One Synth Challenge #122: Surge (schiing wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Ranoka
KVRist
284 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from The UK

Post Tue May 14, 2019 5:42 am

maxym.srpl wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:52 am
I voted already weeks ago, but shuffling with it till today.
As I'm new at this competition, I'm feeling not confident yet to comment on particular songs. At first a range of genres is very wide even touching zones I'm not used to. It surprised me, that single synth is capable to generate such variety of sounds (of course being set up by experienced and creative musicians). On the other side, sometimes it's hard to vote for genres which are not my cup of tea. There are tracks I rated higher only for sound design even if I don't like particular style or arrangement. But most surprising to me is, how many very positive comments were given to tracks which I voted lowest. Not going into details, I'm just curious am I so wrong at how I feel the music or those comments goal is to not demotivate/discourage (?)

Anyway, there is a lot of great music in this compo. I really enjoyed to listen to the whole playlist.
Greetings.
I would say, comment what you're thinking while listening to the track - it can help people learn/develop to hear the feedback. The consistent feedback I got this time help me realise I still have some fundamental issues with my 'music', so it helps me focus on what to improve to get better. Gotta leave ego out of this to grow.

I see OSC as a friendly challenge that is open to newcomers. In general the comments on SoundCloud tend to be positive/encouraging - you soon learn that praise can still mean a 2 or 3 when it comes to voting. But people also want your 5 so tend not to punch down too hard :lol:

At first everyone is a stranger, one of the best parts of OSC for me is making friends (join the Slack!) and gradually getting to know people's music, and also voting/commenting style - everyone has different things they like to give feedback on, and you pick that stuff up over time. Sometimes you know a choice you make one voter will like but another won't - it's impossible to impress everyone (a couple people come very close though!).

Everyone has different levels of experience, some here have been making music for 40 years, others (like me) have barely even done it for a year :lol:. You can definitely give encouraging comments to a newcomer to help them grow, even though compared to the top tracks theirs still has a lot to be desired.

I am a low ranking member, affectionately known as a bottom dweller :hihi: so my view is probably very different to the guys consistently fighting for the top spot every month.

Really you have to have a thick skin and a good sense of humour because so many hours of hard work goes into making an OSC track, it can be tough to rate/rank the entries because it's not really taking into account people's effort or experience levels. It's tough for beginners to constantly be at the bottom, but as far as merit goes you've got to earn your place at the top :borg:
It makes it all the more meaningful when you start climbing the ranks!

As I see it, there are 3 core pillars to an OSC track:
  1. Music Theory (composition, arrangement etc)
  2. Sound Design (synth patches, creative effects etc)
  3. Production (mixing, mastering, loudness etc)
I would say my personal strengths/interest are in the sound design right now, and my music theory is lacking the most, so that's something I'm gradually trying to improve.
The guys that regularly come top 5 are strong in all 3 pillars (or at least 2 of them and decent in the last)!
I started doing OSC to start making music and not just endlessly play with synths :lol:

In general, regarding genre preference I think most people try to vote without being too biased. So you might give an exceptionally well executed track a 5 even if it's not your favourite genre.
Also a track doesn't have to be perfect for it to get a 5, maybe you just really enjoy a track warts and all! Everyone has their own voting criteria.

I'm rambling, I guess my main point is this is a friendly challenge open to newcomers, and not a contest! Even though the guys at the top may treat it like a contest to keep it interesting for them :hihi:

ps I made the bottom dweller thing up.

Taron
KVRAF
2390 posts since 17 Apr, 2010 from Croatia

Re: One Synth Challenge #122: Surge (Voting Time!)

Post Tue May 14, 2019 6:19 am

What a foolish thing to say: "low ranking member"...pfff... You're one of my favorite members, Ranoka! :hug:
As for music, well, that's- what most find out- why they are here, really. So much to learn, so much to gain. And you are a wonderful example, regarding how you are moving forward, gaining control and understanding. Just continue to be patient with yourself and make sure you love what you're doing! :tu:

As for voting, I really wouldn't want to enable this never-ending conversation, but I still want to throw in: I do give 5s frequently to tracks that I truly enjoy, regardless of all their technical qualities. Sometimes it's all about how someones ideas move me, keep me glued to the track. Can be some truly off-the-wall sort of stuff, too! :hyper:

Ranoka
KVRist
284 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from The UK

Post Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 am

Taron wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:19 am
What a foolish thing to say: "low ranking member"...pfff... You're one of my favorite members, Ranoka! :hug:

I shouldn't have said it like that... I'm not fishing for compliments, or licking my wounds. I also don't meant to insult those who do regularly come near the bottom.

