Hive 2.0 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I wasn't so keen on the look of the original interface, even though it was functional, but V.2 is looking very nice indeed.

I definitely like these all in one GUIs - makes it so much easier to see what's going on....

... especially with a range of screen sizes too...

... come on Native Instruments :?

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:12 pm
BONES wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:19 am
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:04 pmInstead of more sequencer steps, just add conditional trigs like Elektron...
I've had my Analog Keys for 18 months now and I haven't so much as glanced at the sequencer. Consequently I have no idea what conditional trigs are or why I'd want to use them. All of which is to suggest that you probably need to tell people what you are talking about if you want them to consider your idea.
In the Elektron Sequencer any active individual step can be set to trigger by percentage or by some options such as every second or third iteration etc. and a number of other options. It makes it possible to have a 16 step sequence that has variations so it becomes a 32 or longer step sequence or is randomized. The Elektron sequencer can be up to 64 steps, but it is in 4 pages of 16 so being able to use just the 1 page of 16 steps but add some controlled variation is a faster workflow and musically useful.

I suggested it for Hive because if Hive sequencer were made 32 steps, it would end up in two tabs... which would be clumsy to work with. So I suggested the conditional trigs as a way to add some variation to the existing 16 step sequencer without adding any tabs or visual clutter. The GUI layout wouldn't need to be changed at all... only a right click option per step and some visual indication that the particular step has an active trigger option.
That's a nice idea.

As far as the gui goes, it could be that a second skin does provide enough space for 32 steps.
The hexagon causes this limitation.

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:52 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pmSaying that though, I probably spent about £150 on UHE's RE's for Reason which I have about 8 of. Now pretty redundant now as I don't use Reason any more... Can't sell or transfer them. Win some lose some..
We did an upgrade offer from RE to VST. I think with 8 REs you had gotten the VST version for free (but don't quote me on this!). Try our support guys, maybe that still works.
Thanks, :) I had no idea about this offer, I was about to hunt down all the emails registrations of RE's and provide a screen grab of them for proof of purchase to send to support, but I found the email about it all at the last second, dated from Monday 17/07/2017, with the coupon code which to my surprise still worked.

But anyway that's fantastic, as I'm now able to use them regularly again and in Studio One without having to endure Reasons tiny rack. It's like I've just dug them out the cupboard after almost 5 years plus the bonus of them being able to scale larger as well... without paying a penny more. :D

They are now all registered and sitting pretty in Studio One....they really do add a whole new dimension to Hive 2... :party:
-
--

For anyone that has bought Uhbik RE's for Reason... it's worth looking at your emails from the above date..

If you own 2 or 3 Uhbik Rack Extensions, you are entitled to $30 off

If you own 4 or 5 Uhbik Rack Extensions, you are entitled to $100 Off

If you own 6 or more Uhbik Rack Extensions, you will receive Uhbik for free($149 off).

Confirmation box stating how many you own and a coupon code is provided [ ].
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:12 pmIn the Elektron Sequencer any active individual step can be set to trigger by percentage or by some options such as every second or third iteration etc. and a number of other options. It makes it possible to have a 16 step sequence that has variations so it becomes a 32 or longer step sequence or is randomized. The Elektron sequencer can be up to 64 steps, but it is in 4 pages of 16 so being able to use just the 1 page of 16 steps but add some controlled variation is a faster workflow and musically useful.

I suggested it for Hive because if Hive sequencer were made 32 steps, it would end up in two tabs... which would be clumsy to work with. So I suggested the conditional trigs as a way to add some variation to the existing 16 step sequencer without adding any tabs or visual clutter. The GUI layout wouldn't need to be changed at all... only a right click option per step and some visual indication that the particular step has an active trigger option.
You can use the Shape Sequencer to create random triggers/steps for pretty much anything. Three or four segments, two lanes in One Random mode, both set a source and via in the ModMatrix -> pretty much any probability you'd ever wish for, can be applied to any other parameter or ModMatrix slot.

I am a little confused by something I read in the manual:

To fully comply with the official VST3 standard we had to remove MIDI Learn functions from the VST3 version. Although the MIDI Learn page is still visible there, nothing actually works because VST3 doesn’t recognize raw MIDI. However, MIDI remote control assigned in another format will be adopted, which means that you can set up your controllers once using the VST2, AU or AAX plugin, then replace that with the VST3 version.

I setup the cutoff and resonance on my keyboard yesterday using the Hive learn (clicked the gear in upper-right) and am using the VST3 version. Today after loading up a new project in my DAW and loading the Init patch it still remembers the knobs I assigned for those yesterday. I mean, I am glad it works but it seems from what I read there in the manual that it shouldn't. I never used the VST2 version.

