Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Yes, and a lot of those Snap-Ins are things you'd never use in a synth, e.g. the Gain plugin, so you don't really need to buy them all. And you don't need the Filter Snap-In because it's the same as PP's own filter. With Reverb, Delay, EQ and Ensemble you'd have a really good set of tools and if you don't want to buy it all at once, just use your global send reverb and delay and buy the Snap-ins when you can afford them.
dune_rave wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:20 amAfaik Phaseplant can contain many wavetable oscillators, not limited by their number. this is a unique feature, icarus or serum is limited, and even avenger is limited to 8 wt oscs. however i can't imagine a use case for this, where you would need 10 wt oscs...
That's because you are looking at it wrong. PhasePlant can have as many oscillators as you want, even if you only want one. OTOH, Avenger always has 8, whether you need them or not. i.e. Avenger will always be complicated, where PP can be very simple. That's why I like it - simple things are quick and easy and it only gets complex and messy when I need it to.
TIMT wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:53 ameverything seems sort of half arsed in terms of the sound quality
Really? I have to wonder if you even know what that word means? To be fair, I don't use the wavetable oscillators at all but the V/A osc sounds great.
all of Kilohearts plugins give off this vibe.
That's not been my experience at all. Faturator is a great distortion that I find a lot more versatile than many others. I tried several different gate plugins before I settle don kHs Trance gate. Disperser is quite unique. The Ensemble Snap-In sounds amazing and has a great GUI. Phase Distortion creates some beautiful results unlike any other of the dozens of distortion plugins I own. Do I need to go on?
the filters are rubbish to be honest.
Hardly. Yes, they lack character but that's because you are supposed to put the character in yourself, by putting other effects before the filters in the chain. Even if you don't, they do the job well enough.
i feel kind of the same about all the effects really and the oscillators,distortion..none of it sticks out.
I think exactly the same about Thorn but, taken as a whole, it is far and away my favourite VSTi. And over the years I've found that to often be true - the best synths are always more than the sum of their parts and synths that are great in one area are often let down in another.
having a macro for phase and amplitude modulation is not audiorate.
Actually, that's precisely what it is, just as FM is audiorate modulation., it's just a bit weird to refer to it as that, rather than cross-modulation. It took me a while to work out what they meant.
Apologies for the rant but this synth really disappointed me despite all the hype it got initially and after its launch.
I think you need to understand that not everyone has the same needs as you. As I said earlier, I have never so much as touched the wavetable oscillator but given how good the rest of the synth is, and what you've said about it, I think it is unlikely it's anywhere near as bad as you're trying to suggest. Maybe it doesn't suit your needs but to suggest it sounds bad and is mostly generic is just laughable. It makes me wonder if you have the slightest idea what you are doing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:14 am
dune_rave wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:20 amAfaik Phaseplant can contain many wavetable oscillators, not limited by their number. this is a unique feature, icarus or serum is limited, and even avenger is limited to 8 wt oscs. however i can't imagine a use case for this, where you would need 10 wt oscs...
That's because you are looking at it wrong. PhasePlant can have as many oscillators as you want, even if you only want one. OTOH, Avenger always has 8, whether you need them or not. i.e. Avenger will always be complicated, where PP can be very simple. That's why I like it - simple things are quick and easy and it only gets complex and messy when I need it to.
TBH, I doubt that. Of course i'm not 100 percent aware of how avenger inner things work, but it would be a bit silly, if it would always use the maximum 8 oscs every time.

Whether they are switched on or not, they are there and have to be dealt with. They still clutter the GUI. You only have to look at Avenger's cluttered, uninviting interface to see that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

So I purchased the Professional bundle. But here is the problem. On the main page where they are promoting the sale it says Phase Plant plus Toolbox PROFESSIONAL - $249. After the purchase my account license page shows I am only licensed for Toolbox Professional. It shows all of the add-ins. However I have no license for Phase Plant. Same goes for the installer. Phase Plant is grayed out.

So was this a licensing mistake or is this poorly worded at their site and Phase Plant is supposed to be purchased separately? The main page now has every bundle grayed out for me, but Phase Plant is there for $99. Mocking me. :(

I sent them an email yesterday, but a full work day has passed over there and I have not heard back yet. I bought it on Sunday to dig in and get going with it, now it seems the earliest i'll hear back in on Tuesday.
SW: Bitwig Studio 3, Studio One 5, Reason 11, Komplete 12
HW: Minilogue XD, TR-8S, 0-Coast, Bassline, Digitone, Digitakt, Jazzmaster
Pedals: Zen Delay, Black Hole Symmetry, Ottobit, Shigeharu, Tremotron, Dweller, Oblivion, Julianna, Rooms, Microcosm

It clearly says Phase Plant plus Toolbox Pro for €249 so something looks to have gone wrong there.

