Massive X - the thread

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
glokraw
KVRAF
6923 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:55 pm

For some minority of users, the installer (native access)
is not stable, and can wreck a purchase, and thus make future
purchases requiring native access uninstallable until fixed.

Because native access auto-updates, without an option
to keep a currently working version, switching from
the happy majority, to the damaged minority can happen
with a mouseclick.
Keep your luck well backed up :wink:

Stefken
KVRian
1351 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Apps you don't want to install, you don't click on install and apps you don't want to update , you don't click on update.
:shrug:

If you can't handle that, than you don't want to do custom installs.
For example Tones kicks everything in the directory you specify without making a specific directory per application.
So, if you specify your main vst directory without manually creating a directory for your application, he kicks the 'root directory' of your plugins full with a whole lot a files, making a mess of things. And that's just one application.
That also comes with more control: that you can mess things up.

So it's a trade-off. The installer of NI works fine. You can't specify a custom directory for a Kontakt library (I have most of them on my D drive), but it's pretty easy to move them afterwards.

glokraw
KVRAF
6923 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm

You forget that you can't start native access, without
triggering an available auto-update.

If there is a way, or a successful workaround,
I'd love to read about it.

So for the minority who temporarily can't launch native access,
any chat about custom installs, and insistance
that native access works fine, is absurd.

Reefius
KVRian
663 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm


User avatar
pixel85
KVRian
524 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 am

Reefius wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm
Just to be clear :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_SCLyHiSfg
Wait... so harmonics are not aliasing? It's not what they told as in 'youtube academy of sound engineering, dsp and acoustics'! Shocking! :wink:
don't use plugin/s in this topic! It has aliasing at -196dB and 60fps

chk071
KVRAF
20836 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:33 am

Been saying that since pretty much the beginning this popped up...

Damn influencer and misinformer these days. ;)

User avatar
McLilith
KVRAF
1796 posts since 7 Jul, 2003 from Huntington, WV

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:27 am

Reefius wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm
Just to be clear :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_SCLyHiSfg
You would think that would settle things, but Sadowick is in the comment section of that video, still insisting that with Massive X "theres [sic] band-limiting problems everywhere".

No matter how many times I've seen people poke very logical holes in his wild assertions, I've never noticed Sadowick admit to making any errors in his videos that allege aliasing problems in Massive X. He just seems to dig in deeper, every time flaws are pointed out in his videos.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
46974 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:35 am

McLilith wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:27 am
Reefius wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm
Just to be clear :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_SCLyHiSfg
You would think that would settle things, but Sadowick is in the comment section of that video, still insisting that with Massive X "theres [sic] band-limiting problems everywhere".

No matter how many times I've seen people poke very logical holes in his wild assertions, I've never noticed Sadowick admit to making any errors in his videos that allege aliasing problems in Massive X. He just seems to dig in deeper, every time flaws are pointed out in his videos.
post truth era. just dig in, enough people will think you're being censored and continue their support.
see q-anon.

recursive one
KVRAF
3940 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 am

McLilith wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:27 am
Reefius wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm
Just to be clear :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_SCLyHiSfg
You would think that would settle things, but Sadowick is in the comment section of that video, still insisting that with Massive X "theres [sic] band-limiting problems everywhere".
If it sounds good, it's good? Massive X sounds very good to me.

Actually some of the classic digital harwdare had aliasing despite of band-limiting and yet it sounded good (and still does). I'm not really good at analysing synths, identifying aliasing and other "mathematically incorrect" behaviour but isn't it ultimately a part of what defines the character of a synth? (Something which is IMO lacking a bit in the modern generation of soft-synths).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

perpetual3
KVRian
807 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 am

Deja vu

recursive one
KVRAF
3940 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:09 am

Yes, these aliasing debates are recursive and perpetual
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
46974 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:13 am

:hihi:

perpetual3
KVRian
807 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:13 am

recursive one wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:09 am
Yes, these aliasing debates are recursive and perpetual
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

User avatar
McLilith
KVRAF
1796 posts since 7 Jul, 2003 from Huntington, WV

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:16 am

perpetual3 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:13 am
recursive one wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:09 am
Yes, these aliasing debates are recursive and perpetual
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Thank you, Recursive and Perpetual, for providing a beautiful example of "life imitating art"! :hihi:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRian
1093 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Massive X - the thread

Post Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:46 am

McLilith wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:16 am
perpetual3 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:13 am
recursive one wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:09 am
Yes, these aliasing debates are recursive and perpetual
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Thank you, Recursive and Perpetual, for providing a beautiful example of "life imitating art"! :hihi:
What were we discussing again...?

Return to “Instruments”