Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

antic604 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:25 pm
ReboundAudio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:37 pmThe first BASS preset (i think it was called Anlalog FM) needs 50% CPU on a i9 9900X maschine? :scared:
It barely registers on the CPU meter of my (already) modest laptop. You're doing something wrong.
Sure. It's always the users doing something wrong. How could i forget. :)
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

ReboundAudio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 pmSure. It's always the users doing something wrong. How could i forget. :)
Then how will you explain the discrepancy?
5% on a 6-core 3GHz processor vs. 50% on a 10-core 3.5GHz processor?
Obviously there's some variable on your end that you're oblivious to or at least aren't telling :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:07 pm
ReboundAudio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 pmSure. It's always the users doing something wrong. How could i forget. :)
Obviously there's some variable on your end that you're oblivious to or at least aren't telling :)
Load the preset and trigger it very quick. Create a video of it. I want to see the 5% CPU! :tu:
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:29 pm
DJErmac wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:59 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:22 pm
ReboundAudio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:37 pm
Care to explain why?
Of course i explain why! I thought it's completly on the hands why but OK. :)

First lets say that the synth has nothing special which isn't able to do with other synths. :?
It supports sample load but no multisample load... what? :roll: :dog:
ALL The FX sounds really CHEAP and basic and nothing special :!:
The first BASS preset (i think it was called Anlalog FM) needs 50% CPU on a i9 9900X maschine? :scared:

The whole system is builded so confusing that when i see it from a noob-preset-rider view is not easy to understand. Experienced users will maybe understand this synth quick. But... ehm no... For me its absolutely not worth its price... and thats my last point.

The price of it is a bad joke! For Real! :uhuhuh: :hihi:
What are the other synths that combine PM, FM, Wavetable and Sampling (albeit rather basic), in a semi-modular/freely routable (mostly) environment, with modulatable FX and with good workflow ie no menu-diving/tabbing? I'd like to know about them :)
Who cares ? What if it had 2876 oscillators, 3456 LFO, 987465758 choices of analog filters, combine FM, wavetable, multisample with RR ? Would it automatically be the best synth ever ?
I agree, Phase Plant may combine PM, FM, Wavetable and anything you want, it fails to deliver any SOUND I've heard somewhere else, sorry. :shrug:
I think you misunderstand my point and my tone. It's not about having thousands of choices, in fact it's funny that you made such a comment, especially "987465758 choices of analog filters" because one of PP's weakest areas, by on-paper specs and feedback from users, is a lack of variety in the filter department :) It's also not about PP being the best synth in the world ever, because it's not and no other synth is either. You're just putting words into my mouth here...I was replying to "has nothing special which isn't able to do with other synths" , which I have taken to mean as lacking in features not anything along the lines of "in my personal opinion this synth fails to deliver soundwise compared other synths I own/have tried" again you're putting words in my mouth or at the very least you didn't consider that I may have been coming at it from a different angle.
Absolutely not : I was simply pointing the fact that (I think) ReboundAudio was talking audio when you were talking technology.
And what I was trying to say in the end is that it absolutely doesn't matter how the sound is made if the result is poor.
You are entirely right in what you've said btw, but it seems ReboundAudio and I both said in our ways that the synth capabilities didn't show anything amazing in the final audio result.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:00 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:29 pm
DJErmac wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:59 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:22 pm
ReboundAudio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:37 pm
Care to explain why?
Of course i explain why! I thought it's completly on the hands why but OK. :)

First lets say that the synth has nothing special which isn't able to do with other synths. :?
It supports sample load but no multisample load... what? :roll: :dog:
ALL The FX sounds really CHEAP and basic and nothing special :!:
The first BASS preset (i think it was called Anlalog FM) needs 50% CPU on a i9 9900X maschine? :scared:

The whole system is builded so confusing that when i see it from a noob-preset-rider view is not easy to understand. Experienced users will maybe understand this synth quick. But... ehm no... For me its absolutely not worth its price... and thats my last point.