Or maybe I just read that wrong and need more coffee... :hihi:

Apparently that section of the manual needs an update. Right now Hive is the only U-he synth where it works with VST3 so I think it was just an oversight in the manual.

It was a last minute change that hadn't found its way into the user manual.

We're not fully complying with the VST3 specs anymore, but so apparently does nobody who has working MIDI Learn.

Urs wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 am
pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:12 pmIn the Elektron Sequencer any active individual step can be set to trigger by percentage or by some options such as every second or third iteration etc. and a number of other options. It makes it possible to have a 16 step sequence that has variations so it becomes a 32 or longer step sequence or is randomized. The Elektron sequencer can be up to 64 steps, but it is in 4 pages of 16 so being able to use just the 1 page of 16 steps but add some controlled variation is a faster workflow and musically useful.

You can use the Shape Sequencer to create random triggers/steps for pretty much anything. Three or four segments, two lanes in One Random mode, both set a source and via in the ModMatrix -> pretty much any probability you'd ever wish for, can be applied to any other parameter or ModMatrix slot.
Whether a sequencer step is on, tied or off cannot be modulated.

BTW... the Sequencer mod targets Attack, Decay and Gate can be dragged and dropped to but are not listed in the target menu.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 pm BTW... the Sequencer mod targets Attack, Decay and Gate can be dragged and dropped to but are not listed in the target menu.
That was the case in v1 too, from the manual:

"Although Attack, Gate % and Decay can all be modulated, they do not in appear in the modulation matrix target menu. For technical reasons you can only assign them via drag & drop"
Always Read the Manual!

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 pmWhether a sequencer step is on, tied or off cannot be modulated.
True.

Also, not sure it makes sense to add that level of complexity to Hive's sequencer (randomness, conditional things)

Urs wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:57 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 pmWhether a sequencer step is on, tied or off cannot be modulated.
True.

Also, not sure it makes sense to add that level of complexity to Hive's sequencer (randomness, conditional things)
Me neither... just someone was asking for 32 steps and I thought the conditional trigs would work better than a second tab of 16 steps in Hive.

Urs wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:35 pm It was a last minute change that hadn't found its way into the user manual.

We're not fully complying with the VST3 specs anymore, but so apparently does nobody who has working MIDI Learn.
Ok thanks Urs.

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:00 am
Yes, why? Why would you even need a sequencer in the plugin when the thing the plugin plugs into is a sequencer? Don't get me wrong, the first presets I go to with any new synth are the ARP and SEQ patches but that's mostly because they are a good way to hear what the instrument has to offer, not because I am too lazy to come up with my own riffs. If I end up using any of those patches, I always turn the instrument's sequencer off and play them from the big sequencer in Cubase.
I am really glad that 16 steps is enough for you Bones.
But it aint for me period end of argument.

The only other Synth I've seen is recent times that has that limit is Thorn.
If Uhe don't offer more steps in the Arp-sequencer I will simply sell it on and purchase a capable Synth for my requirements, its nothing for you to get all uptight about man.

Calandria wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:20 pmIf Uhe don't offer more steps in the Arp-sequencer I will simply sell it on and purchase a capable Synth for my requirements, its nothing for you to get all uptight about man.
Only a compete f**king idiot would be stupid enough to cut off their nose to spite their face like that. Seriously, you have a sequencer of unlimited length available where you use the plugin, what would you even use the on-board sequencer for? It would be like saying that you were going to sell your car because they won't let you drive it on the footpath (sidewalk). It makes absolutely, completely and utterly no sense whatsoever.

Remember, too, that the new modulation options basically give you a sequencer of unlimited length, given their generative possibilities. If you can't see how much more powerful that is than the sequencer, then see my point above.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Calandria wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:20 pm
BONES wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:00 am
Yes, why? Why would you even need a sequencer in the plugin when the thing the plugin plugs into is a sequencer? Don't get me wrong, the first presets I go to with any new synth are the ARP and SEQ patches but that's mostly because they are a good way to hear what the instrument has to offer, not because I am too lazy to come up with my own riffs. If I end up using any of those patches, I always turn the instrument's sequencer off and play them from the big sequencer in Cubase.
I am really glad that 16 steps is enough for you Bones.
But it aint for me period end of argument.

The only other Synth I've seen is recent times that has that limit is Thorn.
If Uhe don't offer more steps in the Arp-sequencer I will simply sell it on and purchase a capable Synth for my requirements, its nothing for you to get all uptight about man.
Clearly u-he synths aren't for you...

RePro-1 is the only u-he synth with more than 16 steps... and half of them don't even have a step sequencer.

Return to “Instruments”