Which drum synth do you recommend

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:35 am
ramseysounds wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:15 am Seems to be a bit off topic here. Typical KVR thread, disintegrating into 2 people arguing the toss :roll:
I think it's more interesting than dozens of people just throwing out the same list of plugins that you can find with a google search.
the important part is helping kevv find a drumsynth
after all this time hes got to be pretty picky
about it
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Soniccouture have a half off sale at the moment, may be worth looking at their Electro-Acoustic Kontakt instrument if you are mainly after very tweakable classic drum synth sounds. You get a little extra with their inbuilt beat tools such as the Euclidian beats and can drag resultant MIDI clips directly into your DAW. I've seen the debate in the thread about why not use a full synth or modular system, but this is ideal for knocking up some beat ideas quickly.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I think their Konkrete library is actually more interesting.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention MDrummer yet in this thread. It can do pretty much everything: samples, synthesis, drumkit creation, pattern creation, lay out an entire song's worth of percussion in the plugin itself. Pricey, but you can get it close to the price of a lot of the other main synths on the market if you wait for their every-so-often sales on it. Aside from using its internal sequencer to drive Battery, it's pretty much supplanted everything else I've used for drums (with the exception of microtonic, simply because it was my first drum synth and the one I know inside and out - MDrummer is one of those plugins that could probably have a series of university courses just to cover all of its details).

Stefken wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 am I think their Konkrete library is actually more interesting.
Yeah, it has some character in both the sequencers and the samples. I really like SC's sampling. Because it's Kontakt, you can use the sequencers with other plugins as well.

Another honorable mention sequencer (and sampler) which, unfortunately, does not generate midi is AIR's Strike. What I like about strike is that it has controls to modify the flavor of the sequence, e.g, complexity. This makes for a simple way to use modulation to change up the sequence without faffing about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM81Eud ... uU&index=2

Strike is pretty cool.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 am
Lotuzia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:39 am
david.beholder wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 am
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:10 am Does Stix require iLok?
Yes, unfortunately.

From site: Protection iLok (iLok1, iLok 2 and Soft), USB-eLicenser
Soft Ilok is nearly identical to NI service center, Arturia/wave systems, and, more generally, all c/r systems though (i.e thousands of thousands of users), and less restrictive than cloud services (Roland etc). And of course it doesn't require an hardware dongle.
Bullshit, and I don't say that lightly. Look, don't get me wrong, I f**king love my iLok stuff, but a dongle is necessary to get the proper value from iLok. NI is nothing like soft-iLok. NI is supportive, available, responsive, and not uptight. The most common problems with iLok revolve around soft-ilok and the hoops people have to jump through to fix problems.

NI is far less heavyweight than iLok.

Get the dongle, and stop trusting your licenses to something that is super volatile, your computer, or, don't bother with iLok and use C/R protection that is, at least, backed by a big company that isn't quite so uptight.

Dongle iLok: Highly recommended
NI C/R: Highly recommended
Soft iLok: Absolutely not recommended
i havent had any probs with the software service ilok from xils. neither by downloading nor by installing nor by running it for downloads and updates.
on the other hand the ni center is a pain in the ass updater compared to it.

i wouldnt have touched stix if it would have had usb dongle ilok only, nor any other xils synth. so it was relief to get it via softlok

;;;;;
@topic
i recommend
microtonic
stix
heartbeat
geist

If you donˋt mind 32bit then try BONG from xoxos. Received an e-Mail today that it is now free (was 25$ in the past).

It is still my goto synth drum plug-in since release. XOX and boss dr 110 sounds plus some wicked other stuff. 41 different models. And Multi Audio out.

But it has no sequencer.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Halma wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:03 pm If you donˋt mind 32bit then try BONG from xoxos. Received an e-Mail today that it is now free (was 25$ in the past).

It is still my goto synth drum plug-in since release. XOX and boss dr 110 sounds plus some wicked other stuff. 41 different models. And Multi Audio out.

But it has no sequencer.
Downloaded and tried it yesterday. Really like it :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:22 am Another honorable mention sequencer (and sampler) which, unfortunately, does not generate midi is AIR's Strike. What I like about strike is that it has controls to modify the flavor of the sequence, e.g, complexity. This makes for a simple way to use modulation to change up the sequence without faffing about.
Strike's sequencer with its complexity control is fantastic. I would pay money for a standalone version of that with MIDI out for controlling other drum synths.

With regard to midi out from e.g. the Tremor sequencer.
Has anybody a working solution in Ableton Live (Ableton or Max device) to change an incoming midi note to another note when you need another note to trigger the desired sound in the target drum synth.
Say Tremor sends out a C#1 for the snare, but I need a D1 to trigger the snare in Punch for example.
So I need to change the note coming into the target drum synth from C#1 to D1.

In Ableton you can 'redirect' notes with the scale midi effect but it's limited to one octave.
There is a global transpose function in the scale midi effect, so I thought I could insert a second scale midi effect and transpose this one with one octave to also cover notes higher up. Yet putting them in series doesn't give the result that I want .

Edit: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... ote-mapper was exactely what I was looking for.

And a vote for Rob Papen's Punch.

With regard to actual synthesis i think LinPlug deserves a mention.

RMIV for instance has a pretty good set of drum synth modules, (11 in all), consisting of 2 different Kick generators, 2 different Snare generators, Tom generators, Hat generators, Cymbal generators, Clap generator, etcetera. So as far as actual drum synthesis is concerned id say its a pretty complete package. Of course it supports samples too, (which is probably how most people use/used the plugin), but its not mandatory to use any, i.e. you can use the plugin to make completely synthesized kits too if thats what you want.

And IIRC the modules in RMV (i.e. the successor to RMIV) are even better. I believe there was also a new module that RMIV didnt have, something like a generic synthesizer that wasnt dedicated to a specific type of percussion. Its been a while since i checked it out, but from what i can remember it was all rather solid and would have been an excellent choice if you wanted a comprehensive drum synth package.

(Of course it seems like overkill using RMV for only that purpose because all the additions since RMIV are more or less only beneficial to the samples part of the plugin. But the synthesizing functionality is there and i remember the modules to be even better than those in RMIV, so if you wanted a decent set of synth drums RMV would still be a good choice because the features pertaining to samples can simply be ignored.)

PS: A somewhat simpler variant of all this (featuring 12 modules) exists as CM-505, which only has the synth modules but no sample support. It also lacks the onboard MIDI player and the other extras like compressor, multi-mode filter with EG, effects, mod matrix, etcetera. Its still not bad though because you can still make a wide variety of synthetic drum sounds with it. (Especially oldschool stuff.)

Yes CM 505 is pretty cool :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

- Kick 2
- microtonic
- Stix
- Bong
- Ephemere

By the way can someone point me to any resource to create my own drumsynth modules in a modular environment.
Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”