FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
11838 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Thu May 16, 2019 3:51 am

mevla wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:00 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:39 am
I've got muesli and chocolate soy milk :shrug:
Not bad, but I prefer the analog qualities of plain soy milk. IMHO it modulates much better the inherent sweet frequencies of the delicate overtones of slightly cooked soya beans as it harmoniously resonates through the diffusing medium that water is. :wink:
Firstly: :hihi: Secondly: It actually is plain soy milk (I use it in my coffee), but I add chocolate powder to it when I have it with cereal. I don't mind it plain, but y'know...chocolate! :shrug:

Gonna start making my own hemp milk, soon. Much more fun than this synth malarky :P

User avatar
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF
14550 posts since 12 Oct, 2008 from Here and there

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 3:52 am

Use a Mixer module with input steal active in case you don't want the dry osc levels to be audible.

DarkStar
KVRAF
8910 posts since 2 Sep, 2003 from Surrey, UK

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 am

wagtunes wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 am
I asked in the other thread but I'll ask here. In the matrix, I have 3 rows of oscillators. I have a filter in the 2nd row. How do I feed rows 1 and 3 into row 2. I have tried everything I can think of. There isn't even a help icon for that section.
See other thread ;)
Last edited by DarkStar on Thu May 16, 2019 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15553 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 3:57 am

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:52 am
Use a Mixer module with input steal active in case you don't want the dry osc levels to be audible.
Thanks Simon. It appears that without the mixer you can only steal one channel, not multiples.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
1724 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:13 am

By using the merger module , right click the module for the second input
You need 2 merger modules
Or the mixer module ( has 6 inputs )
Image
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
1724 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am

Kwurqx wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 am
On audiorate filter modulation. I assume cutoff modulation.

All synths that can modulate the filter cutoff frequency at rates above some 20 Hz can do this. But I guess what is meant is....at some musically tuned audiorate, with a "regular" oscillator as a modulation source. This is not a very common feature in synths (hard- or software).

Talking about vst instruments
Simple filters can not be audio rate modulated because the poles become unstable, go hayware and explode .
I think melda uses simple biquad filters , altough I am not sure
There are numerous examples of filters that can not do this and just sound bad , but also numerous examples of synths that can do it and sound really good .
I can't understand why people keep defending this and come up with strawman arguments like : "show us some real life musical examples ''
The filters in MSF are just not capable of doing that in a convincing way .
What bothers me the most is that the developer states that he has NOT yet heard of a convincing audio rate filter in software .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

mevla
KVRAF
2211 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am
There are numerous examples of filters that can not do this and just sound bad , but also numerous examples of synths that can do it and sound really good.
As there are guitarists who can use phasers and sound not-so-good.

I found over the time so far, that sounds by themselves do not mean as much as sounds in context. I was surprised to discover that sounds that are not sounding so good do sound very good when in context.

I also found that really good sounding sounds are very much demanding at the mixing stage, like pulling the blanket on their side. There's a need to make way in the mix for all those nice sounding bits of a rich sound that sounds so good when played on its own. In other words, they are so rich that they do not blend with common sounds so well.
gentleclockdivider wrote: I can't understand why people keep defending this and come up with strawman arguments like : "show us some real life musical examples ''
Not sure what your "this" refers to exactly in the text, although as far as I'm concerned, as one who has asked for an example, the understanding is rather simple: learning. Learning and trying to leverage the forum to ask for pointers. Fortunately, someone sent me an example in PM. In this exchange here, I am not sure if it is proper to name the person, unfortunately.

Speaking of examples, what Exponent1 has asked for here, are examples of your music. You have finally replied with other's music. If there are copyright issues that prevents showing music you have created, just say so, no problem. Or perhaps you are a well-known sound designer that do not want to be associated with this thread.

Otherwise I think I would have learned from hearing your material.

User avatar
JunSev
KVRist
446 posts since 14 Sep, 2017

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:50 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am
Kwurqx wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 am
On audiorate filter modulation. I assume cutoff modulation.

All synths that can modulate the filter cutoff frequency at rates above some 20 Hz can do this. But I guess what is meant is....at some musically tuned audiorate, with a "regular" oscillator as a modulation source. This is not a very common feature in synths (hard- or software).

Talking about vst instruments
Simple filters can not be audio rate modulated because the poles become unstable, go hayware and explode .
I think melda uses simple biquad filters , altough I am not sure
There are numerous examples of filters that can not do this and just sound bad , but also numerous examples of synths that can do it and sound really good .
I can't understand why people keep defending this and come up with strawman arguments like : "show us some real life musical examples ''
The filters in MSF are just not capable of doing that in a convincing way .
What bothers me the most is that the developer states that he has NOT yet heard of a convincing audio rate filter in software .
And what is your goal with all of this? to immediately jump and say that MSoundfactory doesn't sound good, just thin and cold as previously you did?

