Softube Monoment Bass: A new bass synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Cyforce
KVRAF
2097 posts since 2 Feb, 2009 from Germany

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:24 am

Is the preset handling still that "bad" or better said uncomfortable as with Modular on the start?
Like it wasn`t possible to save & load presets, except via DAW, which maded it impossible to exchange presets with others :(

sqigls
KVRAF
3803 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Softube Monoment Bass: A new bass synthesizer

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 am

you're better off with saving patches in your DAW format really...
Unless you wanna embed a photo of yourself on holiday and write a little blog to go with it.
It's fuckin whack man.

I've been sending them an email every so often, but more people need to put the boot in.
A simple preset browser, IN the plugin, just TEXT, maybe a "favourites" feature, if they can manage THAT without turning into a webpage... FXP SUPPORT preferably. like pretty much ANY other plugin company manages to do.

Something happened with Softcock sorry Softube. The GUIs are cool as, generally. but this new "we look like every other shitty prefab webpage" look, with the bold strain on the eyes font and the horrible 80's palette. Like it's a HUGE waste of real estate, and VERY POOR design. I just wanna hit the person responsible. Shake em a bit, fuckin WAKE UP... SNAP OUT OF IT... this is an INTERVENTION!!! We've had enough of the GIANT thumbnail stubborn failure of customer relations trip that they seem to be on. AND it took HOW MANY years to get there!? With the giant installers and the Gobbler and the new app bullshit... f**k dude, SURELY it's not a one person company. Surely they can figure this SHIT out?! Do they even USE their own plugins!??? Who needs a family history of a preset, with measurements, turn-ons and the cover photo!? It's a waste of their OWN resources at LEAST... fargin

Stefken
KVRian
1351 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 am

Chill mate. It's not like a crocodile bit you in the foot, is it?

sqigls
KVRAF
3803 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 am

you know me so well

dblock
KVRAF
2238 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:03 am

sqigls wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 am
you're better off with saving patches in your DAW format really...
Unless you wanna embed a photo of yourself on holiday and write a little blog to go with it.
It's fuckin whack man.

I've been sending them an email every so often, but more people need to put the boot in.
A simple preset browser, IN the plugin, just TEXT, maybe a "favourites" feature, if they can manage THAT without turning into a webpage... FXP SUPPORT preferably. like pretty much ANY other plugin company manages to do.

Something happened with Softcock sorry Softube. The GUIs are cool as, generally. but this new "we look like every other shitty prefab webpage" look, with the bold strain on the eyes font and the horrible 80's palette. Like it's a HUGE waste of real estate, and VERY POOR design. I just wanna hit the person responsible. Shake em a bit, fuckin WAKE UP... SNAP OUT OF IT... this is an INTERVENTION!!! We've had enough of the GIANT thumbnail stubborn failure of customer relations trip that they seem to be on. AND it took HOW MANY years to get there!? With the giant installers and the Gobbler and the new app bullshit... f**k dude, SURELY it's not a one person company. Surely they can figure this SHIT out?! Do they even USE their own plugins!??? Who needs a family history of a preset, with measurements, turn-ons and the cover photo!? It's a waste of their OWN resources at LEAST... fargin
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

simmo75
KVRian
1441 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:42 am

Softube have lost the plot, have to agree with you Sqigls.
I can’t f**king tolerate there product videos with that uber Tarquin presenting... “Hi, my names Tarquin Stanley-Smythe, when I’m not out on safari with mummy and daddy, I like to play music time with the loverly chaps from Softlube”...
arghhhhh!!!!

perpetual3
KVRian
807 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:31 am

simmo75 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:42 am
Softube have lost the plot, have to agree with you Sqigls.
I can’t f**king tolerate there product videos with that uber Tarquin presenting... “Hi, my names Tarquin Stanley-Smythe, when I’m not out on safari with mummy and daddy, I like to play music time with the loverly chaps from Softlube”...
arghhhhh!!!!
Absolutely Softube product videos are kaka. And that guy, he doesn’t even do anything really that interesting with the gear, and then piles on the marketing hype.

Even the 6 part Modular series with Kabuki is such a let down.

Yet, the sound quality for most of their products is absolutely spot on. Modular really does have a beefy, dense, full, yada yada sound that can be very pleasing using the basic package, and some of the additional modules are also fantastic - I especially like the Korgamastron filter. Too bad the workflow and CPU usage limits the usage for me.

simmo75
KVRian
1441 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:59 pm

superscan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:11 pm
amwk wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 am
If you have requested a demo (clicking on "Try Now") and got the confirming message, that a trial license was deposited in your iLok account, then you should find the installer under "Not Installed" in the Softube Center menu.
I searched the installer myself for quite some time including opening up Softube Center more than once, but miraculously managed to overlook the menu everytime.
I hope this works for you too.
Thanks, I had already tried that, in parallel keep getting the iLok not connected even though it shows as connected in settings. As for Not Installed, nothing ever shows up. I opened a ticket yesterday, nothing yet. Did a full reboot and had the iLok connected for a while, still no luck. Hours later iLok connection keeps popping up. I think it has something to do with Mojave and allowing permission. When I restated the connection manually one time, it gave me a system prompt to enter credentials.
I'm trying to demo Softlube Tape but am getting exactly the same shit. Did you ever get past the iLok issue? f**king joke this. Mojave too.

