Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Acid Mitch
KVRAF
1926 posts since 5 Oct, 2005

Post Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 4:24 am


but of course, only a massive queen fan would know how guitar tones work...
You must be big enough by now after all that popcorn.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 4:34 am

:hihi:

User avatar
an-electric-heart
KVRAF
1714 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 am

I was talking about this here a couple of days ago. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, yet still use vsti guitars on my records. I write guitar parts on a guitar, then program those parts. I do it this way for a few reasons; You've instantly got a perfect take, you can move notes (or even change keys) later on, using samples recorded in ideal conditions you've instantly got a great sound.
I'll also add; I too am looking forward to Modo guitars as well, Modo bass is fantastic, it's made all the kontakt libraries I was previously using obsolete, it'll do the same for guitar samples I reckon... I do think it's safe to assume it's coming at some stage.
(this comment was going to be a reply, but I'll make it a general comment)

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5599 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 4:48 am

an-electric-heart wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 am
I was talking about this here a couple of days ago. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, yet still use vsti guitars on my records. I write guitar parts on a guitar, then program those parts. I do it this way for a few reasons; You've instantly got a perfect take, you can move notes (or even change keys) later on, using samples recorded in ideal conditions you've instantly got a great sound.
I'll also add; I too am looking forward to Modo guitars as well, Modo bass is fantastic, it's made all the kontakt libraries I was previously using obsolete, it'll do the same for guitar samples I reckon... I do think it's safe to assume it's coming at some stage.
(this comment was going to be a reply, but I'll make it a general comment)
Hmmm..I think you can get away with electrics to a large extent, and even picked acoustics to some degree. Strummed acoustics always sound like arse though. Will be interested to see if IK can do any better.

User avatar
an-electric-heart
KVRAF
1714 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 am

donkey tugger wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 4:48 am
an-electric-heart wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 am
I was talking about this here a couple of days ago. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, yet still use vsti guitars on my records. I write guitar parts on a guitar, then program those parts. I do it this way for a few reasons; You've instantly got a perfect take, you can move notes (or even change keys) later on, using samples recorded in ideal conditions you've instantly got a great sound.
I'll also add; I too am looking forward to Modo guitars as well, Modo bass is fantastic, it's made all the kontakt libraries I was previously using obsolete, it'll do the same for guitar samples I reckon... I do think it's safe to assume it's coming at some stage.
(this comment was going to be a reply, but I'll make it a general comment)
Hmmm..I think you can get away with electrics to a large extent, and even picked acoustics to some degree. Strummed acoustics always sound like arse though. Will be interested to see if IK can do any better.
With the acoustic guitar Kontakt instruments I use, the only thing that bothers me is that the noise effects are good, and add to the realness, yet are normally just completely random. For example I might make a picking part that is just picking up and down an open chord, yet there'll still be the little gliss noises implying that the hand is moving. So little things like that are a give away, but you'd need a pretty keen ear to pick it.
In my song from earlier you spotted Strummed Acoustic. I quite like Strummed Acoustic, but yes, I'd normally like hide it in with other instruments (using it like a pad, rather than a main instrument), mostly because the odd chord change doesn't sound too flash.

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5599 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 5:33 am

an-electric-heart wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 am
donkey tugger wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 4:48 am
an-electric-heart wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 am
I was talking about this here a couple of days ago. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, yet still use vsti guitars on my records. I write guitar parts on a guitar, then program those parts. I do it this way for a few reasons; You've instantly got a perfect take, you can move notes (or even change keys) later on, using samples recorded in ideal conditions you've instantly got a great sound.
I'll also add; I too am looking forward to Modo guitars as well, Modo bass is fantastic, it's made all the kontakt libraries I was previously using obsolete, it'll do the same for guitar samples I reckon... I do think it's safe to assume it's coming at some stage.
(this comment was going to be a reply, but I'll make it a general comment)
Hmmm..I think you can get away with electrics to a large extent, and even picked acoustics to some degree. Strummed acoustics always sound like arse though. Will be interested to see if IK can do any better.
With the acoustic guitar Kontakt instruments I use, the only thing that bothers me is that the noise effects are good, and add to the realness, yet are normally just completely random. For example I might make a picking part that is just picking up and down an open chord, yet there'll still be the little gliss noises implying that the hand is moving. So little things like that are a give away, but you'd need a pretty keen ear to pick it.
In my song from earlier you spotted Strummed Acoustic. I quite like Strummed Acoustic, but yes, I'd normally like hide it in with other instruments (using it like a pad, rather than a main instrument), mostly because the odd chord change doesn't sound too flash.
For stuff like that, where the acoustic isn't integral to the song, it's not so bad (noticeable, but probably only if you're attuned to these things), but for anything where the strummed acoustic takes a prominent role the VST stuff I've heard so far can't cut it.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 am

yeah as part of a bigger mix it's less obvious, stripped bare it's like nails on chalk boards :o

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6557 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 6:35 am

If anyone from IK were to actually read this thread, which I'm sure they won't, I'd want to say please make sure to include mpe, or at the very least multi-channel midi functionality.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

User avatar
Bombadil
KVRAF
3429 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 am
yeah as part of a bigger mix it's less obvious, stripped bare it's like nails on chalk boards :o
And that is the likeliest place for the illusion of a VI to break down.
β€œWe're an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune”
Dennis

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 am

Bombadil wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 am
vurt wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 am
yeah as part of a bigger mix it's less obvious, stripped bare it's like nails on chalk boards :o
And that is the likeliest place for the illusion of a VI to break down.
or when you try to use a slide on it...

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15553 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 10:45 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 4:24 am
indeed, a lot of his tone comes from his pick too, i believe he uses old pennies? or did, probably has them made now, but the stiffness/flexibility of a pick creates the attack, which in turn allows for the decay and sustain to work different and so effect the tone.

but of course, only a massive queen fan would know how guitar tones work...
<------Massive Queen Fan

shonky
KVRian
876 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 3:45 pm


User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15553 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm

shonky wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 3:45 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZtWK6PR1o

Pretty close I think, YMMV
Sorry, but thanks for playing.

(12 minutes of my life I'll never get back)

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Mon May 13, 2019 3:27 am

shonky wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 3:45 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZtWK6PR1o

Pretty close I think, YMMV
ah the classic "brain may" video :hihi:

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 am

wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm
shonky wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 3:45 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZtWK6PR1o

Pretty close I think, YMMV
Sorry, but thanks for playing.

(12 minutes of my life I'll never get back)
where for you is this failing?
if you can explain then we can easily get to the bottom of this :)

Return to β€œInstruments”