what other software from other developers do? Apart from that, you're really on a ridge walk here about what developers can, and what they can't do. There's also this thing called "EULA" which manages pretty well the relationship between end consumer and vendor.

Well, i don't know where you are living, but, where i'm living, there's more trust in honest businesses than in members of cracker groups. In the end, what you repeat here is stuff which has been stated by people who don't give a cr** about morality. Not that i really want to hold the same old BS discussion for a thousandth time.

chaosWyrM
KVRAF
1759 posts since 29 Apr, 2010 from NYC

Re: So will reFX sue me if I use someone elses Vanguard serial?

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:47 am

no, i dont consider it ironic that their malicious code tampered with peoples computers who did nothing wrong.

i also dont consider it "ironic" that they engaged in actual illegal activities in order to combat perceived illegal activities...thats not irony, thats hypocrisy.

an "eula" is often considered non-binding since one is generally not afforded the opportunity to view it before the purchase...nor are they ever able to renegotiate terms (a requirement for a binding contract)...also eulas are almost entirely unenforceable nonsense....like a sign that says "not responsible for lost or stolen items" at the coat check counter...yes they most certainly are responsible for lost or stolen items. much like that sign...the eula is there to make you think you cant do things that you most certainly can, or that the dev can do things that they most certainly can not.

sings are not legal documents...and neither really are eulas.

i live in the united states...and the legal status and enforceability of eulas is very much not settled law...and even varies by state.

again...if tone2 suspected people of violating their copyrights...they should have gone through the proper legal channels, not engaged in digital vigilantism.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 am

all of this is still moot in regards to the ops question:
the answer is still no, since even if they could, there is no way for them to ever know you did so.
ImageImageImage

UltraPortamento
KVRer
13 posts since 21 Feb, 2018

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:35 am

harryupbabble wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm
How come the turtle evolved to have a shell and yet testicles didn't?
Dude, this is an incredibly important question! :o :o :o

AnX
KVRAF
3928 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am

chaosWyrM wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 am
the answer is still no, since even if they could, there is no way for them to ever know you did so.
unless vanguard is "phoning home" :wink:

SMH
KVRist
222 posts since 22 Feb, 2017

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

chk071 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 am
chaosWyrM wrote:
thats not irony and what they did was absolutely immoral.
You don't consider it ironic that people take the honest work of other people, crack it, and distribute it for free, and then claim that the people they stole and distribute it from, are immoral?
chaosWyrM wrote:
they took the law into their own hands. there are legal procedures to follow if they believe someone violated their copyrights....(which is a civil matter btw...no ones ever going to jail for that (as per layzer there)), they should have gone through the proper channels. what they did was worse than piracy, as they wrote code to deliberately tamper with peoples computers...without any due process or any way of ensuring their malicious code wasnt doing things beyond what they had intended, which was already morally wrong.
Wow. Are you gonna tell me that you browsed through the source code of their plugins, or that you know what other software from other developers do? Apart from that, you're really on a ridge walk here about what developers can, and what they can't do. There's also this thing called "EULA" which manages pretty well the relationship between end consumer and vendor.

Well, i don't know where you are living, but, where i'm living, there's more trust in honest businesses than in members of cracker groups. In the end, what you repeat here is stuff which has been stated by people who don't give a cr** about morality. Not that i really want to hold the same old BS discussion for a thousandth time.
:tu:

SMH
KVRist
222 posts since 22 Feb, 2017

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 pm

UltraPortamento wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:35 am
harryupbabble wrote:
Because their cold blooded so they don't need to keep their testicles outside their body to keep them from getting too warm to produce sperm.

chaosWyrM
KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 pm

AnX wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:37 am
chaosWyrM wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 am
unless vanguard is "phoning home" :wink:
i see the wink yes....but we all know that even if it did phone home...that still wouldnt mean anything. a phone home cant prove illegal use...or who the user is. all theyll get is an ip...big deal.

have fun paying lawyers to track down and sue someone using nothing but an ip. these are small time vst devs...not giant ass multi-billion $$ entertainment corporations, they dont have the resources required for such a pointless pursuit....especially since they cant prove anything even if they could track you down...which they cant.

and even if they could...what are the damages? the cost of the software?...lol....no one is ever going to waste their time....the notion is ridiculous.
ImageImageImage

highkoo
KVRAF
3813 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm

chk071 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 am

Your indignant tone fits right in with the country mouse naivete.

The actual real truth is that the software Markus knowingly distributed is far more illegal than anything any of the hackers ever did to him, and, the hackers were more honest about what Markus did than he ever was.
Deal with it.
ImageImageImageImage

harryupbabble
KVRAF
1522 posts since 20 Mar, 2012 from Babbleon

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm

SMH wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 pm
UltraPortamento wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:35 am
harryupbabble wrote:
Because their cold blooded so they don't need to keep their testicles outside their body to keep them from getting too warm to produce sperm.
Sure, a turtle's shell might be good for warmth too, but also, wouldn't it be nice to have a shell like a turtle's shell around guy's nuts, especially the guys who go to the liquor store and get their nuts kicked by random nutkickers?
vurt wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:41 pm
you might randomly get kicked in the nuts while buying liquor at the corner shop :o
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

dune_rave
KVRian
1226 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 pm

TO THE OP:
if you worry bout the legality of your "bought" license, you can always obtain a "warez" version - maybe thats more legal in this case !
:)
Oh, plus why don't you worry about the fact you bought that license -I'am speaking not the usage, only the buying- Jesus, you've already have broken the law :)

UltraPortamento
KVRer

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 pm

I mean there generally _is_ more trust in honest businesses than in cracking groups.

Unfortunately, a business that injects malware into their products is no longer an honest business!

UltraPortamento
KVRer

Post Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:43 pm

harryupbabble wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Sure, a turtle's shell might be good for warmth too, but also, wouldn't it be nice to have a shell like a turtle's shell around guy's nuts, especially the guys who go to the liquor store and get their nuts kicked by random nutkickers?
vurt wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:41 pm
you might randomly get kicked in the nuts while buying liquor at the corner shop :o
Octopi evolved to keep their shells inside of their bodies. Maybe our testicles can evolve shells the other way around. It would look kinda weird, though, honestly.

Maybe we can just develop a biological jock-strap. :hihi:

tasty tatsyn
KVRist
239 posts since 19 Jun, 2016

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:19 am

after reading this topic and it's content that some people can obviously see through i close it and_
i was going to move on but then something interesting happens..

Behold! my antivirus detected a...... Virus! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe these topic pages call.... somewhere nice...... ;) :roll:

out........... :dog:

tasty tatsyn
KVRist
239 posts since 19 Jun, 2016

Post Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:44 am

:cry: :o

Maybe.....

Return to “Instruments”