Basic Geist 2 Qn about linking patterns

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wanna make 128 step loops in Geist 2 that can then just repeat. Long enough for variation,

In the pattern window I only wanna display 64 steps (otherwise it all gets too dinky) so what I (think) I want to do is have 2 patterns of 64 that alternate. So I'm guessing one associated with C and one with C# in that little pattern Keyboard. Can't work out what's going on there and bit lost with the manual.

What's the easiest way to achieve this? Cheers.

(Bought G2 years ago, got out of music, now trying to pick t up again)

Maybe I don´t get the point :neutral:
Create patterns on that C and C# and simply trigger them with your MIDI keyboard or MIDI pattern in your DAW.
The average bored guy

The point is I forget how to do the entire process :)

I already worked out to get the patterns in the corresponding key 'location' by copying and pasting.

I don't want to have to manually get it to change nor do I want to program in the DAW at this point.

Press space bar on DAW and then I want Geist to toggle automatically between the 2 patterns. How can I chain them in Geist, not programming in the DAW?

You could make both patterns 256 and put them in 2 engines. Program the 1st half pattern 1 and the 2nd half of pattern 2. A bit convoluted right.

The other way is to program song mode to repeat the patterns for however long you need. Still convoluted when you could program the midi pattern in your saw and draw it out for the length needed.

Thanks but I don't wanna work with the DAW at this point, Geist is a sequencer.

Maybe I'm not explaining this properly.

I want to write a loop which is, say, 16 bars (or 32, or 64) If I do that inside one pattern it becomes super tiny inside the Pattern page. So instead, I thought I can chain 2 (or 3 or 4) patters together inside Geist. Not really a song (does it have to be inside Song mode?) just some alternating patterns.

I'm not building a song in my DAW, I want to build a long groove inside Geist (which also runs in standalone).

Saw this post when looking for the same solution. :) I agree, it would be nice to program different sequences and have Geist simply switch to them automatically (instead you need to manually switch between patterns). I can't believe they left out this feature. I've since moved back to the DAW for this as I do not think this is possible. Otherwise, Geist is a very powerful drum machine. I loved the probability feature on it, you didn't have to manually punch in it for every step!
Ableton Live 10 / Push

Have to investigate that thing the next days. :band2:
The average bored guy

What about Song mode? Wouldn't that do it?

You're explaining it properly; and the solution, within Geist, is Song Mode, there's no other way to chain patterns together.
samsam wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am Thanks but I don't wanna work with the DAW at this point, Geist is a sequencer.

Maybe I'm not explaining this properly.

I want to write a loop which is, say, 16 bars (or 32, or 64) If I do that inside one pattern it becomes super tiny inside the Pattern page. So instead, I thought I can chain 2 (or 3 or 4) patters together inside Geist. Not really a song (does it have to be inside Song mode?) just some alternating patterns.

I'm not building a song in my DAW, I want to build a long groove inside Geist (which also runs in standalone).
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Thanks folks.

Song Mode it is then, apparently. I'll have a try later, seems straightforward but somewhat overkill for just 2 patterns, we shall see.

Update: I was assuming creating scenes was necessary first. It's not.

Create 2 patters in the Pattern Editor (mapping each to a key/note), then in Song Mode I can draw in 2 sequences, one for each Pattern and let it loop.

Basically focusrite suggested this above and it seems the only way. Taking into account my need to build a groove inside Geist and not inside the DAW, using Song Mode is actually super easy and potentially creative in itself.

Song mode is the way to go, I find it helps me keep things organized as well. Geist handles editing/moving the clips around decently too. The alternative, which can be a bit clunky, is to draw in the corresponding midi note for that sequence in your daw, which is how Geist's little brother, Tremor, does things without the convenience of Song Mode. You can also rename the clips, which might seem like a minor thing, but it really helps when you need to work quickly.
Echo Season
Musician | Sound Designer
www.echoseason.com

Agreed, been playing with Song Mode more, very cool and certainly the solution to what I was looking for.

Return to “Instruments”