Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
starflakeprj
KVRian
1487 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 am

Already? Time flies, happy birthday, Phase Plant! :)

And that's a really nice price on Phase Plant, I would have bought directly if it weren't because I'm already in a subscription.

Unless I get a great upgrade price of course, I think It's only 3 snap-ins and Phase Plant I don't have. Need to log in and check :)
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.3 | Bitwig Studio 3.2 | Reaper 6.1 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.7 | ~900 VSTs | ~300+ REs

starflakeprj
KVRian
1487 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 am

Oh noes, two payments from getting a €100 voucher, and my upgrade price is €108,40. Bad timing :(
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.3 | Bitwig Studio 3.2 | Reaper 6.1 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.7 | ~900 VSTs | ~300+ REs

StuSmith
KVRist
108 posts since 3 Aug, 2015

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Wed May 27, 2020 12:04 am

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 am
Unless I get a great upgrade price of course, I think It's only 3 snap-ins and Phase Plant I don't have. Need to log in and check :)
You should get a pretty tasty upgrade price if you're only three plugins short of a full pack!

StuSmith
KVRist
108 posts since 3 Aug, 2015

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Wed May 27, 2020 12:07 am

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 am
Oh noes, two payments from getting a €100 voucher, and my upgrade price is €108,40. Bad timing :(
The vouchers can't be used in conjunction with promotional discounts so you're not really missing out on an €8.40 upgrade deal. :wink:

starflakeprj
KVRian
1487 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Wed May 27, 2020 6:18 am

StuSmith wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:07 am
starflakeprj wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 am
Oh noes, two payments from getting a €100 voucher, and my upgrade price is €108,40. Bad timing :(
The vouchers can't be used in conjunction with promotional discounts so you're not really missing out on an €8.40 upgrade deal. :wink:
Aha, that makes sense :)
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.3 | Bitwig Studio 3.2 | Reaper 6.1 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.7 | ~900 VSTs | ~300+ REs

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
10044 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Wed May 27, 2020 1:21 pm

It's a bit of a bargain at $99, well worth grabbing. I started with just the basic version and I've been grabbing more snap-ins when they go on sale (usually for half price). So over the last 6 months I've built up a good range of things to throw in there. Of course, it's a clever sales model because after I spent the initial $99, I've probably spent another $100 or more on snap-ins. But when you are only spending $30-$40 at a time, you don't notice.

I also like the way Kilohearts run their business. They update everything at once which makes it really easy to keep track of versioning and stay up to date.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C | Cubase | DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Union, bx_oberhausen, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Phase Plant, Mono/Fury, Pigments, Aparillo | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova.

breakmixer
KVRAF
4289 posts since 14 Nov, 2008 from UK

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am

I tried the demo of this, realised its not for me after a 15 minute try. After I uninstalled it it left numerous empty folders in 3 locations. This is something a hate about demos/vsts in general. If it is uninstalled, nothing should be left behind.

StuSmith
KVRist
108 posts since 3 Aug, 2015

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 am

breakmixer wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am
I tried the demo of this, realised its not for me after a 15 minute try. After I uninstalled it it left numerous empty folders in 3 locations. This is something a hate about demos/vsts in general. If it is uninstalled, nothing should be left behind.
I mentioned this to the devs and they agree and will look into doing something about it... some of that stuff is license info so you can reinstall without hassles but that's not really relevant if you just trialed it... they'll probably add a "Delete everything totally 4-evah pls" button, or something like that.

breakmixer
KVRAF
4289 posts since 14 Nov, 2008 from UK

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 am

StuSmith wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 am
breakmixer wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am
I tried the demo of this, realised its not for me after a 15 minute try. After I uninstalled it it left numerous empty folders in 3 locations. This is something a hate about demos/vsts in general. If it is uninstalled, nothing should be left behind.
I mentioned this to the devs and they agree and will look into doing something about it... some of that stuff is license info so you can reinstall without hassles but that's not really relevant if you just trialed it... they'll probably add a "Delete everything totally 4-evah pls" button, or something like that.
I've been doing a tidy up of my PC and even updated stuff like Arturia leaves remnants of old stuff deleted, so Kilohearts aren't the only ones who are guilty of this, some even leave behind the .dll's? I usually have to go in and manually look for stuff to delete, then years later whilst sorting out something else find other old stuff hidden. I'm installing BFD 3 upgrade(from discontinued ECO) now after clearing the rest of my products from them(Sold yesterday on KVR), before I did I uninstalled everything FXpansion related to make sure I get a 100 clean install of just BFD3 and this time the full(not light) versions of the 3 expansions I own. I usually have a purge and upgrade session once a year. It's that time, plus checking out the new movements in VST land.

