£500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

£500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

£500 VST Instrument
39%
£500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller
61%

Total votes: 46

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Given the choice of software and hardware we have, if you were given £500 ( or what ever your equivalent currency is ) and you only had the choice to choose between a keyboard (hardware based) or a VST Instrument (obviously software based), what would you choose, assuming the cost's were the same ?

Whilst the reality is that you could buy a set of VST's to make up the cost of £500, what I'm asking you is really about what you place the most value in, when it comes to the software v hardware dilemma.

I added my first ever poll here, just to make things interesting. :)
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Software, hands down. No contest.

That’s $650.85 for me
Let’s see, I’d buy these hardware synths and drum machine
Poly-800 (300?)
Casio MT-68 (50)
Yamaha PSR-36 (100)
CZ-230s (100?)
Boss Dr Rhythm 220 (110?)
Or if I wanted 3 synths
Yamaha/Casio 80’s or 90’s home keyboard with auto accompaniment (100)
Alpha Juno (400)
Yamaha TX-81Z (100)

If new
Behringer Odyssey and Korg Volca Beats.
For $500 I could just buy an old ROMpler of some sort.

Ok, so if only ONE. An old 80s budget polysynth that’s still sold cheap.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

For me, Id probably get an AE Modular from tangible waves. https://www.tangiblewaves.com/

all depend about what you need but for someone that start music production I would say Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 49,
because you get some plug-ins from the Komplete Select (which is really good when you start, and you can upgrade it if needed later to a Komplete production suite) and the controller
Show the World the producer you are !
www.motivsound.com

I get a Deepmind
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

It depends on the needs (studio use? live gigs?) and what you already have.

Taking for granted that the sound of both choices is comparable, I’d probably go with software if I was just starting out, because of the benefit of multiple instances. But if I already had a setup which allows me to work, I’d go with whatever I like.
I like hardware, so I’ll probably choose that... but I’d go with whatever works, really.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Saukar30 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:17 am I get a Deepmind
I guess i'd do that as well.

if you are producer - vst.
Hardware isn't comparative since wavetable vsti rule the game.
If you are player - probably hardware.

Oooh goody another "hardware vs software" thread. We haven't had one of those in a couple of hours. :wheee:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Tough decision nonetheless... for the price of a 500 pound hardware synth, you get at least 3 or 4 very good soft synths.

My guess is the OP has 500 spare, and wonders what to do with them now. ;)

erbe verb and still have cash for some bud.
think ill order both now.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 pm Software, hands down. No contest.
what if you didn't already have a kb controller?

Yep, a keyboard controller would be a good investment as well.

Vst instruments and effect over hardware every time with maybe upgrade for my cpu
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Return to “Instruments”