bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:48 pm
Calenberger wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:52 pm
Reefius wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:28 am I just purchased it for $19.99. It's currently on sale for $39.99 and you get $20 off with the code SUMMER-2020-20.

Great deal! :tu:
Did this end? I can't get the code to work.
Final day for that voucher was 24th of June.
New voucher:
MEGA-SALE-20-OFF
(No Minimum Spend!)
I got the email about the voucher today, and, it says that the discounts on the products last until 30th of June. I'm not sure for how long the voucher is applicable.
My first sentence referred to the summer voucher, not the mega voucher.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:44 pm
bftucker wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:11 pm I definitely do not need bx_oberhausen since I have Arturia’s OBs and just bought Obsession!
The good thing is that it models another synth (SEM/OB-8/whatever against OB-Xa).

And it sounds better than both, but, shhh. ;)
Yep. Definitely a different sound. More akin to an OB-6 (but not the same) than Obsession/OB-Xa. If you like Oberheim, then you gotta catch 'em all.

Calenberger wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:18 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:48 pm
Calenberger wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:55 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:52 pm
Reefius wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:28 am I just purchased it for $19.99. It's currently on sale for $39.99 and you get $20 off with the code SUMMER-2020-20.

Great deal! :tu:
Did this end? I can't get the code to work.
Final day for that voucher was 24th of June.
New voucher:
MEGA-SALE-20-OFF
(No Minimum Spend!)
I got the email about the voucher today, and, it says that the discounts on the products last until 30th of June. I'm not sure for how long the voucher is applicable.
My first sentence referred to the summer voucher, not the mega voucher.
Ah... I see it now. Sorry, I misread.

Some more testing....

There is no way to pan the voices!!??? thats one of the most important parts of the FVS! its in the front pannel!

Got it. Very nice, especially for 18 bucks, heh. At first I thought I preferred this over Obsession, but both are quite different in character. Oberhausen has the edge on edgy sounds, see what I did there, and Obsession wins out on the lush and soft side. Great additions to the ol' synth palette.

klinik wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:36 pm Some more testing....

There is no way to pan the voices!!??? thats one of the most important parts of the FVS! its in the front pannel!
There’s the spread control, and you can offset the filter too.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Pretty good deal at $19.99. Got it. Great little synth.

ariston wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:10 pm Got it. Very nice, especially for 18 bucks, heh. At first I thought I preferred this over Obsession, but both are quite different in character. Oberhausen has the edge on edgy sounds, see what I did there, and Obsession wins out on the lush and soft side. Great additions to the ol' synth palette.
Yeah, I avoided it because the first time I tried it I had issues, but for that price, I figured, “what the hell?”

So far my take on it is that the sound is very good. I probably didn’t quite give it the shake down it deserved when it was released, but man... it’s up there with the best emulations, for sure. Definitely different than Obsession, obviously, as it’s modeled after a totally different synth.

I had a bug where it would play a note or two and then stop. Switch presets, get another couple of notes, then stop. I clicked on the note icon and it seemed to fix it... not sure what that note icon is for. Other than it being a crazy CPU hog, it’s pretty damn good. I wish (as I do with all plugins) that it used both channel and poly aftertouch. Is that hard to implement, because it seems to be missing from so many synths. :x
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:00 am

The spread knobs are cool, but they aren't a proper stand in for actual Voice Panning. They let you get 'wide' in a unison-style way, but they don't allow the usual alternate-panning / random-panning per-voice that we are used to with Oberheims. Spread makes one key-press emit a 'fat' note, whereas real voice panning makes notes move all over the stereo field as you continually play. So, no, Spread doesn't count in this regard.

As an Oberheim emulation, it should have Voice panning like -- for real -- every single other Oberheim emulation currently on the market, both paid and free. No joke.

mholloway wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:59 am

The spread knobs are cool, but they aren't a proper stand in for actual Voice Panning. They let you get 'wide' in a unison-style way, but they don't allow the usual alternate-panning / random-panning per-voice that we are used to with Oberheims. Spread makes one key-press emit a 'fat' note, whereas real voice panning makes notes move all over the stereo field as you continually play. So, no, Spread doesn't count in this regard.

As an Oberheim emulation, it should have Voice panning like -- for real -- every single other Oberheim emulation currently on the market, both paid and free. No joke.
Ah, I just got it and I thought the spread would do alternate panning when not in unison mode, like the modern OB-6. Was the SEM 8 voice capable of panning each voice? I don’t know much about it.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:06 am
mholloway wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:59 am

Ah, I just got it and I thought the spread would do alternate panning when not in unison mode, like the modern OB-6. Was the SEM 8 voice capable of panning each voice? I don’t know much about it.
I wish the OB-6 had per-voice panning. It does have a rather good spread in poly that bounces notes around that also does a nice job in mono to do the fat note thing, as well. But it's not the same as being able to dial it in like in, say, Obsession. Trade-offs. I can understand that limit more in a true analog synth, but to not have that available in a soft synth is kind of silly.

I still think oberhausen is worth $20-$25 because it does have a good emulation of the SEM filter. Limitations, some bugs, and higher-than-needed CPU as well. I have it filed in my "Less Used" synth plugin folder, but I think I'll keep it around.

mholloway wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:59 am As an Oberheim emulation, it should have Voice panning like -- for real -- every single other Oberheim emulation currently on the market, both paid and free. No joke.
I think it's something I can live without, but I agree it should be in there. It shouldn't be that difficult to implement, either (speaking as a non-programmer :oops:). Kind of a strange oversight. PA's track record of updates means it isn't very likely.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the FX section. The distortion can get pretty nasty, sometimes in a good way, the flanger is way too polite, the reverb a bit too metallic, the delay is, yeah, a delay, the chorus is just okay, and I'm not really sure it needed that air band. It looks like it took its inspiration from Repro, but those FX are characterful stomps that really enhance the synth, and these feel tacked on without much thought. At least they could have made some FX parameters mod targets.
But the core is what matters, and it's really good.

Thanks for the heads up. Don’t know how good it is but for $19 it’s a no brainer. Was waiting for a sale like this to check it out. Won’t have time to play with it today though.
Stormchild

Complete no brainer same goes for Largo too

Nice plugin and nice sale. I was interested but why is Plugin Alliance so secretive about payment methods? They have a huge FAQ yet no mentioning of it. The only way would probably to register an account and almost buy a product in order to see payment options at the very end. That feels as shady business to me and has put me off buying anything at them.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Return to “Instruments”