The price of it is a bad joke! For Real! :uhuhuh: :hihi:
What are the other synths that combine PM, FM, Wavetable and Sampling (albeit rather basic), in a semi-modular/freely routable (mostly) environment, with modulatable FX and with good workflow ie no menu-diving/tabbing? I'd like to know about them :)
Who cares ? What if it had 2876 oscillators, 3456 LFO, 987465758 choices of analog filters, combine FM, wavetable, multisample with RR ? Would it automatically be the best synth ever ?
I agree, Phase Plant may combine PM, FM, Wavetable and anything you want, it fails to deliver any SOUND I've heard somewhere else, sorry. :shrug:
I think you misunderstand my point and my tone. It's not about having thousands of choices, in fact it's funny that you made such a comment, especially "987465758 choices of analog filters" because one of PP's weakest areas, by on-paper specs and feedback from users, is a lack of variety in the filter department :) It's also not about PP being the best synth in the world ever, because it's not and no other synth is either. You're just putting words into my mouth here...I was replying to "has nothing special which isn't able to do with other synths" , which I have taken to mean as lacking in features not anything along the lines of "in my personal opinion this synth fails to deliver soundwise compared other synths I own/have tried" again you're putting words in my mouth or at the very least you didn't consider that I may have been coming at it from a different angle.
Absolutely not : I was simply pointing the fact that (I think) ReboundAudio was talking audio when you were talking technology.
And what I was trying to say in the end is that it absolutely doesn't matter how the sound is made if the result is poor.
You are entirely right in what you've said btw, but it seems ReboundAudio and I both said in our ways that the synth capabilities didn't show anything amazing in the final audio result.
Alrighty, just got our wires crossed a little :)
Always Read the Manual!

Still waiting for your 5% cpu video my friend. :zzz:

ReboundAudio wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:37 pm
Still waiting for your 5% cpu video my friend. :zzz:
Some of us have families and have to work, you know? Don't worry - it's coming :)
Music tech enthusiast

ReboundAudio wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:37 pmStill waiting for your 5% cpu video my friend. :zzz:
Ok,sorry - it jumps between 15-25% here. But it's on a CPU that's almost 50% of the one you have:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 3376vs3237
Music tech enthusiast

PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:22 pm What are the other synths that combine PM, FM, Wavetable and Sampling (albeit rather basic), in a semi-modular/freely routable (mostly) environment, with modulatable FX and with good workflow ie no menu-diving/tabbing? I'd like to know about them
Bitwig 3's The Grid.

graspee wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:10 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:22 pm What are the other synths that combine PM, FM, Wavetable and Sampling (albeit rather basic), in a semi-modular/freely routable (mostly) environment, with modulatable FX and with good workflow ie no menu-diving/tabbing? I'd like to know about them
Bitwig 3's The Grid.
I can't use it in Live or Cubase though :( a fine suggestion though, might be helpful for any BWS users reading.
Always Read the Manual!

antic604 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:40 am
ReboundAudio wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:37 pmStill waiting for your 5% cpu video my friend. :zzz:
Ok,sorry - it jumps between 15-25% here. But it's on a CPU that's almost 50% of the one you have:
Sorry but i still don't believe you! And i don't know why you try to protect the synth in this case. It needs way to much CPU even on a VERY STRONG CPU and this is a hint, that it has BAD code!

You ever tried (as example) Rapid? 24 OSC possible there, wavetables with 10.000 steps, multisamples with round robin, effects, send, etc etc... I can have 10 OSC there and don't have more than 10% cpu. Now PhasePlant starts to annoy with a simple bassline which needs 50% fast triggering. i mean wtf?

And now you write it needs 15-25% ... just before you try to proof it would be just 5%?
If you have nothing constructive and truthful to answer on my posts, please just shut up!

Best wishes!

For the most part, I noticed the CPU was OK except for the some of more complex presets such as
Accent Piece and Beyond Guitar. Those and some others with similar complexity seemed to strain the CPU a bit. I have an i7 Intel-CPU with 16 gigs of RAM from about 3-4 years ago but it should be able to handle it.

antic604 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:25 pm
ReboundAudio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:37 pmThe first BASS preset (i think it was called Anlalog FM) needs 50% CPU on a i9 9900X maschine? :scared:
It barely registers on the CPU meter of my (already) modest laptop. You're doing something wrong.

Question
Research
Hypothesis
Experiment
Analysis
Conclusion

ReboundAudio wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:21 pm
antic604 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:40 am
Sorry but i still don't believe you! And i don't know why you try to protect the synth in this case. It needs way to much CPU even on a VERY STRONG CPU and this is a hint, that it has BAD code!

You ever tried (as example) Rapid? 24 OSC possible there, wavetables with 10.000 steps, multisamples with round robin, effects, send, etc etc... I can have 10 OSC there and don't have more than 10% cpu. Now PhasePlant starts to annoy with a simple bassline which needs 50% fast triggering. i mean wtf?

And now you write it needs 15-25% ... just before you try to proof it would be just 5%?
If you have nothing constructive and truthful to answer on my posts, please just shut up!

Best wishes!
What power mode are you running? I have only heard once before when a 9900 was using huge CPU like that when others were not and its when the power mode was set to "balanced" instead of "high performance" (control panel > hardware and sound > power options). I have an i7-8700 and don't come close to your numbers.

Yes, I was thinking about the power mode also...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Return to “Instruments”