IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

insta buy for me with the modo bass discount, and I love modo bass. We shall see how much I end up loving it, I needed more drums like I need a hole in my head....but I am definitely intrigued and perhaps the modeling can be used to create artificial yet cool sounding percussive sounds too, we shall see.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

:shrug: :shrug: Gonna pass on this. It’s an over saturated market already and I prefer single shot wav samples arranged in my daw. Each to their own.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:02 pm Okay, I watched what videos (2) are available (unless I'm missing some). Here's my question.

There are 10 kits that are modeled. What if I want to sound like Stewart Copeland's Tama kit, especially that snare sound? I don't see anything in the models that comes close.

So again, we're still limited to the kits that are modeled. We can't exactly model a specific kit if it's not one of the 10 modeled kits.

Okay, so if I'm wrong, what am I missing?

Here's Stewart Copelands SC145.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliwSfyA1WQ

Let me hear MODO Drums do this and you've sold me.
That looks like shallow steel shell snare drum, tuned fairly high, tight tension on the snares. I'm sure MODO DRUM could get you there. It's not super unique compared to what's available in MODO DRUM aside from being a specific brand.
Fair enough Peter. Anyway I can actually get to hear it?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 pm Thanks. Correction to my previous post, though, with regard to "nothing else than some mathematical equations". We are able to blend some samples with the modeling on the drums too where appropriate to achieve the best most realistic representation of the settings you choose. Sorry about that, was being too concise and missed a note about the progress of MODO DRUM as it moves toward release.
Well, it’s still a major step forward in the big scheme of things. I’m approaching these things both as a practical (?) and professional (?) music producer, and as a little kid who is really excited about technology and cool stuff. Can’t wait to try it!

requests:

An SE version bundled with UNO Drum. The fullmealdeal
will be overkill for me by itself, as is UNO Drum by itself,
but together, I think there could be a $weet $pot :hyper:

(An unbundled SE would also be great with the UNO synth arpeggiator,
which already gets lots of use on the drum sounds I have here)

Ability to use the mixer/effects with sounds input from ST4/A4!!!

Modeling and choices of various strikers, brushes, mallots etc

Using pause and slo-mo on the demo vids gives a good feel
for what's coming.
Cheers

Even if only the cymbals are sampled, it's still an acceptable compromise between sampled and fully modeled drums.

Nothing is perfect. MODO BASS isn't 100% perfect but it's far, far better than any sample library bass. And that's why I own it.

Now that I have both the bass and the drums I'll be able to start getting work done.

Still waiting for the guitars but I am sure they will come soon.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

ramseysounds wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:44 pm :shrug: :shrug: Gonna pass on this. It’s an over saturated market already and I prefer single shot wav samples arranged in my daw. Each to their own.
It might be an "oversaturated" market but there is always room for improvement. The virtual bass and virtual guitar markets are "saturated" as well...but there are diamonds and there are cubic zirconia. The MODO line are diamonds as far as I'm concerned. They save space and provide more realism - especially the basses. But the drums will too. I'd estimate they will save me around 80GB of hard disk space.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Captain wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:01 pm Well, it’s still a major step forward in the big scheme of things. I’m approaching these things both as a practical (?) and professional (?) music producer, and as a little kid who is really excited about technology and cool stuff. Can’t wait to try it!
Thanks! Any sampling used alongside the modeling would be minimal and logical. Doing things that make sense for the quality and usability of the tool was paramount here, it isn't for any "lazy" reason and isn't excessive. It serves the end purpose of MODO DRUM and in context of the whole.

Though you have a whole mix of contexts there, good to see excitement and general tech interest intertwined with the practicality. :)
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:02 pm Okay, I watched what videos (2) are available (unless I'm missing some). Here's my question.

There are 10 kits that are modeled. What if I want to sound like Stewart Copeland's Tama kit, especially that snare sound? I don't see anything in the models that comes close.

So again, we're still limited to the kits that are modeled. We can't exactly model a specific kit if it's not one of the 10 modeled kits.

Okay, so if I'm wrong, what am I missing?

Here's Stewart Copelands SC145.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eliwSfyA1WQ

Let me hear MODO Drums do this and you've sold me.
That looks like shallow steel shell snare drum, tuned fairly high, tight tension on the snares. I'm sure MODO DRUM could get you there. It's not super unique compared to what's available in MODO DRUM aside from being a specific brand.
Fair enough Peter. Anyway I can actually get to hear it?
I do indeed hope that's a fair approach - that's how I'd approach the objective you mention, though there are still some tweaks between and after those steps I'm sure.

Currently the videos available on the MODO DRUM product pages, and then we'll get to releasing this as soon as we can.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twitewhite wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 pm
mladi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 am "combination of modal synthesis and advanced sampling"

Hmm. ..not really interested anymore.
Only sampled portions are cymbals. All drums in MODO DRUM are physically modeled.
That's a disappointment, as generally everything but the cymbals are good enough sampled. It's the cymbals/hi-hats and specifically how they interact with previous hits that usually gives away the fact that it's a sample, not the real drum sound.
BFD3 has modeled (no one has defined this and we've beat it around a bit here) cymbal swell for some years now, and Superior Drums has something as well. Your point is pretty well mooted by this at least in the BFD3 usage I'm familiar with for a few years now.

Modeling cymbals themselves with no sampling would be quite suspect to me: I implied earlier that it's a combo of modeling and samples that is required.
I'm kind of interested now.

MODO DRUM page is an error here
n/m. the one in the OP loads

benjamind wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 pm Even if only the cymbals are sampled, it's still an acceptable compromise between sampled and fully modeled drums.

Nothing is perfect. MODO BASS isn't 100% perfect but it's far, far better than any sample library bass. And that's why I own it.

Now that I have both the bass and the drums I'll be able to start getting work done.

Still waiting for the guitars but I am sure they will come soon.
Regarding the "fully modeled drums": It seems you overlooked an important detail lately. :hihi:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I think the demos sound very promising! This was an insta buy for me, especially based on the previous quality of MODO Bass.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:52 am I think the demos sound very promising! This was an insta buy for me, especially based on the previous quality of MODO Bass.
I am almost there but I need to know how it integrates with electronic drum kits. I don't like to finger drum acoustic style drums...I like the feel of sticks for that.

Scotty wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:54 am
deastman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:52 am I think the demos sound very promising! This was an insta buy for me, especially based on the previous quality of MODO Bass.
I am almost there but I need to know how it integrates with electronic drum kits. I don't like to finger drum acoustic style drums...I like the feel of sticks for that.
I suck at drumming. I’ve actually had it on my list for years now to get an electronic kit so I could practice without my family killing me. For now, I’ll have to make do with the included MIDI patterns, and also mapping it to be controlled by Jamstix.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”