IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6535 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Examigan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:07 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:02 am
Looks like DanceTech did another video, this one on the hi-hats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLW0F97tSBs
Hi Peter,

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread but I just wanted to double-check: Only the drums are modeled (no samples at all) and the cymbals are samples-only? Or is there a mixture of samples and modeling going on for either the drums or cymbals (or both)?

Also I noticed when you select the ride or hi-hat and click Edit Element, those two have an Overhead control in place of the Volume control. I thought it would be cool if all cymbals had that Overhead setting.
The cymbals are sampled, yes. I would LOVE physically-modeled cymbals but that is a huge endeavor. Just watching a slo-mo shot of a single cymbal hit tells me a lot about why that is.

Thanks for the suggestion about the OH setting too.
UNO Synth tutorial videos
Follow IK on Facebook for flash giveaways, exclusives, and more.
Don't need to come out of the woods when everybody knows what's best :)

User avatar
Peter - IK Multimedia
KVRAF
6535 posts since 20 Oct, 2009

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:52 pm
I just happened to notice the price for this thing. $400 for drums?

Surely that has to be a typo.
Surely less snark would have been appreciated. We are a business that does its research and this isn't out of line compared to the competition for what you get (as well as in general what MODO DRUM is worth). Check out the accolades for MODO DRUM, none of which say a thing about the price, current or MSRP. Sorry to sound a bit taken aback, but that's usually my reaction when someone trivializes a very complex and powerful body of work by talented people who have earned my respect for what they do.

You can get the best deal currently with the introductory pricing at $299.99 for the non-crossgrade or $199.99 for the crossgrade version. You can take an additional up to 30% off with JamPoints accrued from other IK purchases.
UNO Synth tutorial videos
Follow IK on Facebook for flash giveaways, exclusives, and more.
Don't need to come out of the woods when everybody knows what's best :)

Scotty
KVRAF
1870 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:28 pm

I am extremely impressed with Modo drums. I just got back from vacation and spent a couple of hours with it. The customization is really in another league well beyond sample libraries for the drums. The loading times are extremely quick and the sound is great. This is a very strong version 1 release. I hope it is a huge success for IK so that they will continue to expand it with additional kits/pieces, production presets and perhaps more grooves. Tomorrow I am going to midi map it to the TD-30 engine and do some triggering work with it. I am also going to explore the possibilities of migrating some of my midi libraries to the Modo drum to see if it can import 3rd party libraries and if so, determine if much conversion is needed OR if I can use a custom drum map in Cubase to make the switch.

Very happy here! Well done IK.
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16728 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:52 pm
I just happened to notice the price for this thing. $400 for drums?

Surely that has to be a typo.
Surely less snark would have been appreciated. We are a business that does its research and this isn't out of line compared to the competition for what you get (as well as in general what MODO DRUM is worth). Check out the accolades for MODO DRUM, none of which say a thing about the price, current or MSRP. Sorry to sound a bit taken aback, but that's usually my reaction when someone trivializes a very complex and powerful body of work by talented people who have earned my respect for what they do.

You can get the best deal currently with the introductory pricing at $299.99 for the non-crossgrade or $199.99 for the crossgrade version. You can take an additional up to 30% off with JamPoints accrued from other IK purchases.
Peter, I assure you I was genuinely stunned at the price. Maybe I'm out of touch with reality as it's been a long time since I bought anything of significance but I paid $300 for Absolute 3 which has, well, you can look it up and see how much it comes with. In fact, with all the high end products I've ever purchased, outside of orchestral libraries which, IMO, are ridiculously priced but if you want that kind of realism don't have much choice, I have never paid that much for anything. Not even Komplete.

So yes, to see a list price for drums (again, maybe I'm just clueless) totally took me back. I was expecting $250 tops.

But maybe I should go look at all the other top drum products and see what their list prices are. Maybe I'll be just as surprised. I don't know.

I will say this much. If these are the most expensive drums on the market, which I suspect that are, I would expect them to be virtually indistinguishable from real drums.

Regardless, it's irrelevant anyway. I simply don't have that kind of money for drums. I could justify it for a good orchestral library. In fact, I just spent $1,300 for Warp IV brass and woodwinds. Nothing out there comes even close to them so if you want the best I guess you have to pay for it.

But again, I assure you, I was not meaning to be snarky. I was truly shocked.

Now I'll go look up the competition and see what they're priced at. Personally, I've never spent more than $179 on drums and that was for EZ Drummer 2. Thus my expectation that MODO Drums would be between $200 and $250 tops. $400 wasn't even a remote consideration. And while I understand with Jam point and crossgrades or whatever you can get this for less, I don't qualify. So for me it would still be $299 with the 20% off right now. Still too rich for my blood.

