Waves Bass Fingers VSTI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thanks, I appreciate it

Finally got the SD samples downloaded and tested for location.
Works now. HD still downloading at acceptable speed; was terribly slow until a little while ago. Since it's already installed, I just need to activate it. So far I only see Install and Activate. Will keep looking.
Bought.
Edit: Activated through Waves Central.
Demo license still shows, so need to see how to delete/de-activate unless Waves does it on their end.
Edit: Looks like they took care of it.
Last edited by Musical Gym on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ummm....wup

I listened to the Waves demo on YouTube, and I thought it sounded like a muddy mess! It may not be the worst I've ever heard, but then again it may be. It sounds like a bass guitar you could stumble across in Synth1, for most of the 20 "variations" they displayed.

To be honest, the demo was awful, and each "variation" flew by too quickly to be fully analyzed or appreciated. But of what they presented, I heard a lot of cheap bass sounds. No meat. No subtleties. Just mindless thump - like from a Gibson EB-0 copy with old worn-out strings and dirty frets. A few of the "variations" might be usable, but again, I couldn't hear them long enough, through enough varied passages to make a determination. I think the point of the YouTube demo was, "It's Waves. Trust us it's good. Just buy it!"

BUT, for the $24 price tag (is that correct?) I think it would fit the bill for many. I'm just not the least bit interested.

And I do think there is plenty of room for bass guitar plugin development - from Chris Squire to Entwistle to Jeff Berlin to Will Lee to Les Claypool to Geddy Lee to Pino Palladino to Jaco to Flea to Chris Wolstenholme (MUSE) there's a lot of iconic bass ground yet to cover! We seem lost in a world of muddy thump or cartoonish slap and pop, IMO.

Sounds really good to me. I think the slap bass might sound better but they're both one of the better bass vst's i've saw yet for live playing and such.

Scifi, I had my doubts about either your ears or your speakers but in the Waves demo, I have to agree it doesn't sound all that great. Kind of midrangey and boomy. Maybe to much compression of the audio.

But on the vid that the two developer guys did(that I listened to first), it sounds really good. I could easily make this work in many projects. Don't like the load times being recorded. I guess I'm not a believer in this super sampling world where every velocity has to have it's own sample.

But great sounding bass. Nice looking interface. Just need patience and RAM.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

Fair enough, musicdoc. Could you provide a link to the video you're referring to so I can hear a better sampling? Thanks!

My POV is, when you string a decent bass with fresh strings (which is how most of my faves play and record) the strings have some bite and life, especially if we're talking about round or semi-round wound strings. And if this sound is too bright or cutting then you can easily EQ (and other means) chop the offending top-end down a bit. But to start off with a tone of cheap pickups and worn-out strings is no way to run a circus, in my book! (But I'll admit I'm partial to more gritty bass tones).

And then there's intentional string slap and buzz (I used to have basses set-up for clean play and sloppy play - I fought the sloppy sounds, but people loved it!?), and pickup brands and types, and pickup locale selection, pick choice (not for "fingers". but you know), there's pick/pluck location, and then bopping the strings (Squire played about 70% upstrokes to get more bop in his sound, which down strokes can't do easily), and mutes, and scale length, and a million other factors in interesting bass tone. I feel bass tone has been greatly ignored, when drum, synth, and guitar subtleties have been poured over ad infinitum.

For example, I played 90% with a pick, but I had half a dozen different types of picks - from hard plastic, hard felt, nylon, rubber, leather, and metallic, etc. and would even whip the ol' digits out from time to time, which I would pluck, slap, bop, and pop - this brought versatility. And then there's string types, and amps and cabs, and all the stuff previously mentioned. There's a whole world of delicious bass tones yet to be explored, IMO.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'd like to see more development in this field. I'd also love to find I was wrong about this Waves Bass Fingers plugin! :)

SciFiArtMan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:43 pm Fair enough, musicdoc. Could you provide a link to the video you're referring to so I can hear a better sampling? Thanks!

My POV is, when you string a decent bass with fresh strings (which is how most of my faves play and record) the strings have some bite and life, especially if we're talking about round or semi-round wound strings. And if this sound is too bright or cutting then you can easily EQ (and other means) chop the offending top-end down a bit. But to start off with a tone of cheap pickups and worn-out strings is no way to run a circus, in my book! (But I'll admit I'm partial to more gritty bass tones).
As a producer, I actually really agree with what you're saying. :)

This why Bass Fingers was recorded with very high end Mayones guitar with great Aguilar pickups, constantly replaced strings and guitar setups, etc.

Or Lubianiker that recorded the samples is pretty meticulous about these things. So I really hope that you get a chance to actually demo the plugin and see if you find the things you appreciate about bass tones in there.

As for the official Waves demo video - I do understand what you're saying about that particular track (which I wasn't involved in). I did watch a great demo done by a player I admire called Darrell Freeman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFha9NEV6g

(Also my demo tutorial is listed above if you're interested in that one, shows more of the 'raw' samples without any effects).
Musician and audio plugins developer. https://www.modalics.com

Thank you for your insight, innervision. Could you please provide a link to your demo tutorial? (I didn't see it). Also, how large (GBs) is this plugin when installed? I didn't realize there was a playable demo - sounds like the best path to understanding.

SciFiArtMan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:42 am Thank you for your insight, innervision. Could you please provide a link to your demo tutorial? (I didn't see it). Also, how large (GBs) is this plugin when installed? I didn't realize there was a playable demo - sounds like the best path to understanding.
There are a couple of sizes there, the HD library is 15.5 GB, and the SD library is about 2.1 GB.
(I personally recommend getting the samples here, and not through the installer:
https://www.waves.com/downloads/sample-libraries)

Also, the plugin bundle itself is about 73MB (on Mac), but keep in mind that there's some shared Waves files on your disk such as the WavesShell, the WavesLib, Waves Central, etc, so that's a few extra hundred MB (not sure exactly how much) if you don't have any other Waves products installed.

As for our 'demo', it's right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODWSQdBd1ds

Ah, MUCH better demo, even if you only displayed one basic sound. The bass sounds much livelier and real here. Several interesting and impressive facets of the plugin's features and playability shown! Intriguing!

SciFiArtMan wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:39 am Ah, MUCH better demo, even if you only displayed one basic sound. The bass sounds much livelier and real here. Several interesting and impressive facets of the plugin's features and playability shown! Intriguing!
Thank you! :) Looking forward to see how you feel after you've played with the demo for a bit!

imagine being so disingenuous that you would trash 25$ software.

Sale ends tomorrow, Sunday, at jrrshop for $21.80 with code FORUM.
Thanks for link to video.
Need to get my head around KS setup as there are so many with only 11 assignable at once.
Are there any pre-mapped KS presets?
Hopefully, they will implement midi out for it to drive other vsts, or at least a record feature with drag to host.

Musical Gym wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:53 am Thanks for link to video.
Need to get my head around KS setup as there are so many with only 11 assignable at once.
Are there any pre-mapped KS presets?
Hopefully, they will implement midi out for it to drive other vsts, or at least a record feature with drag to host.
Yep!
If you go to the save/load menu you can save and load a MIDI map which includes all your CC mappings as well as all the keyswitch settings.

I believe there's only one pre mapped MIDI map (the default...) but of course feel free to make your own.

What I personally like to do is map either a keyswitch or a MIDI CC to the position selector... that's really the best control on the instrument IMO.

Return to “Instruments”