Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
15564 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon May 13, 2019 3:50 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 am
wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 3:57 pm
shonky wrote: ↑
Sun May 12, 2019 3:45 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZtWK6PR1o

Pretty close I think, YMMV
Sorry, but thanks for playing.

(12 minutes of my life I'll never get back)
where for you is this failing?
if you can explain then we can easily get to the bottom of this :)
Listen to Queen day after day for countless years to the point where you know every note, every word, every lick by heart.

There is no way to describe when a sound is just wrong.

vurt
addled muppet weed
44377 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

Post Mon May 13, 2019 3:59 am

you know that's bs dont you?
it's kind of the basics of sound design, knowing what's missing from the sound you have, to become the sound you want.

so we have a reasonably close example, which for most uses would be ok in a mix, there must be something in the sound that is missing?

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 am

Mon May 13, 2019 3:59 am
you know that's bs dont you?
it's kind of the basics of sound design, knowing what's missing from the sound you have, to become the sound you want.

so we have a reasonably close example, which for most uses would be ok in a mix, there must be something in the sound that is missing?
No, it's not BS. I don't know how to describe what I'm not hearing in the sound he created. If that makes me stupid, fine, I'm stupid. I just don't know how to describe it. So shoot me.

Sheesh.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Mon May 13, 2019 4:06 am

no one said you where stupid. :shrug:

pardon me for trying to help...

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon May 13, 2019 4:38 am

Mon May 13, 2019 4:06 am
no one said you where stupid. :shrug:

pardon me for trying to help...
How is calling something BS helping? That's the kind of crap I'd expect from the rest of this forum. Not you. But oh well, guess I was wrong.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon May 13, 2019 5:21 am

Let me try to explain why I have so much trouble describing sound.

Let's take 2 things that sound nothing like each other, a sine wave and a sawtooth wave. Describing the difference, this is the best I can do.

Sine wave is softer with less harmonics and a sawtooth wave is louder with more harmonics.

Pretty piss poor description since that can describe so many other sound waves.

I'm just terrible with trying to describe things. If you put me in front of a sketch artist trying to describe a suspect, forget it, he'd get nowhere.

Describing things is not a skill I have at all. At least not a good one. I guess people who can easily describe things can't understand somebody not being able to do that. Oh well, nothing I can do about that. I just have to accept that they don't understand. I can't tell you the difference between Brian May's guitar and the simulation. They just sound different and the simulation sounds wrong to me.

Sorry, best I can do.

Ryan_IK
KVRist
51 posts since 11 Feb, 2015 from Sunrise, FL

Post Mon May 13, 2019 11:17 am

Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 am
How about a Brian May Red Special?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K_7TRhIQQk

It boggles my mind that so far NONE of the companies that make virtual guitars have anything where you can control pickup switches, let alone anything like this.

Come on IK. This is your chance to blow everything out of the water that currently exists.
Thanks for the interest and shout out :D We are glad you think of IK when you think of physical modelling.

While I don't have any concrete info for you on the topic, I can say we have some stuff in the works that I think everyone in this thread would find interesting! :wink:

In the meantime, I did want to point out that SampleTank 4 has some great guitar sounds. I know it's a bit OT since it's not physically modeled, but I figured I'd chime in and mention it. With some tweaking you can get some similar nuances to the "Brian May" sound.

If you want to hear some of the SampleTank 4 guitar sounds, check out the audio demos here.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Check out the new UNO Synth Tutorial Series here!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

benjamind
KVRian
1075 posts since 4 Aug, 2004 from Ain't tellin' ya...

Post Mon May 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Ryan_IK wrote: ↑
Mon May 13, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks for the interest and shout out :D We are glad you think of IK when you think of physical modelling.

While I don't have any concrete info for you on the topic, I can say we have some stuff in the works that I think everyone in this thread would find interesting! :wink:

In the meantime, I did want to point out that SampleTank 4 has some great guitar sounds. I know it's a bit OT since it's not physically modeled, but I figured I'd chime in and mention it. With some tweaking you can get some similar nuances to the "Brian May" sound.

If you want to hear some of the SampleTank 4 guitar sounds, check out the audio demos here.
No concrete info...probably means no release this year :(

And Sampletank while it is pretty good I still won't bother with samples for guitar. They just will never ever do justice to something as complex and harmonically rich as a guitar. Sorry.

Bring us MODO Guitars and that will really shut us all up. Hopefully you can do it this year.

"No concrete info"...this was the same line as last year. Hopefully something has changed since then but somehow I just can't see it.