This is not a knock on the product. MODO Bass is the only bass I even use anymore for non electronic music. There isn't anything on the market even close to it. That's as real as it gets. Drums? As somebody who actually plays the drums, I know that there is no way you get a realistic drum feel out of a VST. It's just not possible. There are too many nuances in the playing. And with the limitations with the cymbals (there are things I simply won't be able to do) well, I'm sure you understand. And don't get me wrong. I'm not 100% content with any drum library I have. But I accept that drums will never be perfect. Given that they can't be perfect, I can't justify spending that kind of money on them.

Anyway, my apologies if I came off snarky. It wasn't my intention. As an owner of Amplitude 4 and MODO Bass I'm certainly a fan and supporter of your company. But $400 list for drums?

Maybe I'm out of touch. And if I am, fine, that's on me.

Anyway, again, I'm sorry. Let me go price stuff.

I might be equally as shocked.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16728 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Well, Superior Drummer 3 is $419 at the site and I don't see any discount other than if you qualify for a crossgrade. So I guess I am in fact out of touch.

Wow, $400 for drums.

Sorry, I don't get it.

User avatar
plexuss
KVRAF
3231 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:45 pm
Well, Superior Drummer 3 is $419 at the site and I don't see any discount other than if you qualify for a crossgrade. So I guess I am in fact out of touch.

Wow, $400 for drums.

Sorry, I don't get it.
BFD3 is $375. And then there are $1000's in libraries you can buy for it. One could easily invest upwards of $5000 MSRP on BFD3 and libraries.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16728 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 pm

plexuss wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:45 pm
Well, Superior Drummer 3 is $419 at the site and I don't see any discount other than if you qualify for a crossgrade. So I guess I am in fact out of touch.

Wow, $400 for drums.

Sorry, I don't get it.
BFD3 is $375. And then there are $1000's in libraries you can buy for it. One could easily invest upwards of $5000 MSRP on BFD3 and libraries.
Holy crap. I have no words.

Scotty
KVRAF
1870 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 pm

At the entry price it is competing with the flagship drum software for sure but in my opinion it is fairly priced. It belongs in that league. For those of us who can upgrade or cross grade and maybe use some Jam Points (wasn't allowed for the Modo Bass crossgrade price) it can be had for under $200 which is really quite a great value in my view.
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16728 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Scotty wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:07 pm
At the entry price it is competing with the flagship drum software for sure but in my opinion it is fairly priced. It belongs in that league. For those of us who can upgrade or cross grade and maybe use some Jam Points (wasn't allowed for the Modo Bass crossgrade price) it can be had for under $200 which is really quite a great value in my view.
What exactly do you need to have to qualify for an upgrade or crossgrade? Or can you point me to where it's explained?

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16728 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Well, I just logged into the site and the price changed to $199. Now I'm really stunned and actually considering getting this.

But here's what I still don't understand. If you can get this for so little, why show a price of $400. That's going to turn a lot of people off, like it did me.

I understand the whole discount thing to make people think they can get a great deal but man, that initial price tag is a shocker.

Anyway, is there a demo to download or do you just have to get it and hope it works? I always worry that my system or DAW won't be able to handle it and then without a demo I'm out of luck. There are only 2 things I bought without having a demo (Omnisphere and Falcon) and I held my breath both times.

triggerthehorizon
KVRist
192 posts since 18 Jan, 2013 from Canada

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:28 pm

I have an I7 3770 and it works fine

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16728 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 pm

triggerthehorizon wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:28 pm
I have an I7 3770 and it works fine
I too have an I7 3770. What DAW are you using? I'm on a pretty old version of Cubase (7).

triggerthehorizon
KVRist
192 posts since 18 Jan, 2013 from Canada

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Studio One 4.5

It works flawlessly in the DAW or in stand alone

Scotty
KVRAF
1870 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Wags if you own Modo Bass and you log in you should qualify for $149.00 USD which is what I paid. I couldn't apply Jam points which is fair enough given the reduction.

Regarding the list price I think it makes complete sense for IK to have the full price listed at that level. It is competing with the top tier of the market and the perception of value would be reduced if people saw it sitting somewhere between EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer/BFD 3. It on par with Superior/BFD in many aspects and better in several other areas in my opinion (subjectivity acknowledged).
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
16728 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Scotty wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 pm
Wags if you own Modo Bass and you log in you should qualify for $149.00 USD which is what I paid. I couldn't apply Jam points which is fair enough given the reduction.

Regarding the list price I think it makes complete sense for IK to have the full price listed at that level. It is competing with the top tier of the market and the perception of value would be reduced if people saw it sitting somewhere between EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer/BFD 3. It on par with Superior/BFD in many aspects and better in several other areas in my opinion (subjectivity acknowledged).
When I log in it shows $199. I do own MODO Bass and Amplitude but $199 seems to be as low as it goes for me.

Return to “Instruments”