Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
2766 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm
Go to the Byome thread in the Effects forum and download the latest beta. It's very stable and fixes lots of issues.
So why isn't it just released via official channels? I can't be expected to search forum posts to find a version of plugin THAT I PAID FOR that works... :dog:
Bitwig 3 // Reason 10 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6649 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:06 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:58 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm
Go to the Byome thread in the Effects forum and download the latest beta. It's very stable and fixes lots of issues.
So why isn't it just released via official channels? I can't be expected to search forum posts to find a version of plugin THAT I PAID FOR that works... :dog:
Hey, I don't think Michael/UA are the problem and you're not going to get me to defend Plugin Alliance.

steff3
KVRian
579 posts since 7 Oct, 2006

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm
steff3 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm
“Also hoping for a no brainer loyalty discount, I own all UA products accept Zip”

Loyalty? Discount? Byome owners should get it for free + a functional version of Byome ....
Go to the Byome thread in the Effects forum and download the latest beta. It's very stable and fixes lots of issues.
I will not search for that ... PA (with whom they work together) sends hundreds of emails per week ... if they (or UA) want to provide me with a working plugin .... they can tell me ....
maybe they (UA) should post less and communicate better ...

If their customers are not valuable enough to get them working software .... well .... I waited now for .... how long? To leave software close to unusable for a year is not unfiltered - it is unprofessional ....

And no, no other plugin by PA is as buggy ....

Razzia
KVRist
320 posts since 21 May, 2016

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm

SGTVW wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:52 pm
yellowmix wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:41 pm
PieBerger wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am
Also hoping for a no brainer loyalty discount, I own all UA products accept Zip :)
I think the marketing copy on PA does it a disservice.
More like PA does everything UA a disservice.
How so? I've seen that it has all sorts of pseudo sidechain filters based on unusual properties to trigger the gain reduction - that's pretty cool, but aside from that idk why I'd want to modulate a compressor, which as far as i can tell is what distinguishes it from other digital/clean compressors like Pro-C

I've an open mind. Sell me on zip :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6649 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:59 pm

steff3 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:34 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:12 pm
steff3 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:59 pm
“Also hoping for a no brainer loyalty discount, I own all UA products accept Zip”

Loyalty? Discount? Byome owners should get it for free + a functional version of Byome ....
Go to the Byome thread in the Effects forum and download the latest beta. It's very stable and fixes lots of issues.
I will not search for that ... PA (with whom they work together) sends hundreds of emails per week ... if they (or UA) want to provide me with a working plugin .... they can tell me ....
maybe they (UA) should post less and communicate better ...

If their customers are not valuable enough to get them working software .... well .... I waited now for .... how long? To leave software close to unusable for a year is not unfiltered - it is unprofessional ....

And no, no other plugin by PA is as buggy ....
Ok, then don't have a working plug-in. No skin off my ass.

You clearly have time to post here, so you could be doing yourself a favor by doing the logical thing and locating the beta so you have a working plug-in, but if you'd rather cut off your nose to spite your face, I certainly won't stop you.

Plugin Alliance seems to have their own schedule when it comes to updates and they're not fast about it. Took like a year and a half to fix the metering in the SSL consoles and they didn't even bother to fix the input gain/meter relationship. UA has kindly posted updates to get these out to the customers as soon as possible. Seemingly as an end-around PA's QA/update process. I think it sucks too, but I'm glad there's a way to get the newer versions, so I did and now everything is fine. But again, if you'd rather wait a few more months instead of taking 3 minutes to find the beta, that's your choice at this point.

Also, these won't even be the final versions. Michael wants to add the Wide Mode from Lion and that hasn't even gone to beta on Byome and Triad. So who knows how far away an official update would be?

yellowmix
KVRian
1244 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Razzia wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm
SGTVW wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:52 pm
yellowmix wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I think the marketing copy on PA does it a disservice.
More like PA does everything UA a disservice.
How so? I've seen that it has all sorts of pseudo sidechain filters based on unusual properties to trigger the gain reduction - that's pretty cool, but aside from that idk why I'd want to modulate a compressor, which as far as i can tell is what distinguishes it from other digital/clean compressors like Pro-C

I've an open mind. Sell me on zip :)
I assume this was directed at me.

Like I said, it fixes problems like nothing else. The copy says as much, Brightness/Darkness mode can help with adjusting crest factor in bass heavy tracks; the use cases are described well enough. But then it wraps it in these cringy analogies like it's written by an eight-year old boy saying it's the "Lamborghini" of compressors that leaves other compressors "in the dust".

Look, nothing is the Lamborghini of compressors, these are tools that can do specific jobs with specific workflows perhaps as good as or better than tools meant to do something else. That Zip can address these things when other compressors aren't even trying to shouldn't be an opportunity for PA writers to puff their chests. The technical abilities and use cases speak for themselves.

