One Synth Challenge #120: SE PolyMod KX by KX77FREE (Voting Time!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great round everyone :D and thanks for all the feedback and conversations! @bjporter thanks for OSC !!, and I'll choose the Wusik bundle please.

Also, I feel compelled to give another shout out to lokken/asi4's track... there were quite a few great entries but that one moved me. :clap: :pray:

I'll choose the Modelonia v2 please. :hyper:

Shoutout to @bjporter @RichardSemper for organizing this wonderful challenge every month! :tu: :clap: The OSC community is amazing and I love it! :hug:

Relik, I will PM you the link. :cool:

>Sometimes you have to do a circular gesture with the mouse to mimic turning a knob (for authenticity?) and a few moments later you dont have to.

Try clicking the knob center and being a little carefull about moving the mouse strictly vertically. Any kind of circular motion will switch it to "circular mode".

Hi,

Thanks all for your great tracks, I discovered this topic yesterday :phones:
Your returns about the GUI are very utile, specially about the mouse rotary response (I will test this on Cubase and others DAW ) and the bold menus...

I did some tutos on my Youtube channel but I know that my synths are sometime complex but very very efficient to work on several hundred of parameters on one panel.

To work on classic VA synths there are some rules I experimented since a lot of years:
-all values must be in volt like real analogue synths
-all parameters values must be set in millivolt (numeric fields)
-all EG must be with no linear segments with 1 ms minimal time.
-all oscillators and EG must have a reset or not when the note is played for phase start to 0
-the LFO rate must be no linear as possible
-the users must have the choice between the VA features (KXMOD) or not, to choice the style of sound, old or modern.
- some DSP features must be oversampled if else the aliasing destroys the sound... You can destroy the sound after in the mix but if the synth sounds crappy you can do nothing!
-the matrix is the best choice to manage a lot of parameters on minimal GUI in virtual context.

About the KXMOD, I developed the KXPM synths since 2003, since I started to develop VSTi I experimented several ways to implement the oscillators and filter voltage variations of each voice of classic poly analogue synths, I did that in the start of 2000 decade and I'm glad to see that now all good VA use the same type of modulations, in fact we have no choices because there is no other way to do that...

The SE PolyMod KX is a special work for help the SE community to debug and learn the main features of SE to do a VA. It is based of the original SE SEM modules not with my SEM modules coded with my own dsp code. By this way I can save as it in AU format because I have not any Apple computer to build xcode SEM. This one is provided with its SE1 file and skin, if you are a windows user you can download the last SE 1.4 , no need license to try SE, just the synth will be signed SynthEdit, limited to a stereo output and with only 16 presets... You can rebuild the synth (VST3-2 AU) if you want to customize it! SE is an amazing modular environment to produce with c++ or not good VA, I'm a fervent supporter of this great musical software.

You can contact me on KVR on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=510227

Xavier

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm
If you don‘t get #1 with this I‘ll eat my hat...
I promised it, I did eat my hat...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDo-wRb ... e=youtu.be

Rofl - Exponent pointed out on the OSC slack channel that TJ is eating his hat! Thanks TJ for keeping your promise and making us smile. You rock!

His hat looks like it's made out of a taco shell! Well played, sir.....well played!

"I made a hat just for this purpose"......I always knew TJ was a wise man!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Pass the old El Hatso

Jeff McClintock wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 pm >Sometimes you have to do a circular gesture with the mouse to mimic turning a knob (for authenticity?) and a few moments later you dont have to.

Try clicking the knob center and being a little carefull about moving the mouse strictly vertically. Any kind of circular motion will switch it to "circular mode".
Guenon solved this with his normal "What does this part of the code do if I change it to this" :D

Hi,

I updated this one.
Actually it tested with Logic Pro X on Mojave , so the last 64 bit 2.01 version seems to work fine. Tell me if you find bugs,I will report them to the SE devs community.
Specially on Catalina (V10.15.4) I need to know if the installation instructions are right.
thk!

main changes with version 2.0
- Update to last SE 1.4 engine.
- New internal preset manager.
- Possibility to load VST3 presets with VST2 plug-ins.
- Midi learn setting saved in presets.
- VST3-2: possibility to import fxp presets from x86 plug-in.
- AU: various fixed bugs (beta -> stable), debugged on recent OSX versions by MAC developers from SE community.

and I updated its readme file :

Installation:

(OSX, 64 bit AU)
My main tests are done on Mojave.
Now the installation of plug-ins on recent OSX is not really simple...

Copy the entire SE PolyMod KX.component bundle (folder) provided with the ZIP to:
Mac HD > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > Components

The internal AU presets menu works only if you copied the AU presets inside the Users libraries.
Copy the x... k... folder of the AU presets to:
Mac HD > Users > "your name" > Library > Audio > Presets

Note that the Library folder on a Mac is a hidden folder.
More information:
https://www.macworld.com/article/205722 ... ricks.html

Using Plug-ins on macOS Catalina (V10.15.4)
Mac OS now requires applications and plug-ins to be 'notarized', which means they need a digital signature to identify who made them.
Plugins that are not notarized are blocked from running, you will see a message like "Plugin cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified".

There are two workarounds that can help:
In your DAW, hit <Cancel> to the message, then open System Preferences/Security & Privacy,
you should see the plugin mentioned at the bottom.
Click 'Allow Anyway' to enable it.

Open Terminal. Type the following three commands, hitting <return> in between.

sudo spctl --master-disable
auval -a
sudo spctl --master-enable

(x86)
1- Unzip the SE PolyMod KX.zip.

2- Copy the SE PolyMod KX.dll and the "SE PolyMod KX" folder into your Vstplugins folder.

Note:
Normally the plug-in copies its embedded files (*.sem, data, etc...) inside a folder with the same name when the plug-in is
initialized for the first time by your host program. But sometime on Vista or Seven that doesn't work with Live,
generally it is a bug about the rights. So this is why the plug-in folder is in the zip ...
You must be logged in administor not in simple user because you must have all rights on the "vstplugins" folder generally installed in the "Program file" folder which is protected by Windows.

(x64)
Installation example:
1- Unzip and copy the VST3 folder in "C:\Programs\Common files\VST3".

2- To operate the 64 bit (x64) KX77FREE plug-ins require MicroSoft files called "Visual C ++ Redistributable Package". These need to be installed only once on each PC that uses these plug-ins, get the 2015 version or the 2017 compatible version (check your already installed packages):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/downloa ... x?id=53587

3- In "Users\"your account"\Documents\VST3 Presets\xavier kalensky\"SE PolyMod KX", you copy all *.vstpreset files provided with the VST3.
If you use these plug-ins as VST2, it is recommended to install the VST3 presets because now the internal menu displays only the VST3 presets installed in the user's Documents folder! If your DAW is in Administrator mode the Documents folder will be the one of the Administrator account .

4- If your DAW does not support VST3, rename the extension of the plugin *.vst3 by *.dll (VST2) and copy the VST2 folder in "C:\Programs\Common files\VST2" or in your usual x64 VST2 folder (not in the vst3 folder!).

5- Update the database of your DAW by scanning the plug-ins.

Note:
"Common Files" is a protected Windows system folder. Your DAW must be in Administrator mode to save presets in this one. If else you must save them in your Document folder of your account or you can also use another folder which is not protected by Windows.

Return to “Instruments”