N.I. Straylight...

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9050 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Digivolt wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:25 am
It's EU law, it just happens being from the UK I only know of the UK version but NI is still selling to UK customers so it will apply
It may apply but unless NI has a UK office, there is nothing the UK government can do about it. A German company is not bound in any way by UK law. Also, as TMHC says, it's a new version with a new price. As long as the price stays at $199 after the sale, I don't see a problem. No company has any obligation to sell a product at a price that suits you. If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it.

Anyway, bought it this morning without even realising it had been updated or the price had gone up. All that matters is that I was happy to pay the Au$149 they were asking. The X-Y pad was the tipping point for me. As soon as I started messing with that, the whole thing came alive. It's awesome!
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Straylight, Quanta, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

dandezebra
KVRian
1283 posts since 21 Dec, 2013 from USA

Re: N.I. Straylight...

Post Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Sample drag and drop makes this a fun house.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:37 pm

I can't see myself using that feature. Honestly, who has the time? It comes with more than enough content that I can't see myself ever running out of new sounds.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Straylight, Quanta, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

fairlyclose
KVRist
236 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 pm

delete

qoyl
KVRist
265 posts since 17 Jul, 2015

Post Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:51 pm

BONES wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:37 pm
I can't see myself using that feature. Honestly, who has the time? It comes with more than enough content that I can't see myself ever running out of new sounds.
Isn’t there only ~ 3 GB of content? Or is that just the demo version?

EvilDragon
KVRAF
18992 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:58 pm

No, that's the whole content.

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
3457 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:07 am

Iris 2 comes with like 11 GB of samples, but at most 20% of that is used in presets. Personally I had a little use of it so far.

With a granular synth you can really gets tons of sound out of relatively short sample. Just like any other synth, and unlike sample-based library.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

qoyl
KVRist
265 posts since 17 Jul, 2015

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:16 am

Ok thank you both for clarifying. I don’t doubt that what’s there can justify the price tag, you just do tend to see higher storage requirements for products charging as much so I figured I would double check.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:29 am

qoyl wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:51 pm
For a start, that's about a million times more content than your average V/A and it doesn't seem to limit them a whole lot. Secondly, whatever the gig count is, it equates to somewhere around 400 wave sources for the oscillators, which I think will keep me entertained for the foreseeable future.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm

I did a bit of D'n'Ding of my own samples the other night and it just confirmed what I thought - whoever curated the content that ships with Straylight did a really good job. In every instance my samples sounded worse than the ones they replaced. I was trying to see if I needed Quanta as well, or if Straylight could cover what it does. Turns out they are very different beasts and I think they will complement each other nicely. Now I just need to find some time to play around and learn the intricacies of each (never had a granular synth before).

Return to “Instruments”