Hive 2.0 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12522 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 am

Urs wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 am
Or use ratchets to make up to 32 steps.
Could you please point to a factory patch that uses ratchets to make up to 32 steps or perhaps post an example patch ? I don't see any mention of it in the manual including the Arp/Seq tips and tricks section unless I'm missing it. A search in the .pdf for "ratchets" found nothing.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
Urs
u-he
23672 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:11 am

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 am
Urs wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 am
Or use ratchets to make up to 32 steps.
Could you please point to a factory patch that uses ratchets to make up to 32 steps or perhaps post an example patch ? I don't see any mention of it in the manual including the Arp/Seq tips and tricks section unless I'm missing it. A search in the .pdf for "ratchets" found nothing.
Sorry, I must be lacking coffee, I mistook the argument to be about the Shape Sequencer :oops:

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12522 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:41 am

Oh ok I thought I was just being stupid....again.... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PieBerger
KVRist
307 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:57 am

Urs wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:11 am
Teksonik wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 am
Urs wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 am
Or use ratchets to make up to 32 steps.
Could you please point to a factory patch that uses ratchets to make up to 32 steps or perhaps post an example patch ? I don't see any mention of it in the manual including the Arp/Seq tips and tricks section unless I'm missing it. A search in the .pdf for "ratchets" found nothing.
Sorry, I must be lacking coffee, I mistook the argument to be about the Shape Sequencer :oops:
That's no good, shame about the sequencer too :)

You could improvise with the combined use of LFO, Shape Sequencer, Scale Quantize and Random. Have the Random source modulating the in scale pitch, Shape Sequencer with high, low cells in Random by One trigger (at the main sequencer rate) modulating the output i.e. random volume gate and a square LFO with a 2 bar period scaling these modulations so that every second bar is a randomised variation of the main sequence. It's obviously not as powerful as having full control of the full 32 steps but it might yield some interesting results none-the-less.
Always Read the Manual!

User avatar
muki
KVRist
43 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:13 am

i'd like to have a global on/off switch for ARP/SEQ (in the hexagon) just like for FX

DavidCarlyon
KVRist
420 posts since 17 Mar, 2018

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 am

Wow this one slipped right past me. Looks beautiful now!! No intro sale? Or did i miss it. Also is there an upgrade path? I own everything except hive.
Was on the fence before but this looks like a really speedy and fun synth to use.

PieBerger
KVRist
307 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:01 am

DavidCarlyon wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 am
Wow this one slipped right past me. Looks beautiful now!! No intro sale? Or did i miss it. Also is there an upgrade path? I own everything except hive.
Was on the fence before but this looks like a really speedy and fun synth to use.
The intro sale was 4 years ago :)
Always Read the Manual!

THE INTRANCER
KVRian
987 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am

I had a look back at my old email recite for Hive 1.0 which I picked up back in Dec 29 2014 ( during the Intro period ) and it cost.... just £58.38... (Some generous dude from the old props forum gave me a discount code to get a little more off I remember)... :party: The original Hive intro price inc vat was £78.10...

Saying that though, I probably spent about £150 on UHE's RE's for Reason which I have about 8 of. Now pretty redundant now as I don't use Reason any more... Can't sell or transfer them. Win some lose some..
THE INTRANCER-Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist - Orchestral Trance - Ambient - Film Scores | Soundcloud 27 | Soundclick 16 | Producing Music For 25+Years & Sound Monitoring FOH at UK Stadium/Festivals for Carl Cox, FatBoy Slim ect

Razzia
KVRist
191 posts since 21 May, 2016

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:36 pm

The most exciting thing about this release for me is that zebra 3 is probably next 😊

I seriously cant wait. I log in every day knowing there probably wont be any new info for several months but hoping im wrong

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
15605 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:04 pm

Instead of more sequencer steps, just add conditional trigs like Elektron...

Butwug
KVRist
227 posts since 26 Oct, 2018

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Not too fond of sequencers myself, although I do use them at times when creating a patch. Rather just put notes into piano roll. The only sequencer I use is on ABL3. It goes up to 32 steps but always use 16 tbh, and trigger different sequences on midi. ABL3 has the option to use every note on piano roll to trigger different sequence. Rarely go beyond 5 different sequences.

To each their own I suppose.

User avatar
Urs
u-he
23672 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:52 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 am
Saying that though, I probably spent about £150 on UHE's RE's for Reason which I have about 8 of. Now pretty redundant now as I don't use Reason any more... Can't sell or transfer them. Win some lose some..
We did an upgrade offer from RE to VST. I think with 8 REs you had gotten the VST version for free (but don't quote me on this!). Try our support guys, maybe that still works.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8158 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 am

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:04 pm
Instead of more sequencer steps, just add conditional trigs like Elektron...
I've had my Analog Keys for 18 months now and I haven't so much as glanced at the sequencer. Consequently I have no idea what conditional trigs are or why I'd want to use them. All of which is to suggest that you probably need to tell people what you are talking about if you want them to consider your idea.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10),Behringer QX1002USB, Cubase Pro 10, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block M, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
15605 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:12 am

BONES wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:19 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:04 pm
Instead of more sequencer steps, just add conditional trigs like Elektron...
I've had my Analog Keys for 18 months now and I haven't so much as glanced at the sequencer. Consequently I have no idea what conditional trigs are or why I'd want to use them. All of which is to suggest that you probably need to tell people what you are talking about if you want them to consider your idea.
In the Elektron Sequencer any active individual step can be set to trigger by percentage or by some options such as every second or third iteration etc. and a number of other options. It makes it possible to have a 16 step sequence that has variations so it becomes a 32 or longer step sequence or is randomized. The Elektron sequencer can be up to 64 steps, but it is in 4 pages of 16 so being able to use just the 1 page of 16 steps but add some controlled variation is a faster workflow and musically useful.

I suggested it for Hive because if Hive sequencer were made 32 steps, it would end up in two tabs... which would be clumsy to work with. So I suggested the conditional trigs as a way to add some variation to the existing 16 step sequencer without adding any tabs or visual clutter. The GUI layout wouldn't need to be changed at all... only a right click option per step and some visual indication that the particular step has an active trigger option.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8158 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Hive 2.0 is out!

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:42 am

OK, that does sound cool and, as you say, musically useful but the thing is that with the new modulation options available, it doesn't matter any more. Whoever started whinging about it just looked at a screenshot and didn't bother to see anything beyond that.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10),Behringer QX1002USB, Cubase Pro 10, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block M, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

Return to “Instruments”