Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Dillinger
KVRist
201 posts since 2 Apr, 2016

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm

I see a lot of conflicting information regarding the obligation to install Gobbler with Softube’s software both here and across the net.

I do not want Gobbler.

Can this in-fact be installed w/o Gobbler by selecting it as a single download from the Softube user account page?

User avatar
Stan Navi
KVRist
190 posts since 27 Nov, 2014

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Will they expand sound sources? :?:

User avatar
plexuss
KVRAF
2685 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Dillinger wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm
I see a lot of conflicting information regarding the obligation to install Gobbler with Softube’s software both here and across the net.

I do not want Gobbler.

Can this in-fact be installed w/o Gobbler by selecting it as a single download from the Softube user account page?
I did not see the individual installer on the downloads page. I seem to recall this happening in the past with plugins - they don't get put on the download page immediately. it may be prudent to email them to ask them when. I use gobbler. it's annoying because I keep forgetting I have to quit it and re-start to have it up date with the installer, after I get the demo. :phones:

User avatar
Dillinger
KVRist
201 posts since 2 Apr, 2016

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 pm

plexuss wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm
Dillinger wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm
I see a lot of conflicting information regarding the obligation to install Gobbler with Softube’s software both here and across the net.

I do not want Gobbler.

Can this in-fact be installed w/o Gobbler by selecting it as a single download from the Softube user account page?
I did not see the individual installer on the downloads page. I seem to recall this happening in the past with plugins - they don't get put on the download page immediately. it may be prudent to email them to ask them when. I use gobbler. it's annoying because I keep forgetting I have to quit it and re-start to have it up date with the installer, after I get the demo. :phones:
Thank you

User avatar
UnbalancedBeats
KVRist
135 posts since 6 Jun, 2008 from Spain

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:04 pm

plexuss wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm
Dillinger wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm
I see a lot of conflicting information regarding the obligation to install Gobbler with Softube’s software both here and across the net.

I do not want Gobbler.

Can this in-fact be installed w/o Gobbler by selecting it as a single download from the Softube user account page?
I did not see the individual installer on the downloads page. I seem to recall this happening in the past with plugins - they don't get put on the download page immediately. it may be prudent to email them to ask them when. I use gobbler. it's annoying because I keep forgetting I have to quit it and re-start to have it up date with the installer, after I get the demo. :phones:
Since they are not supporting W 32b there is a kind of bug at the website. I had the same issue when trying to download MI Rings.
But the installer is in Gobbler, dont remember exactly where

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRian
744 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 am

You don't need to install Gobbler first to install this product. Sign In and request the demo. Then wait a couple of minutes. Go to My Downloads. You can find the link to My Downloads (it's always hidden actually) by going to Download, under the "Don't want to use the Gobbler App" part. If Parallels doesn't show up in the list, just wait a couple of minutes. That's how I got it.

EDIT : rephrased the first sentence... :roll:
Last edited by DJErmac on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmonkey
KVRAF
3978 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 am

sqigls wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:56 am
for the billionth f**king time - you don't need to install the Gobbler app to use Softube plugins, ok.
Incorrect!! Entirely!!

You have separate installers available YES but in order to EVEN TRY plugin they ask you to create gobbler account. I know because few month ago i wanted to buy their TAPE plugin. And GOBBLER ASK THEN MY ILOK - in order to even install gobbler - gobbler want my ilok data. NO SIR

So YES YOU NEED GOBBLER TO USE/TRY ANY SOFTUBE PLUGIN!!!

Which is why i avoid them - softube.

Here i made a screenshot if you don't believe me. Just try to "demo" any of their plugins. They (Softube) forward you to create Softube/Gobbler account which in fact is Gobbler account.

Then when you say to yourself - ok i will create damn gobbler account and i uninstall it and just use damn separate installer - then in the process of creating account - They want you to share and link your existing ilok account to gobbler!?!?!!!

Why the f**k would i do that? Why can't softube offer their plugins just the same way everyone else is doing and depose license to user ilok account that is beyond me...I don't want gobbler nonsense, gobbler issues and i don't want to share my ilok data with god damn gobbler.