The missing of a feature is not the end of all and is not the final conclusion, it might be possible MSF doesn't do all we want, but it also has points that surpass anything currently available, and this is just the Beta.

If I were the developer I wouldn't give you hopes of changes in that area neither, because you are making it looks more like someone seeking an opportunity to say something bad about the synth (which is just in Beta state).

mevla
KVRAF
2211 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 am

And moreover, apart from the beta stage, it is stated clearly on the product page that MSoundFactory will most likely be a never-ending project.

RobinWood
KVRist
33 posts since 21 May, 2018

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 am

RobinWood wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm
So I demoed it some time and I got some impressions and questions:

- installer gave AV warning as usual, still has these ugly shades of green and it likes to always install both 32 & 64bit
- loading the supersaw device take 10 seconds and everything freezes during that time
- supersaw devices uses 13% cpu... bloody hell
- loaded kick factory device, locked volume and pitch in the globals tab, switched through kick factory presets, values changed - what's the purpose of the lock then?
- Is there no horizontal scrolling? Loaded the unison in the generator (which looked really distorted similar to the FM) and in it a oscillator which was barely visible on the edge. Vertical scroll bar yes, but horizontally no. Couldn't use it.
- Couldn't find MPowerSynth in the generators.
- Do I have to draw each harmonic individual in the additive module? And modulating also separate?
- Where is the global mod matrix to see what is modulating? Can't expect a user to step through each module until they find it.
- After I finally found the Arp, it is running out of sync and triggers more or less notes randomly but never consistent
- Is there an Arp per OSC?
any1?

User avatar
exponent1
KVRist
153 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 5:03 am

wagtunes wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 am
I asked in the other thread but I'll ask here. In the matrix, I have 3 rows of oscillators. I have a filter in the 2nd row. How do I feed rows 1 and 3 into row 2. I have tried everything I can think of. There isn't even a help icon for that section.
You're talking about the matrix in the generator tab I suppose. There's a merge and mixer module which can be used to merge signals across columns. Have you already tried this?
I believe it's demonstrated in some videos by David and Chandler. I'll try it once I get back from work and post my findings.

Edit: Seems this has already been answered.
Last edited by exponent1 on Thu May 16, 2019 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

mevla
KVRAF
2211 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 am

RobinWood wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 am
any1?
Did you ask in the Melda forum ?

RobinWood
KVRist
33 posts since 21 May, 2018

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 am

mevla wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 am
RobinWood wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 am
any1?
Did you ask in the Melda forum ?
No. Voijtech wrote he doesn't follow the MSF threads created there because they're too much & confusing. I thought the smart people in here could point me into right directions instead of bashing feature requests and criticism :wink:

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
1724 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 5:12 am

JunSev wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:50 am
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am
Kwurqx wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 am
On audiorate filter modulation. I assume cutoff modulation.

All synths that can modulate the filter cutoff frequency at rates above some 20 Hz can do this. But I guess what is meant is....at some musically tuned audiorate, with a "regular" oscillator as a modulation source. This is not a very common feature in synths (hard- or software).

Talking about vst instruments
Simple filters can not be audio rate modulated because the poles become unstable, go hayware and explode .
I think melda uses simple biquad filters , altough I am not sure
There are numerous examples of filters that can not do this and just sound bad , but also numerous examples of synths that can do it and sound really good .
I can't understand why people keep defending this and come up with strawman arguments like : "show us some real life musical examples ''
The filters in MSF are just not capable of doing that in a convincing way .
What bothers me the most is that the developer states that he has NOT yet heard of a convincing audio rate filter in software .
And what is your goal with all of this? to immediately jump and say that MSoundfactory doesn't sound good, just thin and cold as previously you did?

You interpret how you see fit .
I never said MSF did not sound good , I pointed out where it falls short .
Can msf sound analog like ?
Sure, with some clever detuning etc ...but so does my nord modular and I don't consider it a pinnacle of analog modelling either , nevertheless a great synth that is still use since it's release ( 1998), and that's because of it's flexibility ( and audio rate filter ;)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
JunSev
KVRist
446 posts since 14 Sep, 2017

Re: FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE NOW

Post Thu May 16, 2019 5:14 am

RobinWood wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 am
mevla wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 am
RobinWood wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 am
any1?
Did you ask in the Melda forum ?
No. Voijtech wrote he doesn't follow the MSF threads created there because they're too much & confusing. I thought the smart people in here could point me into right directions instead of bashing feature requests and criticism :wink:
He said something about a recent thread about feature request, maybe he felt overwhelmed about that one, but you can ask and create any thread if you have some question or request there.

Just keep in mind that despite he will try his best, Melda can't do everything we want and might be something direct about these things. Some people is not used to that and is a big reason why they don't like him.

Return to “Instruments”