superscan
KVRist
193 posts since 2 Aug, 2013 from USA

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:28 am

Yes they did. Support provided a direct link for downloads:

https://www.softube.com/installer-mac
https://www.softube.com/installer-windows

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
8322 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:34 pm

dblock wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:51 am
Those of us who need to produce music quickly count on tools like that. Time is money. :wink:
"Need"? Is someone holding your cat hostage, threatening to kill it if you don't produce one new song every day?
dblock wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am
ok, I'm done. I spent time screwing around this preset window collection nonsense for the last time. The preset window collection thing is a time AND screen waster and makes this a deal breaker for me.
Yeah, it's awful when you can sort by tags or search for names. I don't know why we put up with it!
I just want a simple 1 click browser that opens up the presets like most other plugins out there without this big external box opening up taking up all the screen real estate.
How is it any different to opening I a huge GUI that takes up all the screen anyway? I'm sure Softube were thinking that because the synth has a relatively small GUI, a separate browser window might make sense. My only complaint are the ginormous thumbnails. I'd much rather a simple text list. Beyond that, it's actually not too bad.
To me Softube made a simple thing like scrolling through presets complicated.
Hardly but the thing here is that, unlike a lot of other synths, they made this synth so easy to program they probably figured that most people wouldn't even bother with presets.
Back to Trilian where the sounds are all laid out in front of me in the same window. :dog: :dog:
Fine if you don't want to see the GUI at the same time but with this, I can scroll through presets and see what oscillators they are using as I go, which is a quick and very handy way of working out which of the dozens of oscillators are worth playing around with. I think the floating preset browser is a great idea, it just needs a few tweaks in this instance (resizable and an option to switch off the thumbnails).
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10),Behringer QX1002USB, Cubase Pro 10, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block M, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

dblock
KVRAF
2238 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:44 pm

BONES wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:34 pm
dblock wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:51 am
Those of us who need to produce music quickly count on tools like that. Time is money. :wink:
"Need"? Is someone holding your cat hostage, threatening to kill it if you don't produce one new song every day?
dblock wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am
ok, I'm done. I spent time screwing around this preset window collection nonsense for the last time. The preset window collection thing is a time AND screen waster and makes this a deal breaker for me.
Yeah, it's awful when you can sort by tags or search for names. I don't know why we put up with it!
I just want a simple 1 click browser that opens up the presets like most other plugins out there without this big external box opening up taking up all the screen real estate.
How is it any different to opening I a huge GUI that takes up all the screen anyway? I'm sure Softube were thinking that because the synth has a relatively small GUI, a separate browser window might make sense. My only complaint are the ginormous thumbnails. I'd much rather a simple text list. Beyond that, it's actually not too bad.
To me Softube made a simple thing like scrolling through presets complicated.
Hardly but the thing here is that, unlike a lot of other synths, they made this synth so easy to program they probably figured that most people wouldn't even bother with presets.
Back to Trilian where the sounds are all laid out in front of me in the same window. :dog: :dog:
Fine if you don't want to see the GUI at the same time but with this, I can scroll through presets and see what oscillators they are using as I go, which is a quick and very handy way of working out which of the dozens of oscillators are worth playing around with. I think the floating preset browser is a great idea, it just needs a few tweaks in this instance (resizable and an option to switch off the thumbnails).
I'm glad it works for you. It's just not for me.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Re: Softube Monoment? A new bass synthesizer on the horizon?

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:50 pm

How would you know, did you even listen to it?
detriot wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:51 pm
All hail the new ROMplers :D
Abso-freakin'-lutely! Everything old is new again. If they can do it with wavetable synthesis, why not ROMplers? And this does, in fact, remind me a bit of my beloved Korg MicroX, which had the full Triton ROM in it.
chk071 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:17 am
I really wonder what the point of such "bass synthesizers" is. Bring it on, full synthesizer, you can make any bass you want with that as well. :P
The thing is, though, that just because it says "bass synthesiser" doesn't mean that is all it's good for. Personally, anything that's designed to focus on bass sounds is something that immediately interests me. It means it is likely to have a good bottom end, snappy envelopes and a half-decent filter. With this synth, as with TRK-01 Bass, it's the big, dark leads and pads it can make that I find it most useful for.
Jorgeelalto wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:30 am
zvenx wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:34 am
Softube and their shiny knobs ..... why? :)
Never the less I am sure it is going to be at least very good sounding.
rsp
I personally love the shiny, metal brushed knobs. Looks pretty cool, that aesthetic is beautiful.
Unfortunately, in this case it gets in the way of usability. They should have made the indicator line red or something because it gets lost in the dark part of the reflections.
Cyforce wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:24 am
Is the preset handling still that "bad" or better said uncomfortable as with Modular on the start?
Like it wasn`t possible to save & load presets, except via DAW, which maded it impossible to exchange presets with others :(
Preset handling is fine. You can add, delete and copy presets from within the browser. You can add and delete tags, etc., just like anything else (except DUNE, of course). They even have a star rating system which will put your favourite patches at the top of search or sort results.
sqigls wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 am
The GUIs are cool as, generally. but this new "we look like every other shitty prefab webpage" look, with the bold strain on the eyes font and the horrible 80's palette. Like it's a HUGE waste of real estate, and VERY POOR design. I just wanna hit the person responsible. Shake em a bit, fuckin WAKE UP... SNAP OUT OF IT... this is an INTERVENTION!!!
Really? TBH, it was the slick lookin' GUI that first attracted me to check this thing out. Minor usability issues aside, I quite like it still.

