FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
mevla
KVRAF
2211 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Post Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am

"Experience" often means stubbornness unfortunately. You know one synth, you know them all. I will not watch videos nor read any user manual since I have experience, etc... It's like saying knowing the Adapter pattern thus knowing all Design Patterns. So on so forth. I can see why some people might resent people "with experience" if this attitude is too common. It's like, at a certain age one can declare oneself a sage no matter what, some kind of automatic trigger like tapping with a little hammer on a knee.

That was an anthropologic interlude. Back to regular programming ... 8)

User avatar
JunSev
KVRist
446 posts since 14 Sep, 2017

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am

In all seriousness, Msoundfactory really can sound as analog as you like, is only a matter of learn how to use and set it up for that, and no, it doesn't need external samples for that, it can do it with its own internal synthesis.

But at the end of the day if someone decide to think negatively that is not possible, is just impossible for him and that mindset (with his motives, reasons and intentions) probably will not change that.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
1724 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 am

JunSev wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am
In all seriousness, Msoundfactory really can sound as analog as you like, is only a matter of learn how to use and set it up for that, and no, it doesn't need external samples for that, it can do it with its own internal synthesis.
No it does not , because is just not capable of some stuff like audio rate filters , without exploding the crap out of them .
That 's what I mean with a good analog emulation ( amongst other things )
If you are happy with a few random detuned voices and call it analog , good for you .
I like MSF a lot , it's a real powerhouse ... but for analog sounding stuff I fire up TALmod or reaktor :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
1724 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am

On a side note , I was moaning about the non audio rate filters in msf , this is the reply of the developer

quote

Have you actually heard about a software that would allow doing that and sounds good? :D Because I don't. One of the problems of the digital audio is that it is "extremely fast", so it actually does what you want (while HW doesn't it basically smoothens things out, because the components are just not that "fast"). So here you can also smoothen things out, but that's not what you want is it :). You know, with power comes responsibility. Saying "be carefull with the resonance control proves that these filters are not designed for audio rate modulation" is the same like saying "you cannot say be careful when driving a car, because that would mean the cars are not designed to be driven"

unquote -

He clearly never heard of u-he or cytomic or talmod , yet his filters can't even handle audio rate ..the effin explode :lol:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am
On a side note , I was moaning about the non audio rate filters in msf , this is the reply of the developer

quote

Have you actually heard about a software that would allow doing that and sounds good? :D Because I don't. One of the problems of the digital audio is that it is "extremely fast", so it actually does what you want (while HW doesn't it basically smoothens things out, because the components are just not that "fast"). So here you can also smoothen things out, but that's not what you want is it :). You know, with power comes responsibility. Saying "be carefull with the resonance control proves that these filters are not designed for audio rate modulation" is the same like saying "you cannot say be careful when driving a car, because that would mean the cars are not designed to be driven"

unquote -

He clearly never heard of u-he or cytomic or talmod , yet his filters can't even handle audio rate ..the effin explode :lol:
that's some serious business right there!
he quoted spider-man at you :o

mevla
KVRAF
2211 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 am
No it does not , because is just not capable of some stuff like audio rate filters , without exploding the crap out of them .
I've asked in the Melda forum to provide an example of existing soft synth audio rate filters. I asked because it was said (you ?) that they're pretty good for pads and I like and use pads. It's actually the first thing I check out, out of a synth or sound set.

And so I've suggested a few synths amongst the ones I have. Let me expand to all u-he synths, IL: Harmor, Harmless, Sytrus, Ogun and Sakura, Synthmaster One and 2, Tone2 ElectraX, Icarus, and Ray Blaster, Rob Papen Blue2, Predator2, and Go2, Synplant, Fathom, Phonec2, Factory and Aparillo. If you have a patch for these synths that shows off this audio rate modulation, would you be kind enough to share it. It can be a patch of yours, a factory patch or part of a sound set. And if nothing's available amongst those synths, simply go ahead with a patch from any existing soft synth.

I'm curious about this and I like pads.

mevla
KVRAF
2211 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 am

Regarding the analog qualities of MSF I will reiterate with MPowerSynth to start with: MPS never stuck on me. As if it had a teflon coating. Cold, thin, maybe for FX ? Even then, to thin. I say that as someone who spends time making music, not programming sounds. I modify patches to suit musical pieces and hence I like to understand how synths are working, but I do not create from scratch for serious matters. The sounds I create from scratch are for tests purposes only so far.

I find every synth has it's own unique approach so far. Like a Takamine guitar will have a character that a Martin of the same size and shape will not have, and vice-versa. At one point in time I will spend 1-3 weeks with a focus on one synth, going through the user guide from page to page and through videos, trying things.

Now with MSF I'm so far pleasantly surprised. The teflon coatiing is seemingly not there. It has some beef, some depth, some richness. Depending on which patch, of course. To say that MSF can sound like Repro-5 or Diva, that lush warmness of many patches, I wouldn't say so, so far. But I'm no expert on sounds. This said, digital synths have their uses - I like Go2 for what it is - and it's much better with digital synths that can extend into some 'beefyness'. I was recently surprised how a Go2 digital vocal pad can sneak its way at the exact right place in a mix while it sounded rather cold by itself. Context is very important.

mevla
KVRAF
2211 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 am

Anyone got chips and drinks ? :D

User avatar
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF
14550 posts since 12 Oct, 2008 from Here and there

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:37 am

[/thread]
[thread]
[/thread]

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
11838 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:39 am

mevla wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 am
Anyone got chips and drinks ? :D
I've got muesli and chocolate soy milk :shrug:

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3199 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am

Does this synth resynthesis samples? Or it's purely oscillator synthesis? (I can't find the info so far)
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

User avatar
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF
14550 posts since 12 Oct, 2008 from Here and there

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am
Does this synth resynthesis samples? Or it's purely oscillator synthesis? (I can't find the info so far)
It wavetables samples but the resynthesis quality is average compared to e.g. Icarus or Halion.

Neon Breath
KVRAF
3199 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 am

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 am
Neon Breath wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am
Does this synth resynthesis samples? Or it's purely oscillator synthesis? (I can't find the info so far)
It wavetables samples but the resynthesis quality is average compared to e.g. Icarus or Halion.
And you're probably the best person to answer this, as I know how interested you are into sample mangling and resynthesis. So no additive resynthesis then. Thanks Simon for the quick reply :tu: (you've guessed it, not interested :P )
Last edited by Neon Breath on Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

User avatar
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF
14550 posts since 12 Oct, 2008 from Here and there

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 am
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 am
Neon Breath wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 am
Does this synth resynthesis samples? Or it's purely oscillator synthesis? (I can't find the info so far)
It wavetables samples but the resynthesis quality is average compared to e.g. Icarus or Halion.
And you're probably the best person to answer this, as I know how interested you are into sample mangling and resynthesis. So no additive resynthesis then. Thanks Simon for the quick reply :tu:
Afaik no, but it's only a Beta and many things could be added in the future, hopefully spectral synthesis but that's a tricky one.

D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD
11822 posts since 21 Jun, 2008

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Removed some stuff. If you must personally insult each other, please do it by PM so you don't ruin the thread with it. Thanks.

Return to “Instruments”