If anything I feel more energised than ever, I find all the different music people bring to the mix encourages me to keep learning and improving. Currently Vert's stuff is inspiring me to improve my chord progressions for example! I think discovering that motivation by myself works better than someone trying to hit me over the head with a music theory book :lol:. Now I'm curious how to do that!

I don't want OSC to feel like a chore because this is my hobby!

schiing
KVRist
299 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Post Tue May 14, 2019 8:16 am

Ranoka wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:42 am
... because so many hours of hard work goes into making an OSC track...
This is important to me - you don't want to discourage people and trash something they have put a lot of effort into. At the same time, as Taron points out, you don't want to send people down the wrong road, and I do try to point out gently what I think needs attention.

Along with familiarity, I think reciprocity also plays a role. Some are more blunt in their feedback than others, and I feel more comfortable pointing out the negatives to them than to someone who has always been perfectly lovely to me (this is not, however, how I wish people will signal that they want more undiplomatic advice from me - please, just ask! :lol: )

But in general I think it's best to keep things cordial - antipathy builds up quickly on the interwebs.

schiing
KVRist

Post Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am

Oh, and I have voted!

vert-hex
KVRer
8 posts since 8 Dec, 2017

Post Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 am

This competition is teaching me how to leave feedback too, eheh... might have been a bit blunt myself. I’ll do better on the qyooo round!

schiing
KVRist

Post Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 am

vert-hex wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 am
This competition is teaching me how to leave feedback too, eheh... might have been a bit blunt myself. I’ll do better on the qyooo round!
Heh, let's hire a waiter to greet new contestants - for future reference!

How do you want your feedback, Sir?

a0vaa60031607046361.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ilmai
KVRist
343 posts since 25 Aug, 2016 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 am

vert-hex wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 am
Blunt is always better than nothing at all, in my books :D

vert-hex
KVRer
8 posts since 8 Dec, 2017

Post Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 pm

@schiing i’ll have mine blue, please. Kind of blue anyway.

doctorbob
KVRian
1258 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Tue May 14, 2019 1:32 pm

@schiing … but only from certified BSE-free cows! UK is still not free of it, but no-one tells you that now.

At the height my wife had to issue certificates etc as well as log the cases, and they were coming in 100's a week. Even when they said it's all gone, they were cases coming in for reporting (and now as well).

But I guess it's pot luck if you get CJD or not … as a biologist I just know eating a prion is NOT a good thing. Not touched a beef product since 1987!

dB

Quaoar
KVRist
41 posts since 31 Oct, 2011

Post Wed May 15, 2019 5:15 am

Voted!

liqih
DASH Guy
7269 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 am

Voting done, looked like Surge helped my ear.
[note: my 2 is not a negative vote]
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

RichardSemper
KVRist
469 posts since 30 Oct, 2013 from Stoke On Trent

Post Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 am

Voted!
Great month! Surge seems to have inspired people to new heights. Will certainly be a 'go-to' synth for me in the future.

Seems to me this could be my first time at the bottom of the table :D :lol: :P Yet I am pleased to have got back to basics at last. Inspiration seems to be finally returning, have not felt that for the past couple of years.

@z.prime Sorry to hear of your recent loss, I too lost my Dad almost 2 years ago following 3 horrible years of rapid deterioration in his health. Hope you can come out of this feeling stronger :hug:

Good luck all :tu:

] Peter:H [
KVRian
738 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 am

Voted. Great tracks. Among all the great tracks that make OSC so special each month, it was good to listen to the two trance masters. Thumbs up you guys. Want to have more of it.

h.s.j.e.
KVRer
10 posts since 9 Jun, 2018

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:26 am

Voted! Lots of really impressive and inspiring entries this month. Made it difficult to differentiate.

Return to “Instruments”