N.I. Straylight...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Digivolt wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:25 pmIt's EU law, it just happens being from the UK I only know of the UK version but NI is still selling to UK customers so it will apply
It may apply but unless NI has a UK office, there is nothing the UK government can do about it. A German company is not bound in any way by UK law. Also, as TMHC says, it's a new version with a new price. As long as the price stays at $199 after the sale, I don't see a problem. No company has any obligation to sell a product at a price that suits you. If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it.

Anyway, bought it this morning without even realising it had been updated or the price had gone up. All that matters is that I was happy to pay the Au$149 they were asking. The X-Y pad was the tipping point for me. As soon as I started messing with that, the whole thing came alive. It's awesome!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Sample drag and drop makes this a fun house.

I can't see myself using that feature. Honestly, who has the time? It comes with more than enough content that I can't see myself ever running out of new sounds.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

delete

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:37 am I can't see myself using that feature. Honestly, who has the time? It comes with more than enough content that I can't see myself ever running out of new sounds.
Isn’t there only ~ 3 GB of content? Or is that just the demo version?

No, that's the whole content.

Isn’t there only ~ 3 GB of content? Or is that just the demo version?
Iris 2 comes with like 11 GB of samples, but at most 20% of that is used in presets. Personally I had a little use of it so far.

With a granular synth you can really gets tons of sound out of relatively short sample. Just like any other synth, and unlike sample-based library.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Ok thank you both for clarifying. I don’t doubt that what’s there can justify the price tag, you just do tend to see higher storage requirements for products charging as much so I figured I would double check.

qoyl wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:51 amIsn’t there only ~ 3 GB of content? Or is that just the demo version?
For a start, that's about a million times more content than your average V/A and it doesn't seem to limit them a whole lot. Secondly, whatever the gig count is, it equates to somewhere around 400 wave sources for the oscillators, which I think will keep me entertained for the foreseeable future.

I did a bit of D'n'Ding of my own samples the other night and it just confirmed what I thought - whoever curated the content that ships with Straylight did a really good job. In every instance my samples sounded worse than the ones they replaced. I was trying to see if I needed Quanta as well, or if Straylight could cover what it does. Turns out they are very different beasts and I think they will complement each other nicely. Now I just need to find some time to play around and learn the intricacies of each (never had a granular synth before).

I almost snatched it for Black Friday sale. But then after considering all mo options over a few days I ended up getting a few other things for around the same price.

Maybe next time.

Any idea when it becomes a part of Komplete (Ultimate I assume)? Just curious how NI rolls out this stuff.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:59 pm Any idea when it becomes a part of Komplete (Ultimate I assume)? Just curious how NI rolls out this stuff.
Going by the trend, it should be included in Komplete 13 Ultimate - September 2020.

Komplete kind of puts you over a barrel that way, doesn't it? By the time you can get it in the bundle, everyone else will have used it to death, but you do't want to pay a shit-ton of money for it because you already paid a super shit-ton for Komplete and you know it will eventually become part of that. Feels like a good reason to avoid Komplete to me.

BONES wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:42 pm Komplete kind of puts you over a barrel that way, doesn't it? By the time you can get it in the bundle, everyone else will have used it to death, but you do't want to pay a shit-ton of money for it because you already paid a super shit-ton for Komplete and you know it will eventually become part of that. Feels like a good reason to avoid Komplete to me.
The funny thing is, every time I tend to spend that little extra money on a few more of their plugins that aren't in their Standard bundle, by the time the update rolls around, most of those plugins are are included in the update!!

I have an impression Raum will be in the next Standard, like their delay. But Ultimate users will get a version of it with much more flexibility and enhanced features. At least, that's my prediction. We'll see how it plays out.

Return to “Instruments”