One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction (MSoundFactory Prize added!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
MorphedDreams
KVRer
18 posts since 29 Apr, 2019 from Zagreb, Croatia

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:35 pm

@gone soft, yes it's working, awesome

User avatar
MorphedDreams
KVRer
18 posts since 29 Apr, 2019 from Zagreb, Croatia

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 pm

@gone soft, yes it's working, awesome, thx, now just to figure out how to set the speed correctly

Gone soft
KVRian
939 posts since 3 Oct, 2011

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:15 pm

MorphedDreams wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:36 pm
@gone soft, yes it's working, awesome, thx, now just to figure out how to set the speed correctly
Happy it's working for you. :-) Only thing I know is as would be logical higher percentage = higher speed and below zero negative values give lower speed. But I haven't needed a precise beat value so I haven't taken note of what excact beat/note values are reached at what speed. But try values like 0, 50%, 100%, 150% etc and -50%, -100%, -150% etc and you should hopefully hit something that feels right for what you're after.

Remember there's an option in the modulator to make those random values unique for every target, that is with it on if you modulate for instance pitch and filterfrequency from the same modulator the random values will be different but at the same speed and smoothness for in this case pitch and filterfrequency - could come in handy and practically make one modulator do the job of several as long as they can have the same speed. ;-)

Really tired now, sorry if I could have been clearer and more concise.

User avatar
MorphedDreams
KVRer
18 posts since 29 Apr, 2019 from Zagreb, Croatia

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Thx for help, I wanted to share a little patch that I made, often used in forest psytrance, but kvraudio forum doesn't accept attachment, it says Invalid file extension, well I'm tired too, will try tomorrow ...
Last edited by MorphedDreams on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whywhy
KVRist
322 posts since 11 Aug, 2018

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:12 pm

MorphedDreams wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm
Thx for help, I wanted to share a little patch that I made, seldom used in forest psytrance, but kvraudio forum doesn't accept attachment, it says Invalid file extension, well I'm tired too, will try tomorrow ...
Try to copy/ paste a code text.
Presets in Msf can be a text file. ( in Msf, near the undo,redo, you can copy and paste)

User avatar
MorphedDreams
KVRer
18 posts since 29 Apr, 2019 from Zagreb, Croatia

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:47 pm

here it is, it has to be zipped
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doctorbob
KVRian
1280 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:11 am

Hi
Anyone know why my pitch bend works for one instrument I have and not another? I have set the global pitch bends to the range I require, but on responds, the other doesn't!

Is there a magic switch somewhere which makes the oscillator respond to pitch bend?

dB

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15783 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:26 am

doctorbob wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:11 am
Hi
Anyone know why my pitch bend works for one instrument I have and not another? I have set the global pitch bends to the range I require, but on responds, the other doesn't!

Is there a magic switch somewhere which makes the oscillator respond to pitch bend?

dB
Hey Doc, it sounds like a bug. No reason the pitch bend shouldn't always work.

doctorbob
KVRian
1280 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 am

Hi Steven, welcome back! I'm still here once a month since OSC #61!

I doubt it's a bug, I'll backtrack and see if I can see what's going on.

AHA - fixed it … wrong CC channel!!!! Easy to do - Event List was my saviour!

2 little WIP's …

Mute Trumpet-ish
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwk1waaa061h9 ... T.mp3?dl=1

Sax-ish
https://www.dropbox.com/s/enxz1a7m3nyo3 ... x.mp3?dl=1

All sounds MSF!

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
teilo
KVRist
277 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:50 am

doctorbob wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:11 am
Hi
Anyone know why my pitch bend works for one instrument I have and not another? I have set the global pitch bends to the range I require, but on responds, the other doesn't!

Is there a magic switch somewhere which makes the oscillator respond to pitch bend?

dB
Check the Pitch Bend curve to see if there is something funky with it: Global, Advanced Settings, Controllers, Pitch Bend.