Image
edit: i changed picture i blurred my email in order to avoid possible spam

and then they came up with this

Image


So no i can not try Parallels without gobbler sneaking in to my data...that legendary Chris from gobbler proudly jumped on Gearslutz forum where people reported NUMEROUS problems with Gobbler. When they reported problem to him and call him to step up - he went silent. No response for years. I guess he wasn't even aware of numerous ongoing problems with gobbler so his "i am your public friend tell me what you need" stunt was actually a flop.

f**k that.
Last edited by kmonkey on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

kmonkey
KVRAF
3978 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:55 am

DJErmac wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 am
You don't need Gobbler to install this product. Sign In and request the demo. Then wait a couple of minutes. Go to My Downloads. You can find the link to My Downloads (it's always hidden actually) by going to Download, under the "Don't want to use the Gobbler App" part. If Parallels doesn't show up in the list, just wait a couple of minutes. That's how I got it.
Read above - see my screenshot - you need it. Especially if you are new user trying to demo their products.

Just try to pretend to be a new user and tell me how the hell i can try it without Gobbler sneaking in my data or in my computer. How?

biomuse
KVRist
33 posts since 14 Oct, 2003

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 am

kmonkey wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:55 am
DJErmac wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:17 am
You don't need Gobbler to install this product. Sign In and request the demo. Then wait a couple of minutes. Go to My Downloads. You can find the link to My Downloads (it's always hidden actually) by going to Download, under the "Don't want to use the Gobbler App" part. If Parallels doesn't show up in the list, just wait a couple of minutes. That's how I got it.
Read above - see my screenshot - you need it. Especially if you are new user trying to demo their products.

Just try to pretend to be a new user and tell me how the hell i can try it without Gobbler sneaking in my data or in my computer. How?
Gobbler can't "sneak in your computer" unless you download and install the Gobbler app. The point is that you don't have to do that. What you're doing in the second screen above is giving both Softube and Gobbler permission to validate their plugins and updates to them on your iLok account automatically. They're asking for that because Gobbler automatically updates your plugins to new versions when you install and choose that option. If you don't choose to install their app, it basically means nothing.

I agree that it all looks a bit fishy, but after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it's a lot more innocuous than it looks at first glance. Having said that, yeah i didn't install the Gobbler app itself and I hand-update my Softube plugs the old fashioned way.

I think Gobbler would face a lot less resistance if they'd fully and completely explain the scope of their services everywhere they're mentioned, at least for a while, and just change their damn name to something that doesn't sound like the service 1) is an invasive alien that will eat your face if you let it or 2) delivers turkey dinners. SO many names out there, folks....
Last edited by biomuse on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprnva
KVRian
1492 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 am

You need a Gobbler account for Softube but you don't need to install the Gobbler app.

If you have an old Softube account this may not apply but when I went to redeem the Time and Tone bundle from my Scarlett I had to create a Gobbler account to register it on Softube. There was no option to create a Softube account itself.
Image Image Image

SirKen
KVRist
315 posts since 19 Oct, 2012

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 am

plexuss wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm
I just spent an hour with the demo. From what I read here I was expecting something pretty bad. However I am pleasantly surprised by Parallels. It has a kind of Falcon sound - that layering of textures and sweeps. Very nice. Then I started with a blank patch and was also impressed with how easy it is to use. Instead of providing simple sources they are fairly complex but also generic enough to allow a lot of flexibility. I like the GUI and usability. It was a 1.6G download.

My only hang-up is the price. It's more of a personal issue than generic - I think if you have a business use for this synth it's easily justifiable. It's kind of like a "one knob Falcon" (but with more than one knob).

Parallels is more like mixing presets with lots of modulation opportunities, than a "synth". Interesting concept: a synth-preset mixing synth. :phones:
That was my impression as well. Like another user mentioned in this thread, it also reminded me of Camel Audio Alchemy a bit.

Gribs
KVRian
878 posts since 9 Feb, 2007 from San Ramon, California

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:01 pm

The demo guy reminds me of the character "Rimmer" from Red Dwarf.

I didn't make it through the second video. The demo guy blabbered all sorts of stupid marketing speak too many times. He repeated the same marketing crap multiple times. The plugin is just a simple wave scanning synth with a circular display showing location and loop points. I would buy it for maybe $10-$20, about the same range as a small Kontakt library from one of my favorite independent developers.

Honestly this disappoints me. I really like Softube modular and their tube delay and spring reverb products (which are fun as modules). There are videos with the same goofy guy demoing some of the modules and he does a better (goofy but better) job there.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

vertibration
KVRist
31 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Zone is 100x better for around the same price

User avatar
plexuss
KVRAF
2685 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't, I wonder if you are giving Parallels a fair shake - just go through the pads for example - very interesting diverse range of sounds! :phones:

synzh
KVRist
255 posts since 27 May, 2013 from Leesburg, VA

Re: Softube's Parallels synth is out ($129)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Hahaha - they actually have a preset called "I Feel a Ripoff" (I believe they really mean ripoff of Giorgio Moroder melody, but it's still funny.)

Return to “Instruments”