39%
Falcon
24%
Omnisphere
37%

Total votes: 98

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going Omnisphere but I honestly think there isn't a real wrong answer here. Also, I have to say that the KVR folks here have been very helpful to the OP. I was expecting to grab some popcorn to read through the bashing of the limited choices and limited experience of the OP.

The reason I would suggest Omnisphere is that aside from the thousands, if not ten thousand plus presets (I lose track), there is a very powerful synth engine and a very powerful rompler combined into one. It the OP wants to force himself to learn synthesis then maybe this isn't the best pick because it is really easy to go down the preset rabbit hole. HALion really is amazing as are the other suggestions, but for someone who wants quick results in a fairly clear package, I find Omnisphere to be hard to beat on many different levels.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Can Falcon sound like analog like Diva?

For all in one purpose Avenger is unbeatable.

Zebra is the best sounding and most versatile Synth I've ever used.
The Upgrade to Zebra 3 will be free / very low price, quality of U-He plugins is just extremely brilliant.
For me it is THE BEST SYNTH in this universe.

Zebra HZ is awesome, and by having it, you will also have zebra, zebrify, and zebralette. That’s an awesome amount of stuff.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

you probably hate me right now... but I tested Rapid, Dune3 and Avenger.

I did like Avenger but the guy I tested Falcon on has the same setup and he says its buggy and I should wait till they make it more solid for mac.

And I really love how Dunes sound jumps right in your face and bits your tongue off, while Rapid its just nicely layed out, has samples and sounds awesome.

For my first synth iam leaning towards Rapid now...And then get me Zebra3 once it comes out. But iam still undecided. Just Rapid sounds so good but I hear it goes on Sale a couple of times so might as well wait now.

Or just get me Rapid and ZebraHz and call it a day.

Test everything, buy whatever you like and can actually use, there's no point in buying synth for the specs and the "sound", buy whatever inspires you to make sounds and music.

Igirl93 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 pm you probably hate me right now... but I tested Rapid, Dune3 and Avenger.

I did like Avenger but the guy I tested Falcon on has the same setup and he says its buggy and I should wait till they make it more solid for mac.

And I really love how Dunes sound jumps right in your face and bits your tongue off, while Rapid its just nicely layed out, has samples and sounds awesome.

For my first synth iam leaning towards Rapid now...And then get me Zebra3 once it comes out. But iam still undecided. Just Rapid sounds so good but I hear it goes on Sale a couple of times so might as well wait now.

To be honest, it is a very tough decision because so many good options out there. Also, the skills of the making music, sound design and producing are usually what missing in the first place not the tools really.

Anyway, IMO, either buy Rapid or Zebra (but not both!) because they are both can be "general purpose" synth. Also, it is really not about the size of the synth, sometimes limited synths (like Hive or Sylenth1) can click with you and be more useful than the big "all purpose" synths.

Like others said, just try and demo all you can. Now, that you have changed your mind (a little), then everyone can list his/her favourite synths :hihi: You can also read the "top synths" threads if you want more confusion :D

You should also keep in mind that there are dozen tutorials out there for zebra. I think only Serum has more ;)

EnGee wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm
Igirl93 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 pm you probably hate me right now... but I tested Rapid, Dune3 and Avenger.

Anyway, IMO, either buy Rapid or Zebra (but not both!) because they are both can be "general purpose" synth.
i find they sound different. Also Rapid has the Sample part covered.

Igirl93 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 pm I did like Avenger but the guy I tested Falcon on has the same setup and he says its buggy and I should wait till they make it more solid for mac.
He's not wrong about Avenger, it works great on Windows, almost everyone having issues is on Mac.

You can't really go wrong by getting Rapid now, I think it would be a great first 'the one' synth. They do maybe one or two sales a year (there would likely be one for Black Friday). If you don't have GAS I don't see the issue with paying full price and supporting the dev.

One thing with Rapid is there are less soundsets/expansions and tutorials for it (compared to Zebra or Serum etc), most of the soundsets are from Parawave themselves. Personally I like making my own patches, and you can watch tutorials for other synths and apply the principles you learn to Rapid.

Make sure to subscribe to u-he's mailing list because the sometimes send newsletter discounts (maybe once a year or two), by the time Zebra 3 comes out within the next few years you might be ready for a new synth :D (I wouldn't hold my breath for Zebra 3 coming out soon).

Z3's comin', hide your heart, girl
Z3's comin', hide your heart, girl
Girl, Z3's a-comin', you better hide
Girl, Z3's a-comin', you better hide

You better, better hide your heart
Z3's comin', better walk walk
But you'll never get away
No, you'll never get away
From the burnin' heartache
I heard from Urs Heckmann by the bay
Everywhere I go though,
Z3's a-comin'!
Z3's a-comin'!

I love Zebra’s MSEG. Makes modulation extremely easy and versatile. Not sure if the other synths have it; it’s been a while since I demo’d other since. I have ZebraHZ and like it for the new skin. Be warned, you need Zebra2 to use HZ. So itll be almost $300 for that. The good thing is, youll get Zebra 3 for free.

Each synth has it’s own unique workflow that lends itself to different sounds, despite each synth being able to create just about any sound. A good option is to get Zebra and Uhe’s other free synths, to keep Zebra company. Dont be fooled by the “free title.” Those free synths are beast. They dont have sampling, but Bitwigs sampler covers my wavetable and granular synth needs.

At the end of the day, you just need to demo the synths. I had a case of GAS and wanted a new synth. That died out as I quickly realized I preferred Uhe’s synths layout and what it was missing, was covered by my DAW’s instruments. Truth be told, Bitwigs synths are more than capable of handling everything.

Some may disagree, but Hip Hop and EDM really aren't Zebra's strengths. For that you would do even better with Hive if u-He is your thing.

Omnisphere is going to fulfill those genre needs much much easier, although for Hip Hop I'm sure you will also end up using a lot of samples which can be played in your DAW's sampler or audio track directly, no synth required. It also is a bit pricey. For that money you can get Komplete.

Too bad about Avenger on Mac, that would be my recommendation, although the packs are expensive.

Anyhow, years from now I guarantee you won't be using just one synth.

Wanting your first synth to be your only synth is not a great way to approach this IME, rather better to keep your mind open to the possibilities. Some things are made to be unique, to begin with. The Swiss Army Knife analogy is pretty apt.

Return to “Instruments”