NI Summer of sound has begun

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So finally got everything in the KU12 Update installed. A LOT of stuff, but a lot of fun checking everything out.

The new update solved a couple of prior problems. I never could get Komplete kontrol to sync properly in my DAW, or with my S-88 keyboard, for that matter. This time around, everything just clicks the way it's supposed to.

My only real disappointment, minor at that, is that the new Sunburst Guitar (or whatever it's called) is a pattern strum instrument only. Normally I love these--the NI acoustic guitar strummer things are great IMHO--but I had thought that it would be a playable lead instrument as well. Too bad. There some great tones in there.

Still making my way through the new Kontakt "play" series instruments and the Expansions. Cool stuff. Hopefully this will last me until next year's summer of sound release...

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 pm it's not just musical equipment, any niche business has to beat the competition to the customer.
i buy a lot of collectibles, some of which are ordered years in advance of release.
I get that. I don’t have problems with preordering things. It’s just the fact that they made it to look like it’s there and can be delivered instantly. If it was treated a preorder then I’d be totally fine.
I have things that I had to order years ahead as well.

Exactly my feeling as well. Anyway, lesson learned.

NewDelhiTommy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:12 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:31 pm it's not just musical equipment, any niche business has to beat the competition to the customer.
i buy a lot of collectibles, some of which are ordered years in advance of release.
I get that. I don’t have problems with preordering things. It’s just the fact that they made it to look like they have it and they can deliver instantly. If it was treated a preorder then I’d be totally fine.
I have things that I had to order years ahead as well.
not saying they where right, just explaining after it was mentioned that the "music equipment" industry does this, so explaining its any niche business because there are fewer customers. so yes, some do fudge it a bit, and that isn't great as customers.
understanding that they often do it just to stay in business, can ease the annoyance a little :shrug:

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 pm Exactly my feeling as well. Anyway, lesson learned.
should you be busy noodling with blocks or something :hihi:

I'm on K10, looking to upgrade.
I make fairly heavy use of Reaktor and Kontakt - For compatibility with old projects, is it possible to install the v6 versions alongside the older v5's, or do I even need to do that, i.e. older projects will seamlessly load the new versions?
Cheers

as far as reaktor goes i have 5 and 6 installed together :)

I'm still on K10 ultimate but I think I'll just go for the K12 normal upgrade instead as I am apparently allowed to upgrade my old K6 license. This would leave me again with two parallel paths.. the normal Komplete and the Komplete Ultimate path.

To be frank, I would go for K12U as I just love the idea of owning the symphonic series of stuff but I simply do not have the SSD space to pull that off at the moment and I do not feel like reinstalling Windows and everything it entails again (I'm still on Windows 7 due to needing legacy drivers for stuff so it's a real pita to install it on new hardware).
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm
Yeah... i think that explains it. Anyway. Not grumpy anymore, but, it's a pain to wait for something which you usually get instantly.
You could install a few demos of what you plan to use most, they run
30 minutes (kontact 15 minutes) before reloading in a host,
and get a lot of the learning curves flattened a bit,
and hit the ground running on install day(s) :hyper:
Cheers

bmanic wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:05 pm I'm still on K10 ultimate but I think I'll just go for the K12 normal upgrade instead as I am apparently allowed to upgrade my old K6 license. This would leave me again with two parallel paths.. the normal Komplete and the Komplete Ultimate path.

To be frank, I would go for K12U as I just love the idea of owning the symphonic series of stuff but I simply do not have the SSD space to pull that off at the moment and I do not feel like reinstalling Windows and everything it entails again (I'm still on Windows 7 due to needing legacy drivers for stuff so it's a real pita to install it on new hardware).
2 comments just in case they're useful:

I also run a system on an SSD, but all my Kontakt libraries are in a spinning HD. When I built the system I tried to figure out if it could be better to invest some extra money on a 2nd SSD for samples (a SATA drive, no need for NVME) or on more RAM to increase the Kontakt cache. Then I learnt that Kontakt can be tuned to optimize one or the other. And at the end I also discovered experimentally that my mechanical HDD and 16GB of memory were more than enough for many tracks with large libraries so... I am delaying my purchases. Which is so good because DDR4 and SSDs now cost almost 1/2 what they did 10 months ago! Bottom line, perhaps a good mechanical HDD is all you need.

About W7 vs W10 I recently upgraded because it is really difficult (in theory impossible) to install W7 on latest boards. In my case H370 or Z370, my only choice with legacy PCI and support for 8700K. My main interface is an EMU1820! Latest official drivers were for Windows VISTA! They tested the drivers, they were OK for W7. You guess what? The soundcard works 100% under W10-64. Researching the Web for this I learnt that a lot of legacy HW working in W7 without explict support for W10 does work in the newer system.

Thats's just my limited experience.

Thanks for the insight! My main reason for legacy is that the old legacy firewire driver (it's already termed "legacy" in windows 7!!) is what I need to run the Prism Orpheus successfully (texas instruments firewire ports/pci card). I also have an old SCSI interface thing that works with some of my old hardware synths/samplers and that one needs windows 7 drivers (actually they are old legacy XP drivers but work in Windows 7 with some tricks).

I've decided to research Windows 10 thoroughly though because I really do want to run a newer operating system next time as it's such a massive pain in the ass to run Windows 7.. especially as I'm probably going the AMD Ryzen 3 way in 2020 or whatever is the top thing then. I'll also probably end up getting a RME main interface of some sort (UFX? MADI? Who knows..) and then using the Prism Orpheus as a standalone AD/DA converter through it's ADAT interface (8 analogue in/out at high quality).

I'm in no hurry to get the latest and greatest so Komplete 12 will have to suffice. It'll update my most wanted stuff anyhow as I finally would get Kontakt 6 (which some libraries require and more will in the future), Rounds, Massive X and a few other small goodies.. all for about 85 euros according to the NI website. I find this to be an exceptionally good deal. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Any chance of individual instruments (Super 8 ) being on sale soon?

Super-8 was just released.

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:26 pm as far as reaktor goes i have 5 and 6 installed together :)
:tu:

yul wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 pm Any chance of individual instruments (Super 8 ) being on sale soon?
You can use a e voucher to get a discount. That's what I did. I think it was worth it. It's a good VST.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Instruments”