Maybe you could drop a hint. It's not like you even have any competitors in this market.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm

benjamind wrote: ↑
Mon May 13, 2019 2:18 pm
Ryan_IK wrote: ↑
Mon May 13, 2019 11:17 am

No concrete info...probably means no release this year :(

And Sampletank while it is pretty good I still won't bother with samples for guitar. They just will never ever do justice to something as complex and harmonically rich as a guitar. Sorry.

Bring us MODO Guitars and that will really shut us all up. Hopefully you can do it this year.

"No concrete info"...this was the same line as last year. Hopefully something has changed since then but somehow I just can't see it.

Maybe you could drop a hint. It's not like you even have any competitors in this market.
I think he already has dropped the hint. MODO Guitar isn't coming for whatever reason. Maybe it's too hard. I don't know. And I agree, I have no interest in sampled guitars and I'm certainly not going to buy Sampletank for just one sound.

Kind of like Flexion. I was so hoping that would be released someday but it's obvious after 5 years it's not happening either.

Reefius
KVRian
605 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Post Tue May 14, 2019 4:18 am

Typical IK reply, just a bunch of marketing BS. Do people actually believe all that crap?

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am

Mon May 13, 2019 5:21 am
Let me try to explain why I have so much trouble describing sound.

Let's take 2 things that sound nothing like each other, a sine wave and a sawtooth wave. Describing the difference, this is the best I can do.

Sine wave is softer with less harmonics and a sawtooth wave is louder with more harmonics.

Pretty piss poor description since that can describe so many other sound waves.

I'm just terrible with trying to describe things. If you put me in front of a sketch artist trying to describe a suspect, forget it, he'd get nowhere.

Describing things is not a skill I have at all. At least not a good one. I guess people who can easily describe things can't understand somebody not being able to do that. Oh well, nothing I can do about that. I just have to accept that they don't understand. I can't tell you the difference between Brian May's guitar and the simulation. They just sound different and the simulation sounds wrong to me.

Sorry, best I can do.
that's different to it cant be done. obviously im not going to call a personal feeling bs.
and again, its not about stupidity or anything.

anyway...
after listening to a bit of that video again on the monitors, one thing im noticing that's missing is that chorus effect may gets by double tracking everything (well the lead lines).
i saw one of those classic albums type shows about either we will rock you or we are the champions, cant remember which, but they where talking with the engineer who showed that was a big part of how he gets that tone that cuts through.

where others use it for stereo width, his tend to be mixed together.
the slight differences in timing of vibrations gives it a thicker sound.

one way to achieve this is with a very short delay, single repeat, 50%wet dry (roughly or to taste)
or of course, copy to a second track and move along by milliseconds.

try that with something similar to the strat set up in the video and youll get closer to his studio tone.

twitewhite
KVRist
68 posts since 8 Mar, 2018

Post Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 am

Burillo wrote: ↑
Fri May 10, 2019 7:48 am
Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 am
Come on IK. This is your chance to blow everything out of the water that currently exists.
they will miss it, as per usual.
I hated IK too until MODO Bass, which completely changed my mind. If MODO guitar is anywhere close to as good, it will be a game-changer.

Aloysius
KVRAF
23445 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from the Land of Soy

Post Tue May 14, 2019 10:34 am

twitewhite wrote: ↑
Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 am

I hated IK too until MODO Bass, which completely changed my mind. If MODO guitar is anywhere close to as good, it will be a underpants-changer.
:o
Broccoli is murder.

glokraw
KVRAF
6813 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue May 14, 2019 11:45 am

Reefius wrote: ↑
Tue May 14, 2019 4:18 am
Typical IK reply, just a bunch of marketing BS. Do people actually believe all that crap?
I verify a company's marketing by using whatever demos or
free versions are available to use. IK have done very well
with their Custom Shops, and multiple levels of content,
so customers have a good range of options to start with,
and can add more alacart, or upgrade, as desired.

If I were IK, working on a new MODO product, leaking info
about it would be a fireable offense,
assuming the employee actually escaped :hyper: :-o :hyper:

glokraw
KVRAF
6813 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 am

Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am

anyway...
after listening to a bit of that video again on the monitors, one thing im noticing that's missing is that chorus effect may gets by double tracking everything (well the lead lines).
i saw one of those classic albums type shows about either we will rock you or we are the champions, cant remember which, but they where talking with the engineer who showed that was a big part of how he gets that tone that cuts through.

where others use it for stereo width, his tend to be mixed together.
the slight differences in timing of vibrations gives it a thicker sound.

one way to achieve this is with a very short delay, single repeat, 50%wet dry (roughly or to taste)
or of course, copy to a second track and move along by milliseconds.

try that with something similar to the strat set up in the video and youll get closer to his studio tone.
IK's Amplitube FullTone Collection is great for such chorus and delay jobs,
from subtle cleans, to utter mayhem :dog: :scared:

Return to β€œInstruments”