£500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

£500 VST Instrument Or £500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller ?

£500 VST Instrument
39%
£500 Keyboard Synthesizer / Controller
61%

Total votes: 46

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Depends entirely on what you've already got, if anything.

Hardware, no contest. I would never pay 500 for a single softsynth.

Yes.. and I did. Neutron and beatstep pro.

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:27 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 pm Software, hands down. No contest.
what if you didn't already have a kb controller?
Then I'd buy a kb controller and with what's left I'd buy as many soft synths as I could.

I spent more than 500 each on a Linnstrument and Push 2. Having said that, I use a laptop and I’ll just as often use a computer keypadboard to tap out a few notes, rather than drag either to another part of the house. Honestly, having a controller is great but, I made it for long periods of time without one. I’d go for the software, given the choice.

I would even pay 1000€ for a Linnstrument and be fine with Surge... A vst without being able to play it is simply useless...

yeah, you didn't specify if you already have a controller or not and that makes all the difference. If you have a controller at or about the 500 mark, then software all the way obviously. No reason to upgrade at the moment at that price range. If you have nothing to play your vsti's on then obviously controller, then software extras with what ever left over.

I'm just so glad I don't have to worry about these what ifs that people put all these stipulations on.

I just do what I want and am thankful that I'm able to.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:47 pm if you were given £500
Is "you" just starting out? Or already have a productive setup?
Has a computer and i-net to access free software?

Assuming someone computer savvy and 'just starting out':

Hardware:
used Roland jdxi $300
61 key midi controller $125
(Or a new UNO with an 88 key controller)
Five digital issues of ComputerMusicMagazine $25
terrabyte drive and external case for linux $50

Premium membership at
www.linuxmusicians.com : priceless
:party: :hyper: :party:

Dasheesh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:31 pm yeah, you didn't specify if you already have a controller or not and that makes all the difference. If you have a controller at or about the 500 mark, then software all the way obviously. No reason to upgrade at the moment at that price range. If you have nothing to play your vsti's on then obviously controller, then software extras with what ever left over.
The question isn't about what you personally have or don't have currently, it's simply asking what you deem of greater value to you. Imagine being locked in a vault, the only way you get out is by choosing one of these and to ultimately survive. :wink:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

And whats the point of all this? How useful is that?

Yeah, you could always eat your own leg or the guys leg who’s next to you, and survive for a while. Assuming, you’re not locked up in some kind of food storage vault already.

glokraw wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:36 pm Is "you" just starting out? Or already have a productive setup?
No, it's just the usual topical and probing question I leave you to think about..and answer.. :-)

I already have two 61 key synthesizer / controllers as part of my setup/...a Casio XW P1 & XW G1, Yamaha QY100, Akai LPD8, Audio Interfaces, laptop, a recently upgraded Core I7 920 desktop system ect.. a ton of software and VST plugins. It's always useful to discover what can be bought, now or in the future from either sides of the coin, and thus maybe I or someone may discover something awesome that does fit into that price bracket in the future...as an upgrade... so it's somewhat useful as well.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Elektronisch wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:56 pm And whats the point of all this? How useful is that?
Same point as is this synth better than blah.. same as my DAW is best
same as I'm so cool I got more than 20 compressors (I like compressors)
As pointless as me being a Kvrer... but I like it, it's fun :party:

softsynths are getting somewhat redundant lately, so that sum would go towards something exotic, like a Moog One. Not that i need a Moog One, but sometimes i would just like to sit at a good analog synthesizer with headphones and noodle all night. And i already do that with my AX-80,
but the Moog One has all those KNOBS!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”