Budget vst instruments for psy trance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

my afternoon workout fo the day

Hive (demo)= + 3 Icarus instances

https://soundcloud.com/tatsyn/test-psy-bass-n0-8810

so, sorry for the hive demo noise and needs some EQ, it's a tiny bit too heavy, but you can do it with most of the recent vst's imo
Last edited by tasty tatsyn on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lost my ears 1 hour ago.....
hive+icarus+kontakt

https://soundcloud.com/tatsyn/test-new-2-5-4-1

Computer Music magazine for DuneCM, BazilleCM and ThornCM. Dune is perfect for typical psytrance pluck bass, Bazille for FM leads and weird noises, squelchy farts etc and Thorn for more FM and cutting digital sounds and arps/seqs which it really excels at imo. The latest issue will do and it only costs a fiver. Serum is probably the most widely used vst in modern psytrance and is very affordable to rent to own for 9 bucks a month. ValhallaDSP plugins are very reasonably priced all year round and widely used in the scene. VintageVerb is my personal favourite because it sounds lush and it's easier to use than Room. Although not cheap, u-he Zebra2, is a great synth for psytrance and quite popular in the scene because of it's excellent value for money. It's capable of many different types of synthesis, VA, FM, filter FM, physical modelling plus it has modulatable FX, which is great for making weird sounds.

Since I make psy myself and it's my favourite synth, I'll give Hive a special mention. For me it's the perfect synth for psytrance, especially with the new wavetable engine and upcoming new features in v2. It's light on resources so you can run many instances in real time in busy projects. It's very quick and easy to program and imo a lot of the magic in psy is arrangement/layering and post processing, so its advantageous to make your sounds quickly to pass them onto the next stages. It's great for VA, which a lot of psy sounds are but the WT engine also allows for the creation of the gnarly, gritty timbres in modern styles and despite not having any FM/crossmod capabilities, you can get pretty close with good choices of tables and LFO pitch modulation. It has nice snappy and stable envelopes, with recursive modulation which combined with it's filters makes for lovely, round, punchy pluck basses. It's not the cheapest VA/WT synth out there, nor is the most powerful/feature rich, but imo it's the best in terms of features to workflow ratio; it's a very capable synth that is also very quick to work with and most of the other synths I have tend to be less balanced ie very powerful but cumbersome or very quick but limited.
Always Read the Manual!

fresh ears and if nothing else this next link serves to show the diference processing makes, the kick and bass might be a bit overtamed now but the source sounds didn't change, just the processing and mixing

https://soundcloud.com/tatsyn/psy-bass- ... ty-new-mix

Return to “Instruments”