Anyway, what a bunch of whiney little girls you lot are. Three pages of utter bullshit and not so much as a single word about the sound or usability of this instrument. Pathetic, the lot of you.
Last edited by BONES on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10),Behringer QX1002USB, Cubase Pro 10, DUNE, Hive, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Substance, Arcsyn, Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block M, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:30 pm

OK, I think three pages without anything to say about the actual synth is probably enough. After being instantly impressed by the sounds I heard in the demo video, I downloaded it yesterday and spent an hour or so last night going through the presets. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The presets are samey and mostly lacklustre and by the time I'd finished I had decided it wasn't going to be worth buying.

Then I remembered that the guy in the video (who wasn't at all annoying, BTW), had started from scratch so this morning I thought I might do the same. This has made all the difference in the world to me. This thing, while limited in many ways, is a beast! Start with the first preset and you'll see straight away some of the very clever things they have done here. e.g. Every synth I have ever owned or used has had a simple osc mixer to blend the outputs of the oscillators. Monoment has that but it also has the option to use a cross-over so that one oscillator can be your sub with the second oscillator providing all the character above it. It's such an obvious thing but still kinda brilliant. So turn that off and move the mixer all the way to Source A (Osc 1). Now go to the drop-down and start previewing those 2 gigs of sampled content to see just what's actually in there for you to exploit. It's very impressive.

The simplified filter envelope is an interesting thing and I think it's probably the biggest limitation of the synth. It's certainly quick and easy but it limits some of your choices. The filter itself is OK. I really like how big the difference is between the 6 dB/oct and 24 dB/oct modes. It's ostensibly a bass synth so it's low-pass only. The relationship between the cutoff knob and the Env Amount knob is also strange and not at all intuitive. It's almost as if the signals are being multiplied instead of summed because if cutoff is at zero, no amount of env modulation will open the filter. It's easy enough to work with, just a bit strange.

Elsewhere, the Punch control adds real "punch" (unsurprisingly) to the envelope attack for some hard-hitting basslines. The included effects - distortion, reverb, eq, multiband compression and spatialisation all contribute nicely to the polish of the final sound. There is also a kind of third osc that adds analog garbage to the patch and an Age knob that determines how much of it you hear in the output. It's not my thing so I won't say anything about it beyond the fact that it's very subtle.

The preset browser has come in for some (largely unwarranted) criticism but what people don't seem to notice is that it doesn't just open in a new window inside your host, it opens in a new window all of its own. That means you can drag it outside your host and place it anywhere you like, like on a second monitor. That means you can scroll through presets and make tweaks as you go without having to constantly switch between preset view and your main GUI. If they got rid of the large thumbnails in the window, I reckon this browser would be awesome. As it is, it's still very usable.

There are a couple of other downsides. It doesn't respond to anything other than velocity, so you will need to program any movement or expression into it via your sequencer. 5D expression would be awesome but just a bit of mod wheel response would do. Pitch-bend does work but it's utility is minimal, at best. CPU usage is also rather high for a sample-based instrument.

I still haven't made my mind up about this thing. It makes some wonderful noises and it is stupidly quick and simple to use but I am not yet sure whether it does enough to justify it's price tag or the 2GB of drive space it takes up. It is worth digging deeper into, that's for sure, and I have another three weeks until the price goes up before I need to make a decision.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:39 pm

TL;DR version - the presets are rubbish, go through all the oscillator (Source) types and you'll get a much better idea of what this synth can do. It's pretty impressive but has a few limitations that might be deal-breakers for some. I'm still on the fence about it myself.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:40 pm

Had another play with it last night (and then I spent some time working with Monoment Bass) and the more I use it, the more I lean towards buying it. It's got some great sampled sources, I just wish it had a few more modulation options for leads, pads and filter sweep stuff. When tempo-synced, the LFO goes from 1 bar to 4 bars with nothing in between (or slower).

Return to “Instruments”