Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRian
948 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm
Not as far as I can tell. I mean you can always try messing with the structure, since it's fully open, but it's not for the faint of heart. :)
Okay, no worries. I will try to see if I can add some "artificial" bass. Thanks! :)

Magnus101
KVRer
3 posts since 18 Feb, 2013

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:03 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 pm
Magnus101 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:54 pm
It is said that S8 i modelled after the Prophet-5 rev3, but in use it sounds like NI also have compensated for the bass/volume drop when you crank up the resonance on the S8 in a way that the original filter doesn't in the same way?
Character knob is quite important here. But there is some bass drop as you increase resonance, still.
But not a severe bass drop...
Last edited by Magnus101 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus101
KVRer
3 posts since 18 Feb, 2013

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 am

The bass/volume drop when raising resonace is something that isn’t talked about that often. It happens to genuine analog Synths too. The Minimoog, for example, had a ladder filter which lose a lot of bass when cranking up the resonance.
It is still known for its bass, though...(maybe best at no or low resonance?)

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
13508 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:29 am

Magnus101 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 am
The bass/volume drop when raising resonace is something that isn’t talked about that often.
I can think of at least one member who more than makes up for any perceived lack :hihi:

chk071
KVRAF
21594 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:34 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:29 am
Magnus101 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 am
The bass/volume drop when raising resonace is something that isn’t talked about that often.
I can think of at least one member who more than makes up for any perceived lack :hihi:
Or... at least... thinks he can. :P

davidka
KVRist
441 posts since 22 Dec, 2010

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 am

Ever since I bought it, I absolutely love Super 8's sound. I wish I could see more patches coming through updates, like for Massive X.

Do you know if there are any 3rd party presets for Super8 since its release?

User avatar
LoveEnigma18
KVRian
948 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:50 am

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 pm
EvilDragon wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm
Not as far as I can tell. I mean you can always try messing with the structure, since it's fully open, but it's not for the faint of heart. :)
Okay, no worries. I will try to see if I can add some "artificial" bass. Thanks! :)
Waves OneKnob Phatter (+ optionally MaxxBass). :o

v1o
KVRAF
1822 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 am

Who would choose Repro-5 over Super8 if they could only keep one?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

chk071
KVRAF
21594 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 am

v1o wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 am
Who would choose Repro-5 over Super8 if they could only keep one?
Who cares?

AnX
KVRAF
5250 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:49 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 am
v1o wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 am
Who would choose Repro-5 over Super8 if they could only keep one?
Who cares?
:clap:

User avatar
Sinisterbr
KVRist
161 posts since 11 Mar, 2010

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:51 am

v1o wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 am
Who would choose Repro-5 over Super8 if they could only keep one?
Not me... I always thought Repro sounded kinda cold and clinical. OTOH Super8 sounds kinda flat (I don't feel o lot of depth), but at least it's very vibrant and inspiring! Imho, of course.

v1o
KVRAF
1822 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:28 am

Sinisterbr wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:51 am
v1o wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 am
Who would choose Repro-5 over Super8 if they could only keep one?
Not me... I always thought Repro sounded kinda cold and clinical. OTOH Super8 sounds kinda flat (I don't feel o lot of depth), but at least it's very vibrant and inspiring! Imho, of course.
I agree with you 100%. If that's what a real Prophet 5 sounds like I would never get along with it. That is why I never bought Repro-5 and am still on the fence with Super 8 despite all the high praises.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o
KVRAF
1822 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:32 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 am
v1o wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 am
Who would choose Repro-5 over Super8 if they could only keep one?
Who cares?
Spire is the only synth you care about.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
2690 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Well Spire is a great synth 8)
Don't be a Sheep. :borg: | Opinions matters :evil:

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
18595 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm

v1o wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:28 am
If that's what a real Prophet 5 sounds like I would never get along with it.
It is, in fact, exactly how a rev3 Prophet-5 sounds, because that's what u-he modeled (incidentally, also what NI Pro-53 was based on, too).

Return to “Instruments”