They have resolved the issue for me and I now have everything from the bundle. :)
SW: Bitwig Studio 3, Studio One 5, Reason 11, Komplete 12
HW: Minilogue XD, TR-8S, 0-Coast, Bassline, Digitone, Digitakt, Jazzmaster
Pedals: Zen Delay, Black Hole Symmetry, Ottobit, Shigeharu, Tremotron, Dweller, Oblivion, Julianna, Rooms, Microcosm

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:35 am Whether they are switched on or not, they are there and have to be dealt with. They still clutter the GUI. You only have to look at Avenger's cluttered, uninviting interface to see that.
Nor Phase Plant's GUI, Nor Avenger's GUI is perfect. TBH I have no problem with the Avenger GUI. But what really makes me ranking Avenger higher than Phase Plant is the "ready to use" sounds for example in its factory library.
We don't have to agree - you rather like Phase Plant, I don't :)

I find the GUI completely fine. It gets as cultured as you want It to be.
Take care :wink:

dune_rave wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:01 pmNor Phase Plant's GUI, Nor Avenger's GUI is perfect. TBH I have no problem with the Avenger GUI.
The thing is, though, that when I just want a simple one oscillator synth for a bassline, then PP's interface is very clean and uncluttered. It's also a helluva lot cheaper than Avenger - I paid $99 for PP and I've probably spent about another $60 of my own money on snap-ins, plus I've used a couple of $30 vouchers Kilohearts has given me. And, right now, I have every Snap-In I want so I won't have to spend another cent. That's $160 spread over 6 months, compared to $220 in one hit.
But what really makes me ranking Avenger higher than Phase Plant is the "ready to use" sounds for example in its factory library.
I consider large patch libraries a negative. Who has time to go through them all? Give me 128 patches that really show off a synth's strengths and I am happy to go from there and make my own sounds. OTOH, if you give me 1500 sounds where all the ones I like are just variations on the same theme, which I find happens all the time, I am far less likely to be interested. It is precisely why I am replacing Battery with Ujam's vastly simpler Beatmaker drum plugins - I don't want to be paralysed by choices and I want to be able to find what I need as quickly as possible. Battery has been a huge bottleneck for my work over the couple of years I've been using it.

Heads up: Kilohearts is offering 50% off their Transient Shaper, Bitcrush, Ring Mod, and Formant Filter effects (VST/AU/AAX/Snapin) for two weeks.

https://kilohearts.com/

StuSmith wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:08 pm Heads up: Kilohearts is offering 50% off their Transient Shaper, Bitcrush, Ring Mod, and Formant Filter effects (VST/AU/AAX/Snapin) for two weeks.

https://kilohearts.com/
More importantly, dropped a new version of Phase Plant today... VST3 support, finally!!!!!

Good News @everyone! A new release! Version 1.8.5!

==General==
* Added VST3 support
* Fixed a problem where some popups were cancelled by clicking outside them when they shouldn't be.
* Fixed a problem where the "edited" asterisk in the top bar was not removed properly when saving.
* Fixed a problem where config files could become corrupted and get stuck in this corrupted state.

==Phase Plant==
* Added multiple Unison modes, allowing both more control of regular unison as well as additional creative and chord unison modes.
* Added support for Unison on the Sample generator module.
* Added "Normalize Global Peak" and "Normalize Frame Peak" fixes in the Wavetable Editor
* Added "Center" and "Range" knobs to the Note modulator allow tweaking of the range
* Reworked the layout of the generator modules to give more space to the displays, and hide away complexity when not used.
* Fixed a problem that caused modulation envelopes to not get retriggered at the correct times in monophonic patches.
* Fixed a problem where Gain and Mix was not modulated properly on Poly lanes.
* Fixed a problem where browsers would not understand files with the wrong extension case.
* Fixed a layout issue that could cause status bar to go off screen when preset browser is open.

==Pitch Shifter==
* Added an option for Latency compensation allowing more compensation at the expense of more latency, or no compensation to get zero latency in the dry signal.

==Snap Heap & Multipass==
* Fixed a problem where ADSR envelopes sometimes did not update the state of their gates as the threshold level was adjusted.

Oh wow, the new Unison section is pretty awesome!!

rollasoc wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:51 pmMore importantly, dropped a new version of Phase Plant today... VST3 support, finally!!!!!
Why is that important? I don't see the point of VST 3, it brings nothing to users over 2.4. But thanks for the heads-up!

rollasoc wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:51 pm More importantly, dropped a new version of Phase Plant today... VST3 support, finally!!!!!

Good News @everyone! A new release! Version 1.8.5!
Where did you read that ?
More BPM please

rollasoc wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:51 pm More importantly, dropped a new version of Phase Plant today...
:-D

You must be in the Discord server... you guys get a little head-start on the rest of the world. 8)

More info coming up later today.

Return to “Instruments”