EDIT: Nevermind, then. :wink:
macOS | Ableton 10 | Bitwig 2.x | Reason 10
MPK249 | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | DSAudio all | All TAL synths | Komplete Ult. 11 | Serum | DUNE 2 | Arturia V 6 | Fabfilter Pro all | countless others

doctorbob
KVRian
1280 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 am

@teilo … thanks … my bad - easy to do - you place the pitch bend messages, buT forget to change from "All channels"!!!

The track which "worked fine" when adding extra PB's already had some PB from performance, and they had automagically been set to the correct channel. The second track, which didn't work, was one where I was adding in PB's after the recording. In this case I needed to actually set the channel for the CC lane (in Reaper).

Anyway, all is good.

Thanks for replying …

dB

User avatar
exponent1
KVRist
159 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm

Leonard Bowman wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:31 pm
There's also the ever-asked question of samples and wavetables, etc. There are some features like harmonic analysis in the modal filter and additive oscillator that I think should be safe to use. Any disagreements on that?
@RichardSemper @bjporter, I believe that MSF doesn't come with any factory wavetables, so I assume that the old rule of upto 2 single cycle waveforms is allowed? Also, harmonic analysis in the modal filter is allowed too ?

Request some clarity on the latter point especially, since that feature is quite powerful for synthesizing realistic sounds on its own.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15783 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:45 am

exponent1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm
Leonard Bowman wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:31 pm
There's also the ever-asked question of samples and wavetables, etc. There are some features like harmonic analysis in the modal filter and additive oscillator that I think should be safe to use. Any disagreements on that?
@RichardSemper @bjporter, I believe that MSF doesn't come with any factory wavetables, so I assume that the old rule of upto 2 single cycle waveforms is allowed? Also, harmonic analysis in the modal filter is allowed too ?

Request some clarity on the latter point especially, since that feature is quite powerful for synthesizing realistic sounds on its own.
MSF comes with 16 factory wavetables and you have the ability to create your own as their are options for 8, 40 and 256 waves per table.

User avatar
exponent1
KVRist
159 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 am

wagtunes wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:45 am
exponent1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm
Leonard Bowman wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:31 pm
There's also the ever-asked question of samples and wavetables, etc. There are some features like harmonic analysis in the modal filter and additive oscillator that I think should be safe to use. Any disagreements on that?
@RichardSemper @bjporter, I believe that MSF doesn't come with any factory wavetables, so I assume that the old rule of upto 2 single cycle waveforms is allowed? Also, harmonic analysis in the modal filter is allowed too ?

Request some clarity on the latter point especially, since that feature is quite powerful for synthesizing realistic sounds on its own.
MSF comes with 16 factory wavetables and you have the ability to create your own as their are options for 8, 40 and 256 waves per table.
Thanks! So we'll have some WTs to play with without having to import custom 2 cycle waveforms, which is nice.

RichardSemper
KVRist
477 posts since 30 Oct, 2013 from Stoke On Trent

Re: One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction

Post Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:35 am

Leonard Bowman wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:31 pm
There's also the ever-asked question of samples and wavetables, etc. There are some features like harmonic analysis in the modal filter and additive oscillator that I think should be safe to use. Any disagreements on that?
exponent1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 pm
@RichardSemper @bjporter, I believe that MSF doesn't come with any factory wavetables, so I assume that the old rule of upto 2 single cycle waveforms is allowed? Also, harmonic analysis in the modal filter is allowed too ?
wagtunes wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:45 am
MSF comes with 16 factory wavetables and you have the ability to create your own as their are options for 8, 40 and 256 waves per table.
Certainly, the old rule of up to 2 imported single cycle waveforms per wavetable should apply. This allows scope for much mangling without becoming sample playback machine.

There is a sizeable library of factory waveforms available for the wavetables - all of these should be fair game

On harmonic analysis - so far I do not see a problem with this. There is a sample analysis tool in the oscillator module and elsewhere, but it does not actually play back the samples - it uses them to influence the waveform.
I think as long as we are not trying to use the synth for sample playback we should be in keeping with the 'spirit of the OSC'.

Return to “Instruments”