Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2817 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 am

Very CPU demanding…

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

chaosmeister
KVRer
6 posts since 10 Jan, 2015

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 am

Pointless waste of developer's resources, if you ask me. Sounds uninteresting (sonically, I mean), no features you don't find in a zillion other synths... I mean, really... 2 sampled sound sources, 4 modulators, 3 filter models... And then, judging by the video, I should get excited by the cool animation of the random rainstorm, or the cool visuals of the Euclidean sequencer? And the looping sample has an audible clicky looppoint beyond belief. Please... This is completely disappointing, certainly for a company like Softube.

functionform
KVRist
287 posts since 13 May, 2017 from Virginia

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 am

The intro videos didn't blow me away and it really doesn't seem targeted to people who like sound design - more like people who want to randomly turn knobs and end up with "something usable"

db3
KVRAF
2020 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:36 am

I thought this might be interesting, but ended up uninstalling the demo after 20 min.
-dthree-

DJErmac
KVRian
744 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:03 am

Not a very interesting synth in the end. The presets are the most WTF I've heard in a "big" product (I mean : I've not heard a SINGLE preset I'd use in a song in any context), the sound is not mindblowing at all, I'm going to uninstall it also.

Teksonik
KVRAF
12177 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am

I feel kind of sorry for developers these days. The market especially in this niche is beyond saturated. To make a splash you need to drop something that is either really new or much better than what is already on the market.

This plugin doesn't appear to do either and then to handcuff it with something silly like Gobbler or even the more ubiquitous iLok Soft Manager and you've just about given yourself two strikes before the first pitch is even thrown out. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Stan Navi
KVRist
190 posts since 27 Nov, 2014

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 am

The presets as usual are not strong point of Softube, but sounds quite good and usable, if you tweak by yourself. Also don't see it cpu demanding.

Teksonik
KVRAF
12177 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:37 am

Spitfire31 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 am
Very CPU demanding…Joachim
Stan Navi wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 am
don't see it cpu demanding.
System specs probably wouldn't hurt with opposing reports such as these. Demanding or not it wouldn't hurt to know what CPUs you have so we can gauge ours against the reports. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

ravasb
KVRian
848 posts since 20 Feb, 2004

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am

I would give them more of the benefit of the doubt, but my experience with them in customer service has really been miserable.

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3137 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am

Ok this is all good but... HOW does it sound? No audio examples? That video doesn't say much and the product page is just filled with quotes & lot of blablabla...

*Edit: duh! :dog: Found the audio tab on the page.

svart
KVRer
25 posts since 20 Dec, 2014 from up north

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am

Very interesting :)

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3137 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:12 am

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am
I feel kind of sorry for developers these days. The market especially in this niche is beyond saturated. To make a splash you need to drop something that is either really new or much better than what is already on the market.

This plugin doesn't appear to do either and then to handcuff it with something silly like Gobbler or even the more ubiquitous iLok Soft Manager and you've just about given yourself two strikes before the first pitch is even thrown out. :?
Developers certainly need to come up with very unique & special products. There's no escape nowadays, they can't come up with a 'simple' synth that has been heard 1000 times before just with a new GUI and a new concept that at the end makes it sound like just any other synth. They really need to think outside the box otherwise their stuff will go straight under the radar and eventually sink into oblivion.

Very glad I'm not a developer indeed and just a user who loves sculpting sounds.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Robmobius
KVRAF
3117 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:13 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:44 am
Ok this is all good but... HOW does it sound? No audio examples? That video doesn't say much and the product page is just filled with quotes & lot of blablabla...

*Edit: duh! :dog: Found the audio tab on the page.
There are examples of how it sounds on the ST website.
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.

deastman
KVRAF
6993 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 am

I don’t think the concept is terrible, and Softube has a good reputation when it comes to their algorithms. The thing is, between all the other wavetable and granular and sampled library synths I already own, I just don’t feel that this adds much. Certainly not at the asking price. It is also unfortunate that they’re so closely tied to the sample sources, which, quite frankly, aren’t all THAt many. If I could import my own samples, that would be a huge improvement. Because let’s face it, I already have my own big collection of hardware to sample from.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

Return to “Instruments”