Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Yet to demo Phase Plant, but most of the presets sound superb to me. The kind of presets you can put to use in actual songs rather than just sound design/experimental stuff. I thought Pigments had the best collection of presets, but Phase Plant presets are probably better in terms of usability from what I hear. The sound is the same category as Pigments though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC0OqGRKOoY

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:56 pm Yet to demo Phase Plant, but most of the presets sound superb to me. The kind of presets you can put to use in actual songs rather than just sound design/experimental stuff. I thought Pigments had the best collection of presets, but Phase Plant presets are probably better in terms of usability from what I hear. The sound is the same category as Pigments though.

I can't agree that sound is the same category as Pigments. With Pigments i can't make descent bass sound from analog/wavetable Oscs, espesially good low end and i didn't find bass presets in Pigments which would convince me. Oscs in Phase Plant are significally better in that regard.

Stan Navi wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:56 pm Yet to demo Phase Plant, but most of the presets sound superb to me. The kind of presets you can put to use in actual songs rather than just sound design/experimental stuff. I thought Pigments had the best collection of presets, but Phase Plant presets are probably better in terms of usability from what I hear. The sound is the same category as Pigments though.

I can't agree that sound is the same category as Pigments. With Pigments i can't make descent bass sound from analog/wavetable Oscs, espesially good low end and i didn't find bass presets in Pigments which would convince me. Oscs in Phase Plant are significally better in that regard.
Okay, I just meant that the sound character felt similar to Pigments. I have no idea about Phase Plant, but great if it sounds better in the low end. That has always been a debate with Pigments, but it is not probably meant for that stuff anyway. Although some new presets in Pigments 3 seem good to me.

E_Anderson wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:56 am
aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:33 pm Yeah I think it excels at FM - the particular generators themselves are capable although not best in class, but putting them together, by using them to modulate each other, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

It would be great to see granular capabilities being added to the sample osc though, and also an additive generator and MPE capabilities would on be my wishlist for Phaseplant 2. Also some of the effects could be enhanced such as a granular effect, a waveguide type filter for PM, and a better reverb.

Plus please get Arrovane to make more patches like the ones in Tremor - my favourite sounds so far for Phaseplant
You pretty much summed up all my thoughts. Granular osc, effect, additive osc, MPE, I don't know what waveguide is but it's probably cool, and reverb (and delay) improvement.

I'll add onto that FFT effects: vocoding/freq+amplitude freezing/sidechain matching, thinning, noise filtering or enhancing, partial rearrangement (mappable? modulatable mappings a la Pigments 3 Harmonic Cluster mode?), spectral purity/harmonicity. Also, a feedback loop in effects slots, whatever compromises necessary.
Some sort of MSEG would be useful - the envelopes seem a bit basic or am I missing a trick?

Anyone has a spare redemption code for Slice EQ? I have been trying to get it from Computer Music since yesterday to no avail.

SirKen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:59 pm Anyone has a spare redemption code for Slice EQ? I have been trying to get it from Computer Music since yesterday to no avail.
I got mine form CM, I seem to remember you log in to your user area to get it (where they post the magware), they didn't send it you. Unlikely people have free spares, they are quite valuable and sell quickly!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:02 pm
SirKen wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:59 pm Anyone has a spare redemption code for Slice EQ? I have been trying to get it from Computer Music since yesterday to no avail.
I got mine form CM, I seem to remember you log in to your user area to get it (where they post the magware), they didn't send it you. Unlikely people have free spares, they are quite valuable and sell quickly!
Yes, I went through the process and received my Carve EQ immediately. Still waiting for the Slice EQ though.

please end me
Last edited by E_Anderson on Wed May 26, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

E_Anderson wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:42 am While I appreciate the use cases you have shared for the snapins, I am someone who does not process the sounds within the plugin, so I am not sure they will be useful for me. Also, I am covered with all the external effects I need, so adding more effects from Kilohearts isn't going to offer any significant advantage. Perhaps I don't understand or feel excited about using Kilohearts effects in general.
I also tend to do most of my processing outside of the synth. My resonators are more customizable, my delays and reverbs are better than the kilohearts ones, but I do suggest you get that Slice EQ freebie. One of the main reasons Phase Plant is one of the only synths I’d use where I actually use the inbuilt effects lanes is because they are polyphonic, which gives distortions (which is however also available in the oscillator section, meanin it too is polyphonic IIRC), EQs and resonators/etc with note/pitch following a lot more power. Let your demo guide you to effects you do want out of their package and find them secondhand or during sales, and yes, you’ll save a lot of money.

I can’t speak for pigments, which I think is capable of some very pretty sounds, but mostly when using the Sampler oscillator I find I am still boosting lows pretty dramatically. Otherwise, yes, can confirm I have gotten some very juicy floor-rattling sub content out of the analogue osc, when playing around at a location that uses HS8’s (for whatever that’s worth)
aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:57 pm Some sort of MSEG would be useful - the envelopes seem a bit basic or am I missing a trick?
Turning off retrigger on a custom LFO shape is the one trick I’m aware of at the moment.

don’t mind me, just spamming double posts because I was in a hurry

E_Anderson wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:51 pm
E_Anderson wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:42 am While I appreciate the use cases you have shared for the snapins, I am someone who does not process the sounds within the plugin, so I am not sure they will be useful for me. Also, I am covered with all the external effects I need, so adding more effects from Kilohearts isn't going to offer any significant advantage. Perhaps I don't understand or feel excited about using Kilohearts effects in general.
I also tend to do most of my processing outside of the synth. My resonators are more customizable, my delays and reverbs are better than the kilohearts ones, but I do suggest you get that Slice EQ freebie. One of the main reasons Phase Plant is one of the only synths I’d use where I actually use the inbuilt effects lanes is because they are polyphonic, which gives distortions (which is however also available in the oscillator section, meanin it too is polyphonic IIRC), EQs and resonators/etc with note/pitch following a lot more power. Let your demo guide you to effects you do want out of their package and find them secondhand or during sales, and yes, you’ll save a lot of money.
Interesting. Thanks again for the insights. Yes, I will get the Slice EQ freebie from my magazine subscription. Also, have 3 other freebies from an old issue. I will need to understand the routing and modulation a little bit, since it looks a bit different than all the other synths that I have. Yeah, luckily I installed the demo at the right time. It gives me 10 days to try it and then 2 days to think whether I want to buy it during the current sale that ends on 7th June. At least I now know that I can start with Phase Plant basic. I was casually trying out some presets yesterday and some of them are really awesome. After a couple of days, I will uninstall everything else but Phase Plant and see if I still like it without the ability to edit the snapins, because that's what is going to be my actual use case to start with.

If I paid enough attention with my brief test yesterday, there is no SOLO button for the oscillators/sources. Only individual MUTE and global MUTE buttons. Am I correct?

I don’t think there is one. They’re responsive devs, and so is the community; may be worth it to ask them here on the official kilohearts discord server operated by the company: https://discord.gg/X7mMdVQh

E_Anderson wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:40 am I don’t think there is one. They’re responsive devs, and so is the community; may be worth it to ask them here on the official kilohearts discord server operated by the company: https://discord.gg/X7mMdVQh
Okay, thanks.

Pm'd you.

Yeah, same here. I own that particular magazine and I tried a few times today, but no luck.

If anyone has a spare code for Slice EQ, I'd appreciate it too. Thank you. :phones:

Return to “Instruments”