For some reason I can't get into these modern wavetable synths, I've tried Pigments, Kilohearts and a couple of others and I just feel meh, think I just like samples, analog, FM mainly, though I seem to like what I hear from Microfreak, Wavestate, Peak, Old Ensoniq Transwave in hardware(I don't own them btw) - so I do like digital stuff(I think the Wavestation VSTi is great too). But I can't put my finger on it why I dislike these modern Wavetable VSTi's. They all seem to sound similar too...from my limited demo tryouts that is.

Smapti
KVRist
152 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 am

I'm not a big fan of wavetable synthesis either, but that's why I like Phase Plant -- it's way more than just a wavetable synth. For example, the FM possibilities are endless; you can do wild FM routings in it. You can even make a sample do audio-rate modulation of synth parameters.

breakmixer
KVRAF
4289 posts since 14 Nov, 2008 from UK

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 am

Smapti wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 am
I'm not a big fan of wavetable synthesis either, but that's why I like Phase Plant -- it's way more than just a wavetable synth. For example, the FM possibilities are endless; you can do wild FM routings in it. You can even make a sample do audio-rate modulation of synth parameters.
TBH I just preset surfed it and was wubbled into the wall behind me, when I tried the pads - playing the second 3/4 note chord with the first still decaying brought my CPU to it's knees and started glitching, something I've not experienced for years. I've always thought buying hardware for digital was a bit daft, but now even VSTi digitals and not just VA's can be CPU intensive.

User avatar
zvenx
KVRAF
8156 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 8:08 am

Was just a reminder how sound aesthetics is a very personal thing. I tried to like it for the second time but it wasn't my cup of tea soundwise. And it seemed to use quite a lot of cpu on my system.
Rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

audiot
KVRist
397 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Germany

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 am

I dont like their business model :? but after demoing PhasePlant I coulnt resist the sale last year :oops: PhasePlant has one of the most intuitive modulation system. Compared to it's complexity, it's maybe the most intuitive plugin on the market. Loading PhasePlant is like looking on an empty canvas. Transforming ideas into sounds is much easier with phaseplant then with some competitors ... and it's fun :party: Workflow and visual feedback are outstanding ... on the same level as Serum. Soundwise it's not in the same league as u-he but it's a good sounding plugin ... i love PhasePlant :love:

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
15143 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 am

audiot wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 am
I dont like their business model :? but after demoing PhasePlant I coulnt resist the sale last year :oops: PhasePlant has one of the most intuitive modulation system. Compared to it's complexity, it's maybe the most intuitive plugin on the market. Loading PhasePlant is like looking on an empty canvas. Transforming ideas into sounds is much easier with phaseplant then with some competitors ... and it's fun :party: Workflow and visual feedback are outstanding ... on the same level as Serum. Soundwise it's not in the same league as u-he but it's a good sounding plugin ... i love PhasePlant :love:
What's not to like? There's certainly nothing controversial about it :shrug: In fact there's lots to love actually.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

audiot
KVRist
397 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Germany

Re: Phase Plant released

Post Thu May 28, 2020 9:06 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 am
audiot wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 am
I dont like their business model :? but after demoing PhasePlant I coulnt resist the sale last year :oops: PhasePlant has one of the most intuitive modulation system. Compared to it's complexity, it's maybe the most intuitive plugin on the market. Loading PhasePlant is like looking on an empty canvas. Transforming ideas into sounds is much easier with phaseplant then with some competitors ... and it's fun :party: Workflow and visual feedback are outstanding ... on the same level as Serum. Soundwise it's not in the same league as u-he but it's a good sounding plugin ... i love PhasePlant :love:
What's not to like? There's certainly nothing controversial about it :shrug: In fact there's lots to love actually.
That Snapin-System feels a bit like these micro transactions in computer games. They should include the complete FX section, and if you like some of the effects and want to use them externally, then you have to buy them ... just my opinion :neutral:
Last edited by audiot on Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”