PieBerger
KVRist
464 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:13 pm

I'm with FBE on this one. You could argue about what should be until the cows come home, but for now you have to deal with what is and that is UA circumventing PA's slow as hell update channel and supporting it's customer base with beta installers on this here forum. Stop looking for problems and look for solutions instead, it's a much better way to live :wink:

As far loyalty discount goes, I bought BYOME for 74 bucks, after my monthly voucher, due to owning licenses qualifying for discount and I bought TRIAD for 24 bucks after voucher, as an existing BYOME license owner. It's not unreasonable to anticipate qualifying for a discounted price on LION on release.
Always Read the Manual!

Razzia
KVRist
320 posts since 21 May, 2016

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 am

yellowmix wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm
Razzia wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm
SGTVW wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:52 pm
yellowmix wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I think the marketing copy on PA does it a disservice.
More like PA does everything UA a disservice.
How so? I've seen that it has all sorts of pseudo sidechain filters based on unusual properties to trigger the gain reduction - that's pretty cool, but aside from that idk why I'd want to modulate a compressor, which as far as i can tell is what distinguishes it from other digital/clean compressors like Pro-C

I've an open mind. Sell me on zip :)
I assume this was directed at me.

Like I said, it fixes problems like nothing else. The copy says as much, Brightness/Darkness mode can help with adjusting crest factor in bass heavy tracks; the use cases are described well enough. But then it wraps it in these cringy analogies like it's written by an eight-year old boy saying it's the "Lamborghini" of compressors that leaves other compressors "in the dust".

Look, nothing is the Lamborghini of compressors, these are tools that can do specific jobs with specific workflows perhaps as good as or better than tools meant to do something else. That Zip can address these things when other compressors aren't even trying to shouldn't be an opportunity for PA writers to puff their chests. The technical abilities and use cases speak for themselves.
oops. yeah that was meant for you.

lol, fair point about the lamborghini bit. Although now I'm feeling a little inadequate since the vertigo VSC-2 i've been using a lot is only the mercedes of compressors. Maybe I should go and buy a compressor plugin :D

So those alternate compression modes are really useful huh? Good to know. Maybe I'll get around to demoing it after all.

jimerjamas
KVRer
11 posts since 28 Jan, 2008

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 am

thelizard wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm
Native Instruments blessed our current build for NKS compatibility, so release is very close. Less than two weeks.
Absolute awesome news, congrats! Looking forward to it! ::))

EnderWillSaveUs
KVRist
66 posts since 29 Apr, 2013

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am

thelizard wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm
Native Instruments blessed our current build for NKS compatibility, so release is very close. Less than two weeks.
So is it getting released this week?

thelizard
KVRian
1244 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:42 am

Yep! Within the next seven days.

Rastkovic
KVRist
83 posts since 26 Jul, 2018 from North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 am

NI is not the best company these days.... :party:
::keep calm, and make great sounds

PieBerger
KVRist
464 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:08 pm

thelizard wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:42 am
Yep! Within the next seven days.
:party:
Always Read the Manual!

cron
KVRAF
3221 posts since 27 Dec, 2002 from North East England

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:28 pm

yellowmix wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 pm
Razzia wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:54 pm
SGTVW wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:52 pm
yellowmix wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I think the marketing copy on PA does it a disservice.
More like PA does everything UA a disservice.
How so? I've seen that it has all sorts of pseudo sidechain filters based on unusual properties to trigger the gain reduction - that's pretty cool, but aside from that idk why I'd want to modulate a compressor, which as far as i can tell is what distinguishes it from other digital/clean compressors like Pro-C

I've an open mind. Sell me on zip :)
I assume this was directed at me.

Like I said, it fixes problems like nothing else...
It's really difficult to sell Zip as a set of bullet points. It's all about how the bits fit together. I mean, I can't tell you why you'd want to modulate Pro-C or pretty much any other compressor because I wouldn't really want to myself, but I can tell you why you'd want to modulate Zip in near countless ways. Its combo of well tuned auto-threshold and auto-makeup make a lot of interesting things possible. Without even engaging the modulation per-se, just those 2 things make Zip able to apply a consistent 'compression character' on inputs of wildly variable RMS, act as a smooth leveler, or both of those things at once. I suppose when you first look at it you might think, with all the modulation, it's only good for outlandish compression FX, but after spending a bit of time with it it quickly becomes a toolbox full of bread and butter compression effects that should exist but don't.

User avatar
exmatproton
KVRAF
2498 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Re: Unfiltered Audio Lion

Post Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:26 am

I am modulating pro-c's threshold quite often. Kinda handy if you ask me

Return to “Instruments”