Additive Syntheis Synth using waveforms other than sine Pt. 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The previous thread was locked, so I'm continuing it in case other in the community are wondering.

The 1st one that comes to mind for me is Synthmaster. It has multiple oscillayor modes including Additive. You can choose waveform, vol, pan, detune (or phase), algorithim & frequency for each partial. You have 8 partials that you can use.

Hope this helps anybody interested. Please add some other suggestions if you know. Thanks.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

That's not additive synthesis, that's just mixing waveforms. It can not be a partial, if it contains multiple harmonics :P

par·tial
/ˈpärSHəl
nounMUSIC
a component of a musical sound; an overtone or harmonic.
"the upper partials of the string"

'partial' might not be technically or mathematically correct, but it's a good enough abstraction of what is meant.
though a better term for this is probably 'wavelet synthesis'.
don't know of many but from a quick search, virsyn tera has a wavelet mode.

Using a non-sine could be considered a form of partial grouping couldn't it?

The first thread was locked cause the O.P was to pride to admit he didn't actually understood additive synthesis.
He basically asked if there are molecules out there that are based on molecules and not atoms :lol:

But yeah wagtunes :pray:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

For those interested in additive synthesis, just read about Fourier theorem (aka Fourier series). There's really not much to add .. itive.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:51 pm The first thread was locked cause the O.P was to pride to admit he didn't actually understood additive synthesis.
He basically asked if there are molecules out there that are based on molecules and not atoms :lol:

So he basically self-censor himself :lol:

faxinadu wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm That's not additive synthesis, that's just mixing waveforms. It can not be a partial, if it contains multiple harmonics :P

par·tial
/ˈpärSHəl
nounMUSIC
Thanks for the in depth insight. However, I was referring to the process of just mixing waveforms. Some ppl call it additive, so I stand corrected.

Do you know of any such synths that are possible of changing/warping or manipulating individual partials?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:51 pm The first thread was locked cause the O.P was to pride to admit he didn't actually understood additive synthesis.

Well, the question can be read as as there things which use the technique of additive using other than a sine wave.
I imagine there are.
You're insisting on the strict definition, which he probably has. To state wanting that technique with other than sine waves is as fundamental as molecules out of atoms is doing too much IME. Non-sequitur.

It resembles the sort of rhetorical question, 'isn't every wave form ultimately made from sine waves?' which expects the cart of synthesis to pull the horse of phenomena which occur through specific ways of making sound vibrate. No, sine waves are probably not really teleological.

Yes, complex spectra may be created in additive, but it's far from the most efficient way to get there given the desire for a lot of texture. CF: Wavetable; resynthesis... exciting resonances may all use an additive basis.
Additive does begin with sines, and in the stricter sense stays with it but it's also a basic technique. Compare Chowning FM, which in the Yamaha originals was all sines; yet you can modulate other than a sine with other than a sine. Absynth does this.

"Your assumming a breakpoint is a sine wave only , it's not"/sic
there was no evidence of that assumption in the post.

Why not be more gentle rather than all that posturing. :idea:

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Why not be more gentle rather than all that posturing. :idea:
Because he's an asshole and that's what assholes do.

For the historians among us:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=522148

[missed]

Saukar30 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:12 pm
faxinadu wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm That's not additive synthesis, that's just mixing waveforms. It can not be a partial, if it contains multiple harmonics :P

par·tial
/ˈpärSHəl
nounMUSIC
Thanks for the in depth insight. However, I was referring to the process of just mixing waveforms. Some ppl call it additive, so I stand corrected.

Do you know of any such synths that are possible of changing/warping or manipulating individual partials?
yes i do actually :) you are welcome to check my signature.

In the way you are referring to it, you can take any 3 osc synth, detune each one and you got your mixed waveforms....... additive synthesis uses sines, for the fact that they are each an individual partial, building a complex spectrum by adding sines. the idea is that these sines are organized in amplitude in frequency to achieve a sound. if you use any other waveform, you can call it whatever, but additive synthesis by definition it is not.

If anybody here wants me to write a paper on additive synthesis, I'll be happy to do it. I know EXACTLY what additive synthesis is and how it works. And I don't care how many damn partials you can have. Each partial is a simple sine wave. I want a partial that can be something OTHER than a sine wave. It isn't rocket science. And if I have to visibly show what it is I want that the additive synths I have CAN'T do, I'll be MORE than happy to make a video.

The nastiness in this forum makes me want to just take my account and dump it into the trash.

Assholes.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:51 pm The nastiness in this forum makes me want to just take my account and dump it into the trash.
don't you dare!
:hug:

Return to “Instruments”