Your experience with guitar VSTis for hard rock and metal

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
progtronic
KVRian
535 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 am

I'm still using Electri6ity for most of my Metal stuff. I also own some Orange Tree and Impact Soundworks libraries as well.

The Electri6ity guitars just sound like they have a lot more detail per articulation, than the other libraries.. and seems to pull off the Rock/Metal thing much more effectively (for me anyway..).

Here's an Instrumental, Technical Death Metal album, using Electri6ity.. I did a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvBBRy ... YI65EbBOmN
I used all the guitars from the Electri6ity collection on it, over the course of the entire album. I was even able to tweak the hollow body "Jazz" oriented guitars (specifically on the "Masquerade Collapsing" track) into something that would work for Metal. There's just a ton of under the hood tweaking you can do per guitar.. at the cost of a pretty deep learning curve.

jbuonacc
KVRian
538 posts since 8 May, 2006

Re: Your experience with guitar VSTis for hard rock and metal

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:00 pm

progtronic wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 am
Here's an Instrumental, Technical Death Metal album, using Electri6ity..
that's not half bad really (i never expect too much from these things), the guitars actually sound far more natural than the drums.

Benedict
KVRAF
2816 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Here's an Instrumental, Technical Death Metal album, using Electri6ity.. I did a few years ago
That sounds pretty good. I don't care about whether it sounds "real" or not, merely whether it sounds organic in itself.

Sadly I too find the drums detract from that. They seem too bright & cutting so they sit on top of the menace of the guitars and take away from the Story. I know what a nightmare mixing Metal Drums are to get that balance where they are present but not hijacking the mix.

:-)

jbuonacc
KVRian
538 posts since 8 May, 2006

Post Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Benedict wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm
... Sadly I too find the drums detract from that. They seem too bright & cutting ...
they're just "dead, static, fake" sounding. i was recently recording some guitar tracks for a guy who had given me some drum tracks done with one of the stock Ableton kits. sounded like this, totally lifeless/robotic. using the MIDI to trigger NI 'Studio Drummer' (probably the best i've got here, which isn't saying much) made a world of difference, sounded much more realistic and without even tweaking velocity, etc. i was pretty impressed.

progtronic
KVRian
535 posts since 27 Jul, 2010

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:25 am

Regarding the fake drum sound/production.. that's pretty much 'Tech Death' in a nutshell. It's all about the computerized studio trickery. You can youtube "technical death metal" for many similar examples.

I literally had to de-humanize both Superior Drummer and Electri6ity.. a lot.. in order to get a more mechanical (sort of Electronic/Industrial) thing happening. Definitely an acquired taste (sound & production wise), but I think I nailed the genre. 8)

CapnLockheed
KVRAF
2230 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am

Manowar were allegedly a 100% serious band. Never quite sure myself....
These guys are actually from my town Auburn, NY. A bud of mine was their FOH engineer for years. Trust me....THEY took themselves seriously as did their die-hard fans. Most everyone else thought they were a bit of a joke. They were much bigger in Europe than they ever were here. Funny side note.....a lady that works with my wife told that mr. fur underpants the bass player was a catholic choirboy.....he was a very nice boy....he used to cut my grass.

The church excommunicated him for serving in Satan's army. Apparently they took them serious too!! :D :D :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot

CapnLockheed
KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 am

Manowar were allegedly a 100% serious band. Never quite sure myself....
These guys are actually from my town Auburn, NY. A bud of mine was their FOH engineer for years. Trust me....THEY took themselves seriously as did their die-hard fans. Most everyone else thought they were a bit of a joke. They were much bigger in Europe than they ever were here. Funny side note.....a lady that works with my wife told me that mr. fur underpants the bass player was a catholic choirboy....."he was a very nice boy....he used to cut my grass."

The church excommunicated him for serving in Satan's army. Apparently they took them serious too!! :D :D :D
Last edited by CapnLockheed on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

vurt
addled muppet weed
46974 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:30 am

CapnLockheed wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am
Funny side note.....a lady that works with my wife told that mr. fur underpants the bass player was a catholic choirboy.....
i too was a catholic choir boy.
never went for the fur underpants like some of my colleagues though.

Forgotten
KVRian
1093 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:06 am
whats not serious about a man in fur underpants playing the bass?
Personally I find my bass playing suffers in quality without the fur underpants.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 am

Forgotten wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 am
Personally I find my bass playing suffers in quality without the fur underpants.
im equally bad fur or commando.
fans seem to prefer the fur though for some reason...

CapnLockheed
KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:39 am

Huh....turns out they're still touring in Europe....Germans love this shit!! :lol:
I tried the fur....but ended up going with unwashed lederhosen.
Last edited by CapnLockheed on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten
KVRian
1093 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:40 am

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 am
Forgotten wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 am
im equally bad fur or commando.
fans seem to prefer the fur though for some reason...
As I get older the two things get closer to being equivalent...

CapnLockheed
KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:43 am

As I get older the two things get closer to being equivalent...
Sad....but all too true! :D

monomox
KVRist
245 posts since 27 Nov, 2017 from CO, USA

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 am

I'm still using Electri6ity for most of my Metal stuff. I also own some Orange Tree and Impact Soundworks libraries as well.

The Electri6ity guitars just sound like they have a lot more detail per articulation, than the other libraries.. and seems to pull off the Rock/Metal thing much more effectively (for me anyway..).

Here's an Instrumental, Technical Death Metal album, using Electri6ity.. I did a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvBBRy ... YI65EbBOmN
I used all the guitars from the Electri6ity collection on it, over the course of the entire album. I was even able to tweak the hollow body "Jazz" oriented guitars (specifically on the "Masquerade Collapsing" track) into something that would work for Metal. There's just a ton of under the hood tweaking you can do per guitar.. at the cost of a pretty deep learning curve.
Thanks for showing us an example. I wonder how many tracks and videos are out there that use these kind of libraries and we'll just never know.

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm

so long as you don't go to a show expecting an all out riff storm!
then some dude presses play on a laptop :hihi:

Return to β€œInstruments”