discoDSP Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

4damind wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 pm I just noticed that the original developer of Discovery died (?) and so it got more complicated because he doesn't have the necessary DSP knowledge for further development.
Only part of that is true. Discovery Pro has some very nicely done ZDF filters now and has moved on some way from the early days. So the second part of your claim is just made-up.

However, DiscoDSP's business practices are just so bonkers now that it's very hard to recommend them. Before this fiasco, customers have had to pay extra for copy protection that didn't work properly and wound up getting removed in a later version and it's always been a bit of a lottery as to when an update comes with a fee. This is just the latest round.

Since the guy clearly doesn't want customers, I feel I should help him by spreading the word on platforms like Reddit, Twitter, other forums, ... :tu:

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:00 pm
4damind wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:51 pm I just noticed that the original developer of Discovery died (?) and so it got more complicated because he doesn't have the necessary DSP knowledge for further development.
Only part of that is true. Discovery Pro has some very nicely done ZDF filters now and has moved on some way from the early days. So the second part of your claim is just made-up.

However, DiscoDSP's business practices are just so bonkers now that it's very hard to recommend them. Before this fiasco, customers have had to pay extra for copy protection that didn't work properly and wound up getting removed in a later version and it's always been a bit of a lottery as to when an update comes with a fee. This is just the latest round.
Fact is: updates are small (usually fixes and little additions) and new release never came out of beta. Bliss is now 4 years old and a real update from 1.2 to 1.5 was in 03/19 and of course existing customers have to pay again.. ..or take the used source code from 2Dat for a new release.. all this is not very convincing.

To make one thing clear i personally dont care if he can code DSP or not but i would feel much better to know he can before he get $29/year for "updates". Thinking about i'm afraid the answer is no.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Ok, the filters were the worst part when I tested the plugin. It was pretty clear that besides importing Midi-Syx (which was also very buggy) the filters had to be improved. Good to read that it has been improved.

To all the other problems... it really seems as if there is no interest to be commercially successful and to have satisfied customers. Maybe DiscoDSP is just a hobby and George still has a real job (but I hope not in customer service :hihi:).

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:28 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:45 am
jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 am Not to jump to the defence of this but on looking at the email from my original purchase back in 2012 I found this...
"The URL is valid until 27-NOV-2012.

Please remember to make a backup copy of the software, e.g. on CD. We may
not be able to provide a new copy of the product you purchased free of
charge, if lost"

Sort of suggests George has not actually changed anything, rather, chosen to take advantage of a condition that he previously let go.
most companies send a time limited link when you buy software, but you always have free access to it if you need it again.
True , but maintaining a server or cloud service costs money and I guess that's only reason why disco dsp is charging for it .
He just can't maintain the free uploads anymore , iow he's doing financially really bad
I truly suspect that this is the gist of it all. He either finds a way to make some income or he closes his business. I'd like to see him succeed. I just wish he'd work "WITH" users to find a workable solution. I personally have no problem with paid updates (as long as I can back them up). I don't expect any company to be able to provide free updates forever. I sometimes think the VST world has become a little spoiled. Things are a lot harder in the iOS ecosystem. Developers there are trying all sorts of ways to make a dime, including subscription business models. But, as I said, I suspect that the gist of this whole debacle is that George is desperately trying to keep his business from failing. I also imagine that the stress of keeping food on the table and the lights working (possibly coupled by depression) would make anyone really hard to live with and get along with. Add to it that the entire business customer base is up in arms with torches and pitchforks and actively storming the castle, and it's got to be nearly unbearable. Before anyone thinks that I'm just siding with George, I want to say that I agree that things could have (and should have) managed better. I didn't like the idea of Challenge/response on the installer. I only quieted down after he showed us how to circumvent it to back up the download. He has apparently been working on this change in business for months--probably hoping that he found a way to keep a steady income coming in, while not costing customers too much. Honestly, I think all of this would have been a non-problem with more communication and kindness. So, over all, I feel sad about the whole thing: George--struggling to make ends meet, and the customer userbase--wanting to get what they feel they were promised. I happen to own a license to Bliss (as mentioned before), and it is the absolute best solution I have found for making SFZ instruments and samples. I use Linux, so the Linux support is also something that I really, really like. So yes, I do have something to lose if George goes out of business. I want him to succeed and still be able to keep the lights on and food on the table. I don't think anyone here is going to argue and say that George is getting rich off of us. Maybe we could ALL try to be a little more compassionate with each other--from both sides of the aisle. Please? :scared:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 pm
They've been shit ever since 'Live at Red Rock' :shrug:
U2 have been shit ever since Bono joined.

lotus2035 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:04 pm
They've been shit ever since 'Live at Red Rock' :shrug:
U2 have been shit ever since Bono joined.
:hihi:

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:43 pm Want to make money and garner good will from this community? Pick a synth that hasn’t been emulated and do a kick ass emulation. Ensoniq and E-Mu are ripe for the pick’n. Make a good virtual Fizmo and we’ll be talking about it for years.
Good luck with that. He picked OB-Xd and in all this time the only thing he managed to do was launching a iOS version (that nobody asked for). Yet the features that have long been requested, like a proper bank and preset manager are still missing. :-(
Fernando (FMR)

IIRC, those are more or less a direct implementation of the filter code from mystran, posted here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=349859

There was a discussion about that some time ago. Not that that is in any way worth criticizing, as mystran obviously posted that code for such a purpose. Just saying that it probably isn't code discoDSP came up with in the first place.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:02 pm .../... Things are a lot harder in the iOS ecosystem. Developers there are trying all sorts of ways to make a dime, including subscription business models. But, as I said, I suspect that the gist of this whole debacle is that George is desperately trying to keep his business from failing.
Why did he jump to the iOS wagon? It was HIS decision. We don't have to pay for HIS bad decisions.

Regarding the cloud costs, he has a domain and Internet service that he has to pay. That usually includes storage space. The software he is selling doesn't take so much space that he has to pay for more, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

I'd like to see more samplesets for Bliss, which could be an ongoing
income stream. Once you have room acoustics and mics, instruments
and players can be borrowed/rented/second hand. A serial-number reg system
is a must-have. Native Access and ilok type solutions are like dancing on eggs
when wearing workboots, not needed for a shop with 10 products
instead of 100's, and moreso for customers.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:35 pm I'd like to see more samplesets for Bliss, which could be an ongoing
income stream. Once you have room acoustics and mics, instruments
and players can be borrowed/rented/second hand. A serial-number reg system
is a must-have. Native Access and ilok type solutions are like dancing on eggs
when wearing workboots, not needed for a shop with 10 products
instead of 100's, and moreso for customers.
Cheers
Agreed!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:23 pm Image
:lol:
Reefius wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 pm Since the guy clearly doesn't want customers, I feel I should help him by spreading the word on platforms like Reddit, Twitter, other forums, ... :tu:
Most companies want to build their business,but that is obviously not the focus at Death Spiral Plugins :wink:
No auto tune...

Insults aren't lucky. Piling on isn't lucky. Stating opinions
without personal attacks, some of which are absurd,
(or absurdly funny) and offering good alternative suggestions
will do more towards encouraging the kind of business decisions
we'll support with our purchases.

People prefer the minimalist product registration and
unfettered access, and I hope that will prevail,
and be beneficial for all in the long run,
encouraging both new products,
and improvements to the existing ones.

Beyond that, we don't know the nature of the
medical issues and expenses being faced by discoDSP.
Hopefully the best years and products are in the future!
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”