U-he offer from Native instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sailor moon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 am If I wanna buy first U-he should I start with repro 1?
Just in case you don't already know, RePro is actually a bundle (of sorts) comprising RePro-1 (a Pro One emulation: mono synth) and RePro-5 (a Prophet-5). You get both, and can't purchase one without the other. Both are similar (same chips for filters and oscs), but still have enough differences between them to make owning and using both worh it. Sound-wise, there's no better analog synth emulations on the market IMO. I think they make an excellent place to start with U-he products. :tu:

Thank you for advice :) I’m just starting .

Yeah, RepPro is amazing but there is a not insignificant CPU hit with it. Without knowing what style of music you want to make, I'd suggest Hive as a first foray into u-he's world. It's very user-friendly, far more versatile than I thought it would be and easy on the CPU.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

yeah plus you will get the new HIVE for free when it comes out! ^
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:42 am
sailor moon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:55 am If I wanna buy first U-he should I start with repro 1?
why not :)
RePro 1/5 is a great synth, but it is an emulation (meaning you are limited to the idiosyncrasies and limitations of those particular synths). IMO, you would be better served with something like DIVA, which also has a great analog sound, but has several modules (from Moog/Roland/Oberheim/Korg) that you can "mix'n match" to create hybrid synths.

For analog sound, DIVA would be my first choice.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:54 pm RePro 1/5 is a great synth, but it is an emulation (mening you are limited to the idiosyncrasies of those particular synths). IMO, you would be better served with something like DIVA, which also has a great analog sound, but has several modules (from Moog/Roland/Oberheim/Korg) that you can "mix'n match" to create hybrid synths.

For analog sound, DIVA would be my first choice.
agreed! :tu:

FWW - disagreed. I now have both, and while Diva is a wonderful synth, with the great mix-and-match modules, it somehow never manages to be more than the sum of its parts. Architecture is still pretty limited really... personally I'd rather have had them push the boat out that bit more with the modulation options. The end results sound great, but imo not demonstrably better than other good analogue soft synths.

The Repros on the other hand just blow me away.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm The Repros on the other hand just blow me away.
Fair enough. I guess it depends on what you look for on a synth. If you look for THAT particular sound and features, then, as an emulation, it sounds great.

But if you look for a good variety of analog synth sounds, RePro is limited. But maybe I'm biased here - Prophets were never my dream synths, anyway. :shrug:
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:03 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm The Repros on the other hand just blow me away.
Fair enough. I guess it depends on what you look for on a synth. If you look for THAT particular sound and features, then, as an emulations, it sounds great.

But if you look for a good variety of analog synth sounds, RePro is limited. But maybe I'm biased here - Prophets were never my dream synths, anyway. :shrug:
I agree with you..

Without specifics involved (like preferred genre to work with)...

I would recommend Hive for a newcomer first.
I’d recommend Diva as a possible alternative, but I still think Hive would be easier to learn on (and is more flexible).
I’d recommend Repro last (for a necomer) for the same rationale.

To everyone else, not new, I think you have to own both Diva and Repro.

fmr wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:03 pmFair enough. I guess it depends on what you look for on a synth. If you look for THAT particular sound and features, then, as an emulations, it sounds great.

I'm usually not at all fussed about what the hardware is or was, unless I'm reaching for something really specific for a specific project. My point really is that the ground that Diva covers has a lot of competition, which sounds essentially as good imo or in the same ballpark. Of course there's no exact like-for-like alternative, some synths offer more, some less, some are part of bundles, some are all integrated. For example, many cite Monark as superior for a minimoog emulation. My Korg MS20 vst actually sounds excellent next to Diva's MS20 modules and - gulp - I think I even prefer it. This is kinda my point... if you have very few other VAs from this era of synthesis then Diva is a solid buy, but it offers less if you are pretty well stocked.

And I do want to emphasise - I'm not griping. It was a killer deal in the sale, its a really well made synth and a ton of care and love has gone into it. This is all about comparison with the competition.

I have nothing else that really sounds like the Repros. I think maybe that's 50/50 the amazing emulation job and the killer built-in suite of effects. YMMV of course, but assuming someone already has other good VA soft synths, I'd nudge towards the Repros as the priority.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:33 pm For example, many cite Monark as superior for a minimoog emulation. My Korg MS20 vst actually sounds excellent next to Diva's MS20 modules and - gulp - I think I even prefer it. This is kinda my point... if you have very few other VAs from this era of synthesis then Diva is a solid buy, but it offers less if you are pretty well stocked.
But I think that's exactly in that point that you are mistaken, IMO. DIVA was never about competing in the emulation field. Of course Mokark may be a better Minimoog emulation - it follows the Mini signal path point by point. The same can be said about the vitual Korg MS-20. But you can't mix the Korg filter with the Mini oscillators, can you? Or use the Korg oscillators with the Oberheim SEM filter. That's where DIVA excels, and where it doesn't have any real competitor.

DIVA was NEVER about emulating the Minimoog, the MS-20, or the Jupiters. You can recreate some sounds of any of them (the more generic ones), but you can't follow a patch sheet point by point, value by value, as you should in a proper emulation. However, you can create sounds that are not possible in any emulation because you can mix parts of each synth with parts of others. In that aspect, the addition of the JP-8000 oscillators and the SEM filter added a lot of value, BTW.

I don't understand why people insist in looking at DIVA as if it was a Minimoog emulation, or a Jupiter-8 emulation, or an MS-20 emulation, when it was neither of that, always forgetting the most important feature, which is the possibility of combining different parts/modules of different synths, and therefore creating entirely "new" synths, that never actually existed.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr - of course I realise this. But to me the combination of modules doesn't result in magic. It results in stuff that... well, sounds broadly similar to other synths. And perhaps because it doesn't focus on one thing, it doesn't have the edge that some other single-purpose synths do.

Anyway, each to their own. Both great synths. To me, Repro has the edge for all the above reasons, and that's pretty much all I have to offer on it without repeating myself. Carry on, everyone.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I simply liked the preset sounds of Diva better than the Repro ones and decided on Diva also for its flexibility. I don't need any other analog emulation for the rest of my life... (But GAS does not ask if you need it or not...)

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:53 pm I simply liked the preset sounds of Diva better than the Repro ones and decided on Diva also for its flexibility. I don't need any other analog emulation for the rest of my life... (But GAS does not ask if you need it or not...)
i think this is important, as it was stated "im just starting"
id suggest, listening through some of the demos of sound designers, for any of the synths youre interested in, and seeing which sounds attract you.

as you can see above, those of us who have been doing this a while, we have our favourites, which is fine, but us listing all our favourites wont help you in the end :)

however, i will say, if youre looking at uhe synths specifically, im sure you will be happy with which ever you choose :)
and the uhe team are a great bunch, check their company forum for more/better information on their synths and you will be up and running in no time.

and good luck on your journey, have fun :ud:

noiseboyuk wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm FWW - disagreed. I now have both, and while Diva is a wonderful synth, with the great mix-and-match modules, it somehow never manages to be more than the sum of its parts. Architecture is still pretty limited really... personally I'd rather have had them push the boat out that bit more with the modulation options. The end results sound great, but imo not demonstrably better than other good analogue soft synths.

The Repros on the other hand just blow me away.
The Repros blow me away too but I don't agree about Diva, I think it does manage to be more than the sum of its parts. It's one of the few plugins that feel like a cohesive musical instrument to me (which I think explains why out of so many synths it has amongst the highest level of playable patches - both in the factory bank and add-ons and even ones I made myself - it's hard to make it sound bad - possibly some of the architectural constraints help there too)

Return to “Instruments”