I have Avenger, Dune. What next?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did you try Massive X? It's not perfect, but... a very good sounding, and versatile synth.

Iris 2 is pretty different from what you have already, and it's often on sale

Hive 2
Zebra -> with the upcoming Zebra 2 in mind

Wait for black friday and get Hive2 or Pigments,
check this vid:
https://youtu.be/7EAM-ihLd_Y

dune_rave wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 pm Wait for black friday and get Hive2 or Pigments
I don't think U-he do Black Friday sales do they?

Worth getting at full price IMO though.

kevvvvv wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pm What do you suggest I look at?
Your computer screen and make some damn music with those two.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:24 pm
dune_rave wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 pm Wait for black friday and get Hive2 or Pigments
I don't think U-he do Black Friday sales do they?
Nope. No sales.

My vote would be for Hive2 as well. I can't think of a synth that balances sound quality, features, workflow and performance as well as it does! The new UI is really nice too :D

There's also the MSoundFactory Beta which came out recently - but you've missed the intro price. It's not for everyone but I had a lot of fun making sounds for the recent One Synth Challenge.

I also considered Pigments 1.2, Massive X, Phase Plant and Rapid but am more than content with Hive2 at the moment!
There's also Unfiltered Audio's Lion synth coming out soon that they've been teasing.
(and I'm still waiting for Sumu, shhhh)

chk071
Did you try Massive X? It's not perfect, but... a very good sounding, and versatile synth.
I watched 3 reviews last night, and each explained in various ways how MX sucked due to lack of visual feedback. I never used my Massive 1, so it's a bit of a risk in terms of the time I might need to put into it

But I'm glad you like it.

@dune_rave
Pigments? Brillant video. Love those Random function. V cool. On my list. Cheers.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I chose Hive 1 (2) over Dune 3. I can't recommend Hive 2 enough if you don't mind some overlap, but different. If you want to go a very different direction, there's Pigments, Legend (8 voice polyphony recently), bx_oberhausen (if you can get it on sale else skip it). Or not new but different direction: Diva or Repro (or TAL). Or go specialized with FAW Sublab. Lots of quality choices these days.

I played around with Massive X (I own it), but am going to wait until it's updated until I really try to get into it.

jeffb01 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:40 pm You're pretty set. You are missing a good FM synth.

Bazille (unique modular style - not a straight forward FM synth but an amazing synth that has lots of happy accidents)

I also love Pigments. Pigments and Avenger are my favorite synths. though there is some redundancy with Dune and Avenger, it is such a pleasure to work in.
We have the same taste. Must be why I seem to see your username almost everywhere I go on KVR :lol:

To the OP... I own about 25-30 VSTi. I enjoy the variety and the inspiration that it offers sometimes, but when I actually have an idea in mind that I just want to realize, I stick to Avenger about 95% of the time. It's fast and easy to use, the GUI is extremely logical and packs a million features into limited space, it sounds good and it does practically everything I can think of.

So just thinking about plugins I go for that can do things that Avenger doesn't specifically do...

Harmor is unique in its purely additive engine and the ridiculously microscopic control it offers, right down to editing the phase and pitch shift amount of individual unison voices. It's an absolutely crazy sound design tool

I tend to use u-he Repro or Diva a lot when I want a bassline that needs to be FAT and weighty instead of having a million modulations/effects on it. Honorable mention to Ableton's Analog/AAS Ultra Analog

speaking of which.. the physical modeling stuff like AAS is pretty cool and unique, if you're into that sort of thing. IMHO Strum, String Studio and Chromaphone sound incredibly lifelike.

Idk what else you could really need.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 pm
I agree - quit worrying about acquiring gear (it's a trap!) and get on with the pure joy of making music! There will always be that shiny new toy on the shelf - just out of reach, but rarely will such an acquisition give you the magic to truly make better music, IMO. You have the tools you need - maybe round them out with a few quality freebies, and let your heart and mind dance in that creative whirlwind of imagination!

SciFiArtMan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:39 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:25 pm
I agree - quit worrying about acquiring gear (it's a trap!) and get on with the pure joy of making music! There will always be that shiny new toy on the shelf - just out of reach, but rarely will such an acquisition give you the magic to truly make better music, IMO. You have the tools you need - maybe round them out with a few quality freebies, and let your heart and mind dance in that creative whirlwind of imagination!
To a degree this is true. However, if one wants to create music in a specific genre that requires very specific sounds, sometimes what you have isn't going to cut it.

For example, I wanted to make as authentic a prog rock CD as possible, emulating groups from the era. What I realized is that in order to do that, I needed a few things that I didn't have, such as an authentic Mellotron emulation. So I went out and got one.

To do orchestral music I needed orchestral libraries. Yeah, I could have used Synth1 but I don't think that was going to convince anybody.

So depending on that kind of music you do or want to do, what you have may or may not be suitable for the job. Otherwise, the whole world would download One Ping Only and call it a day.

Forget all your toys! This is it!
The hottest toy on the block! Oh boy! I have it and I feel all the jealousy from the kids around me here :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHHbV8Zw4g

Very true, Wags. You gotta get the tools you need for the project at hand. I guess I just want to remind people that collecting gear IS a trap, and creating music or soundscapes is the true goal for most of us. It's easy to get lost in a world of pursuing must-have magical new toys, just over the next horizon.

"It's been the ruin of many a poor boy.
And god, I know, I'm one!"

Return to “Instruments”