Enveloppes that do not reset the attack

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:42 pm ACE and Bazille have a "singing envelopes" switch.

Diva and both Repros work like this by default.
In Beatzille aswell?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Actually, I spoke too soon. Bazille doesn't have that switch :dog:

Thanks for chiming in Urs! Good stuff absolutely Diva has the leading edge as always! Cheers

yul wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:12 pm So the technical term is RTZ (Reset to Zero)..which I should have remembered from when having my Minilogue. Anyhow, any recommendations on synths that DO NOT reset to zero?
When you say 'reset to zero' i take it to mean the Attack stage of the EG?

So that when the EG is a no-reset type, the Attack stage would start from wherever the decay of the Release stage currently is?

If thats what you mean i can recommend Sonigen Modular because its EG module has a switch that allows to select both modes. When enabled the Attack stage resets to zero whenever a key is pressed, else it will take over the current voltage (read value) from the Release stage and start from there. Sidenote: Additionally you can also enable a 'execute all stages' button which will make the EG run through all stages regardless of when you let go of the key.

Another that comes to mind off the top of my head is Albino3. It has no mode switch, but the Attack always starts from where the decay of the Release stage currently is. (I.e. it does not reset to zero.) Arturias minimoog, dito. And IIRC Arturias Jupiter-8 has a mode switch that allows to select either mode too because the original had it. Thats all i can think of right now, but i know there are many more that dont reset.

EDIT: Says Attack right in the title. Sometimes im not sure where my head is.

Thanks ENV1 for your recommendations...yes I mean envelopes that do not reset in the attack phase.

So it looks like "singing envelopes" is the common term for this. Great name and quite relevant when used on a pitch mod.

So some do and some don't...interesting. There is no better lesser here. It really depends what you are trying to do.

Thanks,

yul wrote: So some do and some don't...interesting.
To make matters even more complicated, there are also some that do it with one EG but not another.

TAL NoiseMaker for instance (mono mode of course) resets the VCF EG but not the VCA EG.

You can therefore keep the loudness kinda 'floating', but the cutoff modulation will always start hard from zero regardless of the VCF EGs Release stage time.

(Of course this can be a good or a bad thing, depending on what youre trying to achieve.)

PS: Another that doesnt reset at all (mono mode) is Arturias ARP 2600.

(I.e. neither the ADSR nor the AD does.)

All Full Bucket envelopes :hihi: do not "reset to zero".

Cheers, Björn

Good old Massive has a "Trg Zero Reset" switch in the 4 envelope generators.

The proper way to handle things BTW is to have a "reset to zero" mode as a trigger option. In an analog envelope you'd need to manually zero ("sync") the voltage stored on the capacitor via a trigger pulse which could be enabled by a switch.

This is just like it's possible to re-trigger the envelope by forcing the flip-flop to reset into the attack stage by applying the re-trigger "trig" pulse.

Synthesizers that do things in any other way are certainly not based upon typical analog subtractives. While they may have elected to arbitrarily name maintaining a continuous state "floating-"whatever, I wouldn't recommend anyone should use such a bogus term because it's confusing.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

yul wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:18 pm Xhip is one of my top go to synths ever and was not able to pick up on this marvelous feature
that's what i call it, pickup mode.

you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Return to “Instruments”