Which drum synth do you recommend

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:30 pm
kevvvvv wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 pm I've no experience of drum synths much beyond pad-triggered sample players (battery, impact, BFD).

But last week I got 2together Audio's Kick Synth, really like it, and want more of everything!!!

I'd like to hear which drum synth you prefer.

I'm more interested in a comprehensive staple drum synth that'll last, rather than a cool but limited gadget.

Maybe with multichannel outs, midi import/export, bags of presets, nice tweakability

Your thoughts welcome :)
you have Dune3 right?

perfect for any type of drum sound

some good presets included as ideas/start points

one shot WT mode for transients (included in factory bank) , and 8 layers to sculpt the sound

no multi out, but a drum sound uses f-all cpu, so you can easily build a decent kit

Rob Papen Punch
https://www.robpapen.com/punch.html

Best drum mashine.

When ppl recommend a regular synth - Dune e.g. - to use as a drum synth, isn't it overlooking the fact that when most ppl say drum synth, they mean multi-timbral and easy to use, rather than having to set up individual tracks.

Or am I missing something here?

Best drum machine for me is Geist 2 but clearly not a synth.

Would like to get Drumvolution second hand but still too pricey on KVR.

* Roland cloud TR-808 and 909.

* Wavealchemy Drumvolution and Revolution which are sample based but with a nice sequencer.
Samplebased, so less usefull for the OP but may be interesting for someone else.

samsam wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:56 pm When ppl recommend a regular synth - Dune e.g. - to use as a drum synth, isn't it overlooking the fact that when most ppl say drum synth, they mean multi-timbral and easy to use, rather than having to set up individual tracks.

Or am I missing something here?

most ppl may do, but the OP specifically said....

kevvvvv wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 pm
Maybe with multichannel outs, midi import/export, bags of presets, nice tweakability
... hence my recommendation

Drumatic 4 by e-phonic is well worth checking out. Great drum synth and excellent price.

kevvvvv wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 pm I've no experience of drum synths much beyond pad-triggered sample players (battery, impact, BFD).

But last week I got 2together Audio's Kick Synth, really like it, and want more of everything!!!

I'm more interested in a comprehensive staple drum synth that'll last, rather than a cool but limited gadget.

Stix by XILS-lab.

the most powerful and flexible drum-synth around.
At the end of the day you'll end up taking that one..trust me :-)

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 am
Lotuzia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:39 am
david.beholder wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 am
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:10 am Does Stix require iLok?
Yes, unfortunately.

From site: Protection iLok (iLok1, iLok 2 and Soft), USB-eLicenser
Soft Ilok is nearly identical to NI service center, Arturia/wave systems, and, more generally, all c/r systems though (i.e thousands of thousands of users), and less restrictive than cloud services (Roland etc). And of course it doesn't require an hardware dongle.
Bullshit, and I don't say that lightly. Look, don't get me wrong, I f**king love my iLok stuff, but a dongle is necessary to get the proper value from iLok. NI is nothing like soft-iLok. NI is supportive, available, responsive, and not uptight. The most common problems with iLok revolve around soft-ilok and the hoops people have to jump through to fix problems.

NI is far less heavyweight than iLok.

Get the dongle, and stop trusting your licenses to something that is super volatile, your computer, or, don't bother with iLok and use C/R protection that is, at least, backed by a big company that isn't quite so uptight.

Dongle iLok: Highly recommended
NI C/R: Highly recommended
Soft iLok: Absolutely not recommended

i use the soft ilok and all is well. suits my needs (one mac,no needed usb port). not sure what problems you (or others) might have with it, but fine here.

fisherKing wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Yes, unfortunately.

Soft Ilok is nearly identical to NI service center, Arturia/wave systems, and, more generally, all c/r systems though (i.e thousands of thousands of users), and less restrictive than cloud services (Roland etc). And of course it doesn't require an hardware dongle.
Bullshit, and I don't say that lightly. Look, don't get me wrong, I f**king love my iLok stuff, but a dongle is necessary to get the proper value from iLok. NI is nothing like soft-iLok. NI is supportive, available, responsive, and not uptight. The most common problems with iLok revolve around soft-ilok and the hoops people have to jump through to fix problems.

Get the dongle, and stop trusting your licenses to something that is super volatile, your computer, or, don't bother with iLok and use C/R protection that is, at least, backed by a big company that isn't quite so uptight.

i use the soft ilok and all is well. suits my needs (one mac,no needed usb port). not sure what problems you (or others) might have with it, but fine here.
That's what everyone says until it doesn't work.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:01 pm
Yes, unfortunately.

i've been using the software version for years (since first became an option), and it's fine. if you look at any software, you can say the same thing: "That's what everyone says until it doesn't work."

we all don't have the same issues, or experiences! (just saying...)

sfd wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Stix by XILS-lab.

the most powerful and flexible drum-synth around.
At the end of the day you'll end up taking that one..trust me :-)
I think Stix could be a really good drum synth but it’s workflow sucks for me, it’s all too fiddly.
I’d try Microtoniq, save yourself $100 and have fun programming it.

fisherKing wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:01 pm
Yes, unfortunately.

i've been using the software version for years (since first became an option), and it's fine. if you look at any software, you can say the same thing: "That's what everyone says until it doesn't work."

we all don't have the same issues, or experiences! (just saying...)
There is no way that you can equivocate NI's system with soft-ilok. The failure mode is what defines the difference. It doesn't matter how long you've been using it without failure. That any software fails is not the point. You cannot say that the vendor will be indifferent to your needs about any software, some vendors are better than others. If you want to store your licenses on a machine that has many points of failure, knock yourself out, but your datapoint does not mitigate the failure and hassle that other people have had to deal with.

I have had hard drive and SSD failure over the years. That is something that happens, you can mitigate it, but it's simply a matter of time before you have an unexpected failure. It's not a problem with hardware iLok, it is with soft iLok. Yes, dongles can fail, but the likelihood is lower and there are ways to mitigate that.

Haven't we had this copy protection/dongle conversation like...a gazillion times already?

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:43 pm Haven't we had this copy protection/dongle conversation like...a gazillion times already?
Yes, yes we have. We will continue to have it as long as people say things that aren't true, like soft-ilok is basically the same as NI's system. That's not even true from a functionality POV. With NI's system there is no need to transfer your license from an old computer to the cloud before authorizing a new computer, in fact, there's no mechanism for that at all.

Return to “Instruments”