FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE til JUNE 30

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSoundFactory MSoundFactory Sound Library

"Experience" often means stubbornness unfortunately. You know one synth, you know them all. I will not watch videos nor read any user manual since I have experience, etc... It's like saying knowing the Adapter pattern thus knowing all Design Patterns. So on so forth. I can see why some people might resent people "with experience" if this attitude is too common. It's like, at a certain age one can declare oneself a sage no matter what, some kind of automatic trigger like tapping with a little hammer on a knee.

That was an anthropologic interlude. Back to regular programming ... 8)

In all seriousness, Msoundfactory really can sound as analog as you like, is only a matter of learn how to use and set it up for that, and no, it doesn't need external samples for that, it can do it with its own internal synthesis.

But at the end of the day if someone decide to think negatively that is not possible, is just impossible for him and that mindset (with his motives, reasons and intentions) probably will not change that.

JunSev wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm In all seriousness, Msoundfactory really can sound as analog as you like, is only a matter of learn how to use and set it up for that, and no, it doesn't need external samples for that, it can do it with its own internal synthesis.
No it does not , because is just not capable of some stuff like audio rate filters , without exploding the crap out of them .
That 's what I mean with a good analog emulation ( amongst other things )
If you are happy with a few random detuned voices and call it analog , good for you .
I like MSF a lot , it's a real powerhouse ... but for analog sounding stuff I fire up TALmod or reaktor :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

On a side note , I was moaning about the non audio rate filters in msf , this is the reply of the developer

Have you actually heard about a software that would allow doing that and sounds good? :D Because I don't. One of the problems of the digital audio is that it is "extremely fast", so it actually does what you want (while HW doesn't it basically smoothens things out, because the components are just not that "fast"). So here you can also smoothen things out, but that's not what you want is it :). You know, with power comes responsibility. Saying "be carefull with the resonance control proves that these filters are not designed for audio rate modulation" is the same like saying "you cannot say be careful when driving a car, because that would mean the cars are not designed to be driven"

unquote -

He clearly never heard of u-he or cytomic or talmod , yet his filters can't even handle audio rate ..the effin explode :lol:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:48 pm On a side note , I was moaning about the non audio rate filters in msf , this is the reply of the developer

Have you actually heard about a software that would allow doing that and sounds good? :D Because I don't. One of the problems of the digital audio is that it is "extremely fast", so it actually does what you want (while HW doesn't it basically smoothens things out, because the components are just not that "fast"). So here you can also smoothen things out, but that's not what you want is it :). You know, with power comes responsibility. Saying "be carefull with the resonance control proves that these filters are not designed for audio rate modulation" is the same like saying "you cannot say be careful when driving a car, because that would mean the cars are not designed to be driven"

unquote -

He clearly never heard of u-he or cytomic or talmod , yet his filters can't even handle audio rate ..the effin explode :lol:
that's some serious business right there!
he quoted spider-man at you :o

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 pm No it does not , because is just not capable of some stuff like audio rate filters , without exploding the crap out of them .
I've asked in the Melda forum to provide an example of existing soft synth audio rate filters. I asked because it was said (you ?) that they're pretty good for pads and I like and use pads. It's actually the first thing I check out, out of a synth or sound set.

And so I've suggested a few synths amongst the ones I have. Let me expand to all u-he synths, IL: Harmor, Harmless, Sytrus, Ogun and Sakura, Synthmaster One and 2, Tone2 ElectraX, Icarus, and Ray Blaster, Rob Papen Blue2, Predator2, and Go2, Synplant, Fathom, Phonec2, Factory and Aparillo. If you have a patch for these synths that shows off this audio rate modulation, would you be kind enough to share it. It can be a patch of yours, a factory patch or part of a sound set. And if nothing's available amongst those synths, simply go ahead with a patch from any existing soft synth.

I'm curious about this and I like pads.

Regarding the analog qualities of MSF I will reiterate with MPowerSynth to start with: MPS never stuck on me. As if it had a teflon coating. Cold, thin, maybe for FX ? Even then, to thin. I say that as someone who spends time making music, not programming sounds. I modify patches to suit musical pieces and hence I like to understand how synths are working, but I do not create from scratch for serious matters. The sounds I create from scratch are for tests purposes only so far.

I find every synth has it's own unique approach so far. Like a Takamine guitar will have a character that a Martin of the same size and shape will not have, and vice-versa. At one point in time I will spend 1-3 weeks with a focus on one synth, going through the user guide from page to page and through videos, trying things.

Now with MSF I'm so far pleasantly surprised. The teflon coatiing is seemingly not there. It has some beef, some depth, some richness. Depending on which patch, of course. To say that MSF can sound like Repro-5 or Diva, that lush warmness of many patches, I wouldn't say so, so far. But I'm no expert on sounds. This said, digital synths have their uses - I like Go2 for what it is - and it's much better with digital synths that can extend into some 'beefyness'. I was recently surprised how a Go2 digital vocal pad can sneak its way at the exact right place in a mix while it sounded rather cold by itself. Context is very important.

Anyone got chips and drinks ? :D

[/thread]
[thread]
[/thread]

mevla wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:36 pm Anyone got chips and drinks ? :D
I've got muesli and chocolate soy milk :shrug:

Does this synth resynthesis samples? Or it's purely oscillator synthesis? (I can't find the info so far)

Neon Breath wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:40 pm Does this synth resynthesis samples? Or it's purely oscillator synthesis? (I can't find the info so far)
It wavetables samples but the resynthesis quality is average compared to e.g. Icarus or Halion.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:40 pm Does this synth resynthesis samples? Or it's purely oscillator synthesis? (I can't find the info so far)
It wavetables samples but the resynthesis quality is average compared to e.g. Icarus or Halion.
And you're probably the best person to answer this, as I know how interested you are into sample mangling and resynthesis. So no additive resynthesis then. Thanks Simon for the quick reply :tu: (you've guessed it, not interested :P )
Last edited by Neon Breath on Wed May 15, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 pm
Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm
And you're probably the best person to answer this, as I know how interested you are into sample mangling and resynthesis. So no additive resynthesis then. Thanks Simon for the quick reply :tu:
Afaik no, but it's only a Beta and many things could be added in the future, hopefully spectral synthesis but that's a tricky one.

Removed some stuff. If you must personally insult each other, please do it by PM so you don't ruin the thread